Rocket Fiber announces world's fastest residential internet connections - in Detroit

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Today Rocket Fiber announced 10gbbps home internet packages as well as 100gb business packages for the city of Detroit. The roll-out starts downtown and will extend outward from there.

Gimmicky, to be sure, in the sense that 10gb is pretty much insane for a home internet connection and consumer-level equipment can't even begin to take advantage of that, but there it is.

GnomeQueenZanthianBobbyDigi

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I bet I could find a fire-sale on some Infiniband or other 10Gb equipment.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2015

I mean, you don't even really need 10Gb equipment, just a 1Gpbs switch with a single 10Gbps uplink.... then 10+ devices with a Gig-E connection. Presto, the ability to saturate your absurd home connection.

Ooh... or a single computer with 10 Gig-E connections all port-channeled into one if you have a managed switch with a 10Gbps port for the uplink!

• So basically Rocket Fiber is Ron Jeremy and our home is Mini Mya?

Seriously though, that is one fat pipe! What is the cost? What I'd do for reasonably priced 500 Mbps much less 10gb

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

1gb = $70/mo
    10g = $300/mo

• 1gb for $70 is actually practical. You might not saturate it entirely but if you have a busy house with multiple devices going, a good Wireless AC WiFi network, it's actually sensible. Consider me jealous Detroit.... Still, do you have.....

THESE!!!

GnomeQueen
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

We pay more than that right now for 10x less bandwidth, so yeah. Bye bye Comcast.

PirateNinjaLinc
  • @primesuspect said:
    Bye bye Comcast.

Words I long to say... Someday Lightspeed will roll out to my area, at least that's what I keep telling myself.