R9 200 GPU Fan Not Working

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian

This is one of the graphics cards from Epic this year, not sure what model exactly but its an R9 in the 200 family.

I noticed recently playing Fallout that it was sounding pretty loud, so I decided to take it out and clean any junk out and it was clean. Great job Lian Li.

So, I put the card back in and powered it up to see if one of the fans was dead and that seemed to be the issue. Quick google and noticed someone said only one fan worked unless they manually set the speed to above 80%. Downloaded the sapphire thingy and set the fan to 81%, boom it kicked on. Its noticeably not spinning as fast as the other fan, but its working.

I assume I need to replace the fan, unless anyone else knows of this issue and has a solution but I couldn't search up any good answers other than take fan apart and lube the bearings...

That said I am not sure exactly what card I have, everything in my system info says R9 200 series but I cant remember exactly what model it is to get a replacement fan. @primesuspect do you have the prize list written down anywhere?

Comments

• https://www.piriform.com/speccy

This program should give you the model information for everything on your PC.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I think this is it.

MAGIC
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

What driver. There was a fan RPM bug for about 5 days in the Radeon Software Crimson Edition driver. The RSCE 15.11.1 hotfix solved this.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

hope you can get it fixed. i sent my GPU to sapphires RMA department and never got it back. the company is called Althon. if you have to have it serviced, i would try to avoid Althon if at all possible.

edited December 2015

@XGPHero said:
    hope you can get it fixed. i sent my GPU to sapphires RMA department and never got it back. the company is called Althon. if you have to have it serviced, i would try to avoid Althon if at all possible.

@XGPHero Email me at Robert.Hallock(at)amd.com with all available details, including proof of purchase, RMA correspondence, GPU model #, receipt, etc.

primesuspectMAGIC
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    What driver. There was a fan RPM bug for about 5 days in the Radeon Software Crimson Edition driver. The RSCE 15.11.1 hotfix solved this.

Looks like I have 15.2 installed.

Okay, that's not it. That's 10 months old. Probably faulty hardware.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@XGPHero said:

I'm seeing what you were getting at. Sapphire is very unhelpful and from what I can tell seem to be referring me to Althon Micro, but have yet to tell me how to contact them. I think I'll just buy replacement fans off Ebay rather than deal with, what seems like its going to be, a huge pain in the ass.