Crashplan friends club

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I am a Crashplan user.

One of the things Crashplan does is allow you to share (highly encrypted) backup chunks with your friends for free. You can decide how much drive space to allocate to your friends and they can, in return, allocate some drive space to you. Crashplan handles all the logistics.

Anyways, I'm perfectly willing to give up some chunks of storage to other IC crashplan users. I've been doing this with @Kwitko for years.

If anybody wants to join the shared IC backup pool, post here.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

How much bandwidth does this use?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

You can allocate as much or as little as you want. I have mine set to unlimited.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2015

Few other questions:

1. How much space do you allocate for others? Like how much is @Kwitko currently using?
    2. How long did your initial backup take and how much data was it? Are you backing up your whole machine or just your main drive/partition or something?
    3. How would this compare to Acronis True Image, which is what I've recently used?
    4. What's restoring like? What type of failure is Crashplan for?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@primesuspect, you haven't CrashPlanned with me in a while. I was never able to connect to your machine. We need to reconnect.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

So you are saying your planned Crashplan crashed?

-Digi

SonorousLinc
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    So you are saying your planned Crashplan crashed?

-Digi

edited November 2015

@BlackHawk said:
    Few other questions:

1. How much space do you allocate for others? Like how much is Kwitko currently using?
    2. How long did your initial backup take and how much data was it? Are you backing up your whole machine or just your main drive/partition or something?
    3. How would this compare to Acronis True Image, which is what I've recently used?
    4. What's restoring like? What type of failure is Crashplan for?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

1) I give 250gb to each person, but I have more space than I used to, so I could always up that
    2) I dunno. I have 110mb internet and it was done overnight. I never bothered to time it. Started it, went to bed. I backup most of my machine sans Steam and WoW directories because fuck that
    3) I don't know
    4) Restoring, I've done it once. I browsed for the file on the website through a normal file tree, restored on the web. It pushed the file to my PC. Flawless.

Seth, I dunno. It says we're friends and you're still authorized. I'll remove you and then we can reconnect.

My friend backup code is 7YTDFG