new heatsink and fan...

qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
edited January 2004 in Hardware
and now the comp won't boot. applied Arctic Silver 5 just as their website says, installed the heatsink and fan, starts up for maybe 3 seconds and shuts down... any ideas? yippie... :-/

Athlon 2100+
Gigabyte GA7AXP
Radeon 9000Pro 128MB
Audigy OEM
WD600
WD1200JB

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Did you plug in the power connector to the fan? I did this the other day and it shut down automatically due to overheating - good thing too, or I would have lost the processor!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited January 2004
    make sure the heatsink is seated properly, it sounds like the overheating protection is kicking in.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    yep, plugged the fan into the same 3pin slot as I had my old one. and I've tried reseating it 4 times to no avail.
    edited January 2004
    What heatsink/fan did you use on it?
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    SLK900A with an Enermax 92mm fan.
    edited January 2004
    clear the cmos, and try again.
    edited January 2004
    Hmm. that's the same HSF setup I've got in my Primary rig. Is it the adjustable 92MM fan? It might not be turning fast enough to cool it enough.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    it was cranked up to max when I first tried it, so I dunno. lookin for the jumper to reset it now...
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    andwhe you put the heatsink on, did you make sure it's the right side??, because the CPU socket is higher on one end, u know that one bump, gottta have you heatsink in the same way.
    edited January 2004
    Right - that's what Geeky referred to when he said 'seated properly.'
    ... You don't smell anything strange like burning plastic or ozone do you? If you check the seating of the hsf again, pull the CPU and check the underside for scoring or blistering.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    nope, heatsink has been put on correctly everytime, and I haven't fried my cpu (yet). how do I reset the CMOS though, there's no jumper on my mobo at all. will it work if I just unplug the comp and take the battery out for a few minutes?
    edited January 2004
    that'll work. be sure to put the battery back in correctly with regards to polarity, though
    edited January 2004
    And press the power button to make sure that it gets all the residual electricity out of the capacitors.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    woot, didn't even need to reset the CMOS. took the heatsink off one more time, and reseated it again. I guess it was just barely sitting on the little lip on the edge of the cpu-holster-thing.

thanks guys. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2004
    I'm glad you got it working! Thank goodness for overheat shutdown protection though!
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    indeedy. :)
    edited January 2004
    I hate to do this (actually, I don't), but:

I TOLD YOU SO.

:D
    edited January 2004
    ;D
    Pwned! ;)
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    I hate to do this (actually, I don't), but:

I TOLD YOU SO.

:D

:aol: lol, it was well earned though. I never had that problem before so I just overlooked it. :buck:
    edited January 2004
    Could've been worse. The one time I made that mistake it was on an ASUS A7M-266 with a 1.4GHz TBird.

1.4GHz Tbird go bye-bye. Why couldn't I have had a phoenix-core athlon? ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    ... You don't smell anything strange like burning plastic or ozone do you?

Yup, its the 'OH NO!' smell! Yes, speaking from first hand experience.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2004
    I fried a 1ghz Duron that I was using in my parents comp. Didn't get the hsf seated good and fried it in seconds.