THE WORLD CHAMPION KANSAS CITY ROYALS!!!!

WinfreyWinfrey waddafuhMissouri Icrontian

OMFG THEY FUCKING DID IT!!! THOSE MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!!!!

UPSLynxPirateNinjaaspieRommel

Comments

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited November 2015

Introducing your 2015 World Series Champions....

Looks like I'm adding a new year to my legacy banner.

LET'S GO ROYALS!

ForeverRoyal

Winfrey
    edited November 2015

YEAH BABY!!!! DAT HOSMER RUN!

CROWNED

Winfrey
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2015

mhmm. I never thought I'd see this happen. Growing up the Royals were so bad for so long. And now this year and last we get this group that's so great to root for. This year's team was absolutely absurd.

THEY GAVE NO FUCKS. Even that game against the Blue Jays in the ALCS where Cueto gave the Blue Jays an easy 8 runs. The Royals, STILL ALMOST CAME BACK. These guys had an absolute historic run in the postseason winning more games from behind than any other team in the history of the game.

Just fucking incredible.

aspieRommelUPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Cannot believe that comeback. I was on my flight home watching the game via wifi, as just about half the plane was also doing. Going into the 9th you just knew the game was over. But that comeback. No one saw it coming. That comeback was absolutely insane. I just could not believe I was watching the Mets blow what looked like a sure win.

People on the plane were cheering and clapping and going nuts. It was an experience.

Immediately makes me think about the call to keep Havey in throwing ball for that last inning. As soon as the broadcast showed Harvey going back and forth with the staff, I knew in my gut that this would be a clutch point for the game. I don't think they would have changed the outcome by not sending him out to pitch one last inning, but it sure is an interesting twist. What a game.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

You've had your fun now kindly retake your position in the cellar of the division

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I had a sad. But hey, on the bright side, the Mets weren't even supposed to have made it to the postseason at all. Let's hope they can repeat their success next season.

edited November 2015

@Karma said:
    You've had your fun now kindly retake your position in the cellar of the division

Never, but I believe the Tigers are interested in the position.

edited November 2015

You could see Harvey mouthing, "No way" to Manager Terry Collins in the dugout before the ninth. Collins later said that he should have gone with his gut and taken him out. Still though, Hosmer scoring on that mad dash and the throw being wild was a pretty big holy shit moment.

The way the teams matched up though, it seemed like the Royals were going to be really hard for the Mets to beat. Especially with the way their infield defense played, yikes.

UPSLynxaspieRommel
    edited November 2015

@UPSLynx said:
    Cannot believe that comeback.

But that comeback. No one saw it coming.

That comeback was absolutely insane.

You have to realize that that is what they will be known for when people talk of this post-season. There were times where it seemed that they were on the verge of having their season cut short only to have them rally and come back to win it. The series against the Astros would be the best example but the ALCS against the Blue Jays is up there as well. With the Astros, they were on the verge of being knocked out. Even the Gov. of Texas tweeted his congrats before the Royals came back. With the Blue Jays, all you need to look at is Game 2. The Royals were out of it until the bottom of the 7th, posting 5(?) (Didn't get to watch all of it) runs and winning it to take a 2-0 lead in the series. As one guy said (I believe it was Raul Ibanez) after Game 5 "They are a team. They don't care who's getting the spotlight and glory, they do what they need to do for the team".

All I will say is that was one hell of a ride. Let's do it again for 2016.

I mean I turned off the game against the Astros. ALDS game 4. In the 7th the Royals had a 1.6 Percent Chance to Win.

But I should have known better. After all there has only been 1 team in the HISTORY OF BASEBALL to comeback from a 4 run or greater deficit in the 7th inning or later in a postseason elimination game to win the game. And that team would be... The 2014 Kansas City Royals.

These guys didn't give a fuck. Their performance highlighted the very basic fact of baseball which is that the game isn't over until the final out is recorded. Don't strike out, put the ball in play, play defense better than anyone else in the league, and have the best bullpen in baseball. Using devil magic or acts of God along the way.

