Drive Image on Stand Alone PC

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian

I am working with a Windows 7 PC that I can not connect to the Internet. I want to create an image of the HD in that machine. I have an external Seagate HD that I can hook up to this PC via USB. How to I go about creating the image? What software do I use, and how do I install it? Software needs to be free. The problem I am running into is that all freeware I can find needs Internet access during installation. Many thanks and Happy New Year to you all from NZ!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Clonezilla or the Linux utility dd

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited January 2016

If you want to create a disk image, try Disk2VHD.

If you want to clone the drive, you'll also have to use VHD2Disk.

• fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian

I downloaded Clonezilla earlier today, and ended up with a zip archive full of stuff. I had no idea what to do with it. There was only one exe and when I clicked on it, nothing happened :bawl:

I'll check out Disk2VHD to see if it's more suitable for dummies like me!

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2016

Windows 7 will also create an image itself that can then be restored to a PC with the Windows 7 install media.

Just go to backup and recovery under control panel.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@Tushon said:

I second dd. Making a linux pen drive is absurdly easy nowadays with unetbootin, and cloning a disk is literally one CLI command (well, technically two if the distro you put on your pen drive auto-mounts). That's it. No GUI, no nothing. Type, type, type, enter, wait, done.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:

@Tushon said:

I second dd. Making a linux pen drive is absurdly easy nowadays with unetbootin, and cloning a disk is literally one CLI command (well, technically two if the distro you put on your pen drive auto-mounts). That's it. No GUI, no nothing. Type, type, type, enter, wait, done.

That command would be:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/new_hard_disk_volume_label/old_hard_disk_image.img

• fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian

Thanks! I appreciate all the input.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I recently used Clonezilla to move a Windows 10 system disk to an SSD. Worked first time, fast and easy. I had never used it before.

• I love Clonezilla. Makes drive imaging so simple.