Router Recommendations

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited October 2015 in Hardware

I currently have the old version of this router and I think it's on it's last legs. It is constantly dropping connections and generally making any kind of streaming through my XBox One (only one room away, maybe 20 feet on the other side of the wall) a PITA. I know I don't have the fastest internet in the world (only about 50mbs down) but the fact that it constantly drops the signal and my Wi-Fi goes out completely causing me to have to reboot seems to point to the fact that the router is dying. The dropping of the connection is happening on my main PC as well that is hardwired into the Router so that causes me to think it's a router issue and not the modem. The modem is a brand new SB6121 Anyways I am looking at getting a new router. Any recommendations on a good one at the Sub $100 price? I'd prefer even Sub $50 if I can help it.

I was looking at this one since it has the newer Gigabit AC rather than the 802.11n that my old one has, but I'm not set on the specific brand I just am familiar with TP-Link and their web interface when issues arise.

TP-Link Archer C2

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

I changed mine a couple weeks ago. Just went to Best Buy and compared them. Price range, power, etc.
    15min later of was out of there.

• Two years after being released I still tend to recommend this router:
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/

I've had 6 people living in my house without issue on this one. It's fast and reliable. Maybe there is something better out there for the price though, so I'd wait a bit and see what other ICers say.

primesuspect
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

If I am going to replace my router anyways, shouldn't I go with the newer Wireless ac over an older Wireless n router?

PirateNinja_k
  • Do you have AC wireless adapters?> @CrazyJoe said:

If I am going to replace my router anyways, shouldn't I go with the newer Wireless ac over an older Wireless n router?

Probably yeah. I'd gamble this one:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444615005&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+ac+router

Not sub $50, but certainly it appears to be a bargain.

• The C2 seems like a neat little inexpensive gateway into wireless AC, but I do find something odd. It doesn't seem to mix broadcast N signals, just 2.4 Ghz, no dual band on N as far as I can tell. This might not seem like a big deal but having the ability to broadcast both bands on compatible N might help you to get a better connection to your Xbox One since it supports both bands (but not AC)

The most useful feature of Wireless AC is the ability to "beamform" with compatible adapters. Your Xbox One won't take advantage of that unless you bridge it to the NIC somehow.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

+1 a million times for the Archer C7.

Also, Google's OnHub router comes from partnering with T-Link (so that's good), and I have a buddy that works for Google (and a wife that creates tea experiences for them), so, y'know, buy almost-my shit.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/networking/ also recommends the Archer C7

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Google OnHub seems pretty sweet but it's way out of his budget.

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

I just picked up a WRT AC1900. This is one of the most amazing consumer networking devices I've ever used. Built in VPN, unbelievable NAS performance, guest network, crazy wireless range, I could go on and on. A bit pricey but worth it considering it will probably last 10 years.

I get 125 down, on my PHONE.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K91DB7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• @primesuspect said:
    Google OnHub seems pretty sweet but it's way out of his budget.

Definitely seems sweet, but it's too pricey and has a waitlist right now.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2015

Anyone have any experience with the Linksys WRT1200AC? I see @doabarrellroll recommended the 1900AC, but that's a bit out of my price range. OfficeMax has the 1200 on sale for $109 and I have a $25 off $75 coupon.

Never mind. They wouldn't accept the coupon on Technology. Grrr. Probably going to go with the C7.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2015

If you want I have a Netgear WNDR 4500 N900 http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA0AJ1003050 you can have for 3 Cheerios box tops and pm me your addy. It has just been sitting here for the past 2 years collecting dust. I can get out the door next weekend.

Edit:
    I have not had the problems I just read in the Newegg link posted. The fan is quiet and drop's were fixed with a firmware upgrade.

primesuspect