Laptop dies when Aero theme is enabled

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member

Trying to help out a friend of mine whose laptop DELL 1555 is shutting down spontaneously (no BSOD, no warning). So I figured it's probably heat related, stripped it down and reapplied thermal paste and pads, fan and heatsink was clean and clear. Laptop is still warm in the vicinity of the GPU and I have noticed that the laptop stays on for an entire re-install of Windows and operates fine in safe mode. I've now noticed that the laptop shuts down when Aero theme is switched on, or if I navigate to youtube (so basically anything even slightly graphic intensive. Sooooo....my question is, should I bother stripping it down and trying with a different CPU or is this definitely GPU related? If it's GPU can anyone think of a fix (short of replacing the mobo)? Cheers.

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I'd say the GPU is cooked with about 80% confidence. This is the same behavior I saw with my previous GPU. It was fine for normal activities, but anything that made the GPU actually do work got ugly almost immediately.

Sounds like you've taken care of any cooling/ventilation, so failing that it sounds like it's just too far gone.

On the outside change that it's a discreet GPU installed, you may be able to find a replacement for it. Anything integrated to the MoBo isn't going to be worth messing with.

• Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member

Yeah definitely integrated so looks like it's fubar....I'll see if I can find a cheap mobo replacement for him. Thanks for getting back to me :)

• allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian

run hardware monitor from cpuid.com and check the GPU temperature, there is mostlikey u need another thermal pad or copper shim for the GPU