$9.99 per month gets you ad-free YouTube with new YouTube Red

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2015 in Internet & Media

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2015

I sure hope they're not going to move background play to a paid-only feature since it's been live and free for a while...

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I was wondering if they were amping up the ads for a reason.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:
    I sure hope they're not going to move background play to a paid-only feature since it's been live and free for a while...

Not on phones. (Without the appropriate Xposed module ;)).

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

And thereby finally forcing you to log in for all video watching.

trooster89

@Thrax said:
    Not on phones. (Without the appropriate Xposed module ;)).

Wait, what? I know I've seen the background play stuff before on my phone, and I don't currently, at least, have any YouTube Xposed modules except AdAway, which doesn't actually work - I just forgot I had it installed. Did this change recently?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:
    Wait, what? I know I've seen the background play stuff before on my phone, and I don't currently, at least, have any YouTube Xposed modules except AdAway, which doesn't actually work - I just forgot I had it installed. Did this change recently?

I don't know of any time that Youtube app has allowed background play without Xposed.

@Snarkasm said:

YT has never allowed background or screen off playback.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited October 2015

On my OPO, if I watch a YouTube video and hit the home button, the audio portion of the video continues to play with a notification that the video is playing in the background. Is that not what you guys are talking about?

Edit: Now it doesn't seem to work. I know that video has continued to work in the background. I have not been dreaming for the last 6 months. I swear.

EDIT for reclamation of sanity: There is a setting in the app for background playback always on, on when headphones or external speakers (Bluetooth) or off. If this is in fact what you are all on about.

Snarkasm
  • I know they are two entirely different services but when you consider Netflix streaming is 20% less for AAA content that you actually want to watch? I'm not sure Google has a plan here. Are people going to pay to load PewDiePie videos 30 seconds faster? I doubt it.

Sono is talking about exactly what I've seen - a little title bar notification that either says 'this video cannot be played in the background' or tells you what's playing.

I would give a Real Talk™ for a screenshot. This is the standard youtube app, right? I see nothing of the sort.

How do you get to that setting?

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

I don't know how to set it up but I get it when I've got bluetooth speakers plugged in.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Settings, Background Play & Offline, under Background set playback to always on.

Snarkasm

Yes! Sono nailed it. That's where I've seen it.

I've never seen that setting in my life, on any Android device. That's why the community built the Xposed module!

Weird. I'm on YT v 10.40.58, but still on Android 4.4.4 right now (rooted and haven't found the time to update satisfactorily).

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited October 2015

I just went looking and those weren't in my settings either. Mine is App ver. 10.37.58 for Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
    I then decided to ask the source about it and it implies that I need a "Music Key" subscription for this feature to work.
    It also said the feature is on be default, and only works on 4.0 and higher.

BobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Wierd. I've got 10.40.58 and Android 4.3 (stock Galaxy S3) and don't see that option. Wish I did. I use YouTube for music quite a bit.

-Digi

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2015

I am on 10.40.58 but Android 5.1 and no such setting exists.

Ah wait - maybe it's a feature of subscribing to Google Music? Maybe that's Rah's Music Key note?

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

If the Google Music subscription allows you to play certain music videos without ads, then probably cause that's what the Music Key is apparently.

edited October 2015

Yep, that's it: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6060868?hl=en

This new service is a replacement for Music Key.

So now I wonder if a Google Music subscription now gets rolled into a Youtube Red subscription...

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

What is YouTube Red
    Google Play Music subscription: Included at no additional cost

-Digi

Snarkasm

@BobbyDigi said:
    What is YouTube Red
    Google Play Music subscription: Included at no additional cost
    -Digi

Sonorous
  • Also from that page, if you have a Google Play Music subscription, you will automatically get YouTube Red at no additional cost when it rolls out.... and I just got 90 days free Google Play Music for preordering a Nexus 5X... :cheers:

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Hmmm, considering that commercial free Hulu is only $12/month and has a lot more content that I choose to consume, I'll deal with a few pre-roll ads.