Steam Controller

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I got a Steam controller.

One thing I'll say about it is that it's weird. It's a bit too big for my hands, so I have to stretch just a tiny bit to hit the X and Y buttons. Not a huge big deal overall but definitely some ergonomic concern for extended play.

I really like the haptic engine on the control pad surfaces. It's hard to describe until you feel it. The pads vibrate so rapidly that it feels like sandpaper or some kind of textured surface. I can't really put it into words but it's a very satisfying sort of feedback to let you know you're moving around.

I haven't yet found a game that REALLY takes advantage of all the features it has to offer but so far it's a solid controller for games that support it.

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I have most of the same thoughts about the controller as well. I've really only played some platformers with it so far. Will try to see how it does with fighting or racing games.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but from what I've heard from people that have been using them heavily the last week or so, you do get used to it after time, and you'll even become proficient. I haven't seen anyone say that it beats a mouse in any game yet, seems like there aren't a lot of games that really take advantage of it yet.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I got mine last month in the first-ish shipment of preorders and my opinion hasn't changed much. As a game controller it's not so good for the exact reason @primesuspect noted - it feels too damn big and the ABXY buttons are badly placed.

As an HTPC controller it's a fantastic mouse/keyboard replacement, doubly so within Steam's Big Picture mode.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2015

It was all about adjusted expectations for me.

In Jan 2014 at the Steam Developer conference they were talking about it like it was in deep development, around the corner. Steam Machines, the controller, their vision for the PC living room takeover was near fruition. Flash forward nearly two years to receive this? Valve's strategy for the living room isn't there yet.

Loading poll...

http://strawpoll.me/5993150

• SignalSignal Icrontian

As a dude with tiny hands this is disappointing.

mertesn
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

As a dude with big hands, this is okay.

CantiRahnalH102RyanFodderAlexDeGruven
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

Having received a unit as well, I agree; the controller does take some adjustment. For me, it feels like Valve wants to get away from the ABXY buttons with the addition of the grip buttons under the controller. They're really pushing for the multipurpose haptic pads. However, you can't completely hack off the ABXY completely on the first go without alienating gamers that have grown so accustomed to using them. So, instead, they put the buttons there, and made them a little uncomfortable to use. Either way, it's time to shake up the controller business. The xbox and ps controllers have been unchanged for far too long. Good on Valve for releasing something different.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

didnt buy one because of the comments on size, but then i remembered how much i loved the original xbox controller. now i think i might want to get one of these...

...added to wishlist. anyone tried steam link yet?

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

Been using one occasionally since Nov, and as someone with big hands, it works well for me. Surprising number of buttons that to me, seem to have a good pressure-to-activate feel. Haven't used the haptic stuff much, but it's a surprisingly useful midway between controller and mouse.

I wish the analog controls had just a bit more range to them, but that may be more my problem since I am very not used to analog sticks on controllers (most of my console gaming was done before they were implemented).

i have a strong feeling that i will adapt well to the haptic pads. one of the reasons i always struggled with FPS Games is that the analog sticks are so damn inaccurate, and i have just barely started messing with FPS with a mouse and keyboard. i suspect this wont be such a chore for me to adapt to because i never really liked the old game pads anyway
    its like the gamepad i always wanted.

at least i hope so.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    edited January 2016
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian

Ohai! Comments, critique, & suggestions welcome :)

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

So I've had it for about a week - easiest way to describe my first impressions it is all my life I've been trained trained to use my "trigger fingers" as my index fingers, but the steam controller wants to make it my middle finger. Is weird.

_kHeroRyanFodder

ive actually been using my middle fingers as trigger fingers for some games so i would have quicker access to the bumper buttons with my index fingers. could make transition easier for me.

• lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian

@Hero said:
    ive actually been using my middle fingers as trigger fingers for some games so i would have quicker access to the bumper buttons with my index fingers. could make transition easier for me.

