'Murican Football 2015

Comments

• Joey Porter went on that field to bait a player into a little extra. This has always been a facet of Steeler football, instigate, second guy always gets the flag. Porter was masterful at it as a player, still finding a way as a coach, Ward was probably the best ever, those guys play that kind of football. Mind games. Shame because the Cinci D played so well up until the end.

GHoosdum
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Joey Porter went on that field to bait a player into a little extra. This has always been a facet of Steeler football, instigate, second guy always gets the flag. Porter was masterful at it as a player, still finding a way as a coach, Ward was probably the best ever, those guys play that kind of football. Mind games. Shame because the Cinci D played so well up until the end.

Agreed. Why didn't Porter get a flag for being on the field? He wasn't there to help Brown off the field, so I thought that should have been a penalty.

Anyways, the Bengals should get rid of Marvin Lewis. The play calling in that game was awful. Why wouldn't you rush more than 3 guys against Roethlisberger when he was obviously hurting and couldn't throw. Argh!! The Bengals snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

this entire season has been all about the final two minutes
    well, so far 2/2 on away team wins

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

Well I knew the Texans were bad but I didn't think they were that bad.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

While not a devout fan, I do watch some. This year I decided to watch what I could of the playoffs. Well the Cincy -Pburg game was my first of the season and all I can say. Is what a circus!

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

While not a devout fan, I do watch some. This year I decided to watch what I could of the playoffs. Well the Cincy -Pburg game was my first of the season and all I can say is, what a circus!

well, all the away teams won. so that leaves us with:

Kansas City @ New England
    Pittsburgh @ Denver

Seattle @ Carolina
    Green Bay @ Arizona

Obviously I'm rooting for NE and Pitt so the AFC championship game can be in Foxboro. I don't think Seattle can beat the Panthers at home, but the Arizona/Green Bay game with Rodgers back in his groove could go either way

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

if you like visuals

BobbyDigiHero
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Now to see KC do that to the Cheate.... I mean fil..... I mean Patri.... no I mean cheaters

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@CrazyJoe said:

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Joey Porter went on that field to bait a player into a little extra. This has always been a facet of Steeler football, instigate, second guy always gets the flag. Porter was masterful at it as a player, still finding a way as a coach, Ward was probably the best ever, those guys play that kind of football. Mind games. Shame because the Cinci D played so well up until the end.

Agreed. Why didn't Porter get a flag for being on the field? He wasn't there to help Brown off the field, so I thought that should have been a penalty.

Anyways, the Bengals should get rid of Marvin Lewis. The play calling in that game was awful. Why wouldn't you rush more than 3 guys against Roethlisberger when he was obviously hurting and couldn't throw. Argh!! The Bengals snatched defeat from the jaws of victory yet again.

Because coaches are allowed on the field during injury timeouts. Also I believe Jones was given the flag for touching a ref which is actually grounds for ejection not just a flag.

Marvin Lewis will be there next year because if nothing else the Browns (Cinci owners not the team) don't want to have to pay Lewis not to coach for them.

Edit: I have never wanted two teams to lose more than I did on Saturday night.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2016

"Assistants are not allowed on the field during injury timeouts. Medical staff, trainers, attendants and the head coach can come out to check on the welfare of the player."

Regardless, the ref calls and the media narrative will continue to support the large market teams more than the small market teams. Thus, KC will be playing against the Pats and the Refs next week.

There's ample evidence to suggest that the Steelers make a habit of inciting something that draws a flag based upon the other team's reaction. That behavior isn't limited to the AFC North rivalry.

edited January 2016

@GHoosdum I think that is one of those rules that just isn't enforced like the first and third base coaching boxes. Look at the Bengals at the same time.
    EDIT: Not the same time. But at some other point in the game.

GHoosdum
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

They said later that it would normally be a penalty, but it was allowed because there was serious concern for the health of the player (i.e. he got knocked the fuck out).

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2016

Interesting article on the matter:
    http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/bengals-steelers-referees-vontaze-burfict-antonio-brown-joey-porter/

"In a game both teams deserved to lose, the referees made the call about who won"

"But let’s say that the NFL had called Shazier and Porter for personal fouls, and the Bengals won the game. What are we talking about today? Maybe we’re talking about how the Steelers play dirty football, something that has been said for years. Maybe we’re talking about how Mike Tomlin so lost control of his team that he had TWO COACHES get personal foul penalties (offensive line coach Mike Munchak had received one earlier). Maybe we’re wondering about Tomlin’s humanity and feelings for his players considering he put a debilitated Ben Roethlisberger into the game barely a minute after it was clear Roethlisberger was much too hurt to play."

