Tell me about coffee

2»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Signal said:
    He brought a manual coffee grinder and an aereo press camping if that's any indication. Also, that's one hell of a necro Bobby

(The grinder was Jimmy's. He also brought his own AeroPress :D)

@CB said:
    I went into the break room yesterday to make an Iced Chai Latte at the K-machine, but they were out of Chai Latte K-cups, so I spun the little K-cup dispenser thing looking for something else with caffeine, and I spotted something that was called something like Sweet and Creamy Iced Donut Coffee. I put that over my ice instead, and it didn't kill me.

Our entire relationship is a lie

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

@CB said:
    I went into the break room yesterday to make an Iced Chai Latte at the K-machine, but they were out of Chai Latte K-cups, so I spun the little K-cup dispenser thing looking for something else with caffeine, and I spotted something that was called something like Sweet and Creamy Iced Donut Coffee. I put that over my ice instead, and it didn't kill me.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/the-abominable-k-cup-coffee-pod-environment-problem/386501/

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    The grinder was Jimmy's. He also brought his own AeroPress

So Jimmy put priority on coffee over bacon???

@Ryder said:

Not to mention K machines are dirty. There's an inaccessible reservoir of water in that machine. How do you clean that? Ew.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

If the break room had had a French Coffee Aero Hazelnut Pump Grinder, I'd have used that instead, but it didn't, so I used the K-machine.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I am not going to lie I am generally find my aeropress underwhelming. Prefer pour overs.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

Omg. I have a love for coffee so deeply, it changes any bad mood, wakes me up, made studying more enjoyable in.school.... And now, I've gotten @Thrax addicted as well. Never has there seen such a fabulous etoh free beverage.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian

For anybody else who needs to look that up: etoh free scientifically means it is socially acceptable to drink any time of the day.

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    ... socially acceptable to drink any time of the day.

Try drinking coffee right before going to bed. People will look at you funny (at least over here),

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@Jokke said:

@PirateNinja said:
    ... socially acceptable to drink any time of the day.

Try drinking coffee right before going to bed. People will look at you funny (at least over here),

I think that holds true with most people almost anywhere. My favorite Homer Simpson quote; "mmmm, cofffffeeee."

• My coffee making methods keep multiplying.... I have a Chambord Bodum for when I need to make a larger batch of coffee, and have some extra time, basically on the weekends. I just got a Hario V60 ceramic pour over dripper for my weekday morning fix. I have an Aeropress and a Porlex Mini grinder stashed at work for when I decide I can't take another cup of the sludge my coworkers brew in the horrid Bunn monstrosity (which I need to remember to clean tomorrow)...

I'm not sure what to add next to my coffee brewing collection.... Perhaps a cold brew drip tower? I've tried coffee from one of these contraptions before and I must say, it's impressive. Though buying and using one requires a level of dedication that I'm not sure I possess...

@primesuspect said:
    Flavored coffee is the wal-mart of coffee. It is the McDonald's of coffee. It is the Disney of coffee.

If you drink flavored coffee, you are a communist, AND you hate america, AND you hate baby jesus.

2004 prime was a pretty smart kid.

HeroGnomeQueenUPSLynx
  • @primesuspect said:

@primesuspect said:
    Flavored coffee is the wal-mart of coffee. It is the McDonald's of coffee. It is the Disney of coffee.

If you drink flavored coffee, you are a communist, AND you hate america, AND you hate baby jesus.

All that drinking sure has taken it's toll since then...

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@ardichoke said:

@primesuspect said:

@primesuspect said:

alcohol, not flavored coffee, right?

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Coffee flavored alcohol.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

@ardichoke said:

I'm not sure what to add next to my coffee brewing collection....

Moka pot. Get a Bialetti. It's so good.

• @XGPHero said:

@ardichoke said:

@primesuspect said:

@primesuspect said:

alcohol, not flavored coffee, right?

Precisely.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

@MAGIC said:
    Coffee flavored alcohol.

Indeed.

MAGICRyder

For some reason, the tilted table and the angle of the beer is weirding me out.

UPSLynxGHoosdum
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Coffee beer is ABOMINATION

BuddyJRyderHero
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

I would argue that n-stout is a winning combination for the set of n including but not limited to {milk, cream, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oatmeal, breakfast cereal}.

RyderAlexDeGruvenMiracleManSBobbyDigi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Founders' Breakfast Stout. Done.

MiracleManS
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

No.

AlexDeGruvenUPSLynx
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    I would argue that n-stout is a winning combination for the set of n including but not limited to {milk, cream, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oatmeal, breakfast cereal}.

Since coffee is good and beer is good and anything goes with the RIGHT beer (as with the right food/wine pairing), @drasnor's formula is certainly right. However, the search may take a while. There are so many more possible bad and mediocre combinations than good ones. I haven't tried any coffee flavored beer, yet, but it would probably have to be a stout or porter. Other experiences with flavored beers, e.g. Young's Double Chocolate Stout, haven't worked for me. So, it's black coffee in the morning, occasionally coffee with half & half after a good evening meal, and, rarely, coffee with whiskey and/or Irish cream. Booze in coffee is usually about the booze.

• Woah woah woah.... lets keep the beer to the beer thread. This is about coffee.

Anyone have experience using a Filtron or similar cold brew system? Thoughts? I'm starting to think I have enough hot brew methods at the moment, and maybe something for the summer months (few as there are in Michigan) is warranted now.... but that maybe the cold drip system is a bit overkill.

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian

So, what is the flavor difference with a cold brew system. I've never tried a coffee from one. I understand they take a lot longer to brew, so what benefit is gained by that? I'm assuming smoother?

I do have a slight coffee addiction. Usually medium to dark roast, served black.

• Heat alters the flavor of coffee, most notably increasing the acidity and bitterness of coffee especially if water that is TOO hot is used. Cold brew coffee produces a more mellow flavored coffee. Less bitter and less acidic. It's not a drastic difference, it still tastes like coffee, but there are subtle differences in flavor profile. I really like it, especially on a hot summer day.

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian
    edited January 2016

Well, I suppose I should get a system. I did end up throwing away one of my junk coffee makers during my last move. Perhaps I replace it with a cold brew setup.

I love my vacuum siphon simply for the look. That cold drip could really up my game.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I love the coffee out of the siphon as well. But the visual appeal and novelty please me greatly.