I've tried that a bit, too, but it feels not great to hit the left & right paddles on the back with my ring fingers. Guess it depends on the config you're using and the game.

edited February 2016

yeah, i also use my middle fingers a lot in normal dextrous acts in my life. hardware manipulation(like threading nuts and bolts), pointing at things, etc.

im a bit weird like that

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

After using the Steam Controller in a few different scenarios, I've come to the conclusion that the thing just isn't for me. It's attempting to solve a problem that doesn't need a solution. Game controller function and ergonomics are the result of decades of R&D, and we didn't get to where we are by accident. The paradigm doesn't need a shift this big, and if PC gamers are destined to play from the couch, then I don't think this is the step required to make that happen.

I dunno. The tech is neat, but it's just not something I need.

i think its an issue of transitioning to a system that will provide more options to improve controllers into the future. as games get bigger and better, their control schemes benefit from more input options(ie buttons, thumbsticks, touch pads, triggers, clench buttons, etc.) and the steam controller is like taking a step back so that your games can evolve into an ultimately more advanced experience. innovation is not always widely accepted, but it can pave the way for future innovation to improve on the accepted methods.

If that makes sense to people who are not in my head.

• So... I picked up a Steam Link and Steam Controller while they were on sale on Amazon last week. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. Streaming games to the Link is working surprisingly well. I've had a couple issues but nothing big really. I also am liking the Steam Controller so far. It does take some getting used to, what with how low the buttons are on it, but I have big hands and other controllers always felt too cramped for me. My favorite controller historically was a third party PS1 controller I had a while back which was bigger than the standard PS1 controller. I've not yet tried the controller with any non-controller games, so I'm not sure how well I'll fare on that but it definitely works well for me on games built for controllers.

With how well streaming is working for me, I'm now considering moving my gaming rig to my workshop and putting a low powered computer running Linux on my desk at home. Have nothing but my game library on the gaming rig running under an automatic login account then use streaming to the Link or to the Linux box to actually play games. Especially since I can use Wake on LAN to turn the gaming rig on any time I want to play.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    So... I picked up a Steam Link and Steam Controller while they were on sale on Amazon last week. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. Streaming games to the Link is working surprisingly well. I've had a couple issues but nothing big really. I also am liking the Steam Controller so far. It does take some getting used to, what with how low the buttons are on it, but I have big hands and other controllers always felt too cramped for me. My favorite controller historically was a third party PS1 controller I had a while back which was bigger than the standard PS1 controller. I've not yet tried the controller with any non-controller games, so I'm not sure how well I'll fare on that but it definitely works well for me on games built for controllers.

With how well streaming is working for me, I'm now considering moving my gaming rig to my workshop and putting a low powered computer running Linux on my desk at home. Have nothing but my game library on the gaming rig running under an automatic login account then use streaming to the Link or to the Linux box to actually play games. Especially since I can use Wake on LAN to turn the gaming rig on any time I want to play.

Have you played any games where latency is critical? While not Steam Link, I did try streaming on my Nvidia Shield TV and basketball games were unplayable. HUD size was also a problem for me since it looked too small on the TV.

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
  • @BlackHawk said:
    Have you played any games where latency is critical? While not Steam Link, I did try streaming on my Nvidia Shield TV and basketball games were unplayable. HUD size was also a problem for me since it looked too small on the TV.

Sort of? Played Rogue Legacy, Shovel Knight and Super Meat Boy, all of which are somewhat latency critical.... twitchy platforming and all. I haven't had a single issue. That said, everything is full gigabit wired ethernet. From what I've heard and read, latency is only really a problem if you're trying to do Steam streaming over WiFi.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Maybe I should try streaming on my Shield again since I recently wired my desktop PC. Last time I used it the Shield was wired but the desktop was on AC1900 WiFi.

• Finally played a game that was keyboard/mouse only last night using the controller. It actually worked pretty damn well in my opinion. I was able to play Beyond Good & Evil pretty smoothly with it. I can definitely see how it wouldn't work well for every keyboard & mouse game, but I suppose that's why you can still hook a keyboard and mouse up to the Link.