And this:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/195380/faq-a-chaotic-fourth-quarter-of-calls-in-steelers-bengals

"But the failure to make a call on Shazier's third-quarter hit seemed to raise emotions to a higher level. The game quickly got out of hand. Parry would have been more than justified for ejecting Burfict following the hit on Brown, but that play was too late in the game to regain any control."

I don't think the Bengals are dirty. I think Vontaze Burfict is and not just because of Saturday but all the way back to high school when reports have him trying to take out Matt Barkley's knees. Basically he is just a major asshole. Kind of happy he fucked it up for the Bengals.

The Shazier hit wasnt on a defenseless receiver but could be a leading with the crown of the helmet but that is really hard to see in real time since the crown and the facemask are just inches away.

GHoosdum
  • @Karma said:
    The Shazier hit wasnt on a defenseless receiver but could be a leading with the crown of the helmet but that is really hard to see in real time since the crown and the facemask are just inches away.

True, but there was ample time for the officials to review during the injury timeout. Instead the challenge ended up turning the ball over, literally adding insult to injury. I kind of agree with the ESPN article that this missed call escalated an already tense situation.

But no part of me thinks Burfict was clean or justified in his actions.

edited January 2016

Unfortunately it's not allowed in the rules to assess a penalty in a review. Meaning they couldn't go back and call the personal foul. So the refs had to go into the review as if the play was clean and decide from there. We shall see if personal fouls become reviewable. I doubt it because that would be a lot of reviews. The NFL doesn't care that much about player safety.

GHoosdum
  • True. I didn't expect them to call the penalty upon review, rather, something like I saw last week at the game against the Ravens: the jumbotron replayed the hit a bunch of times while the player was down, giving the ref the chance to throw the late but legit flag.

@Karma said:

@CrazyJoe said:

@Cliff_Forster said:

Because coaches are allowed on the field during injury timeouts.

Technically only the training staff and the HC are allowed by rule. Also Porter was in the middle of the Bengals chirping at them, not near the injured player. He knew exactly what he was doing and it worked to perfection.

GHoosdum
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:

@Karma said:

@CrazyJoe said:

@Cliff_Forster said:

Because coaches are allowed on the field during injury timeouts.

Technically only the training staff and the HC are allowed by rule. Also Porter was in the middle of the Bengals chirping at them, not near the injured player. He knew exactly what he was doing and it worked to perfection.

This may be the rule. But pretty much any time there is a major injury like that (see karma's pic above), more than just training and HC go on the field.

IMO, the thing that seals pacman jones getting a penalty there is that porter was jawing with 3-4 members of the bengals and nothing was going down. Then pacman comes in, pushes through a ref, and grabs porter. Maybe if he had just reacted like the rest of the team (shit talking back), rather than committing one of the fouls that is called literally every time (pushing a ref), I'd have some sympathy for this discussion.

Instead, your two dirtiest players got stupid penalties at the end of the game because they couldn't control their emotions, securing their loss.

edited January 2016

Oh I absolutely agree, they were dumb penalties and they should have just shut their mouths and let the game play out.

Also reports are coming out that the Steelers gave Porter a game ball and if that's true that's pretty classless by them.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    Also reports are coming out that the Steelers gave Porter a game ball and if that's true that's pretty classless by them.

Lol that sounds pretty standard for the Steelers. It seems silly to me that in a game like football everyone gets caught up in "teams should play fair" or "this teams is dishonorable" etc. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The point of the entire exercise is to win the game. Milllions of dollars, head coaching jobs, player careers and more depend on winning. Do whatever it takes. There's no incentive to losing a game with integrity. That doesn't get you anywhere in the NFL.

edited January 2016

@CrazyJoe said:

Hilarious if true. I wish more teams trolled each other the NFL needs more fun.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited January 2016

well, LA Rams and... LA Chargers. wonder if it will be called Dodge stadium

Creeperbane2GHoosdum

Well @fatcat it's not the LA Chargers yet. It may be after next year WE SHALL SEE. I hope not.

@Karma said:
    Well @fatcat it's not the LA Chargers yet. It may be after next year WE SHALL SEE. I hope not.

ah, you're correct. I read the press release wrong

• Interesting. I really thought that the Raiders/Chargers cooperative proposal was going to be the accepted solution.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

That was the first proposal that got shot down earlier in the day. The second one for Inglewood was approved by a 30-2 vote for the Rams to move to LA with the Chargers being allowed to follow if they do not reach a deal with San Diego. If the Chargers stays they will be granted a additional 100 million for the stadium and then the Raiders have the option to move to LA. If the Raiders somehow reach a deal with Oakland then they also will receive a additional 100 million for their stadium.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

Chargers and raiders have 1 year to come up with stadium proposals or they don't get the 100 million