I can't tell you how satisfying it is to win the World Series this year. Having watched this franchise be just absolute garbage for nearly 20 years. The butt of every joke. The embarrassment of being a Royals fan was real. 10 years ago the Royals lost 19 games in a row. They lost games when the first baseman would bean their pitcher in the face on a throw to home. Or lose when a routine flyball to centerfield, HITS A BIRD. And there are more. So many more agonizing terrible horrible moments. And now there is this team and last years team. Many bloggers and writers now not only have to admit the Royals are the World Champions, they also freely admit to them being legitimately the most complete and best team in baseball.

What a fucking ride.

edited November 2015

@Winfrey said:
    And now there is this team and last years team. Many bloggers and writers now not only have to admit the Royals are the World Champions, they also freely admit to them being legitimately the most complete and best team in baseball.

What a fucking ride.

OH Come on @Winfrey you can't link fangraphs and then in the same paragraph say that the MLB Playoffs unequivocally prove that some team is the best. They play 162 games then it suddenly comes down to winning 11 games. The playoffs will always be a crapshoot and the Royals just won this time. A very good team but can't possibly say with absolute certainty they were the best.

It's in MOneyball how much Billy Beane despises the playoffs because he puts together a team to win 162. The playoffs are great for picking the best teams but not for picking the best team. So once you get 4(6) really good teams there it kinda just comes down to the luck of the draw.

Edit: LOL at that bird hitting video. I was at that game I just remember sitting there going duh fuck. But man some of those players DeRosa, Choo, Caroll, Martinez man. The Indians were weird in 2009.

I didn't say anything about the playoffs proving a team is the best, just that many people are stating that now about a team (my team) which for so long was absolutely one of the worst. And that is satisfying.

I agree the playoffs are a crapshoot and I would have been happy but a little disappointed with a game 4 exit against the Astros. Especially considering they had such a great season, with winning the Central for the first time ever and having the most wins in the American League.

anyways Looking forward to the split head to head like every year series with the Royals.

Just gotta wait about 108 more days, till next season I suppose.

@Winfrey said:
    Just gotta wait about 108 more days, till next season I suppose.

and roughly 365 for Cleveland to have won it all :)

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

WinfreyaspieRommel

@Winfrey , to be quite honest, I was hoping they would lose Game 5 so they could bring it back to the K to close it (like in '85). But as soon as Hosmer scored that run and we pinned 5 more in the 11th, I stopped caring where we won it at and just wanted Davis to not blow it.

Which is definitely something Wade Davis does not do. I'm pretty sure at this point he's the first of the Terminators created by Skynet. Just happened to want to play baseball.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2015

> World Champions
    > Only plays in North America

CB

@Thrax said:
    > World Champions
    > Only plays in North America

Are you referring to teams or people?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

The sport.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

That's not true. There is baseball played all over the world. There are professional leagues on all continents (except Antarctica) and even a college league on Antarctica.)

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Right, but those teams don't play our teams, how can we call our team the WORLD champion.

That is what @thrax was referring to.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

World Cup == world champions of soccer. There is no equivalent baseball tourney, therefore it is silly to say World Champs ;)

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    World Cup == world champions of soccer. There is no equivalent baseball tourney, therefore it is silly to say World Champs ;)

well...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2015

Okay, pedants - it is silly to call the winner of the US 'World Series' "world champs" since no teams from outside the United States compete in it. For that matter, it's pretty silly to call it the World Series, too. Satisfied? :P

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Well TIL! So, my point stands that KC shouldn't be called World Champs ;)

Anyways, props to KC for winning it and these longtime fans!

@Snarkasm said:
    Okay, pedants - it is silly to call the winner of the US 'World Series' "world champs" since no teams from outside the United States compete in it. For that matter, it's pretty silly to call it the World Series, too. Satisfied? :P

What about the Toronto Blue Jays (which KC beat to go to the World Series)?

My point is: Who cares?

So what that some people call their teams "world champs" when they win the championship?

I bet a lot of Chicago Blackhawks fans are calling their team "world champions".

I bet if the Detroit Lions (miraculously) win the Super Bowl, @Church4252 will be on here calling the team "The world champion Detroit Lions".

So why do we have to be grammar Nazis about it? Let me, @Winfrey , and the other Royals fans out there celebrate.

BobbyDigifatcat

@fatcat said:

Just want to point out that I have been rockin' out to this for the past few days, and I don't live in KC.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Troll successful. gj KC.

Ryder