The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

All fixed.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

i have a php bar at the bottom. new feature? it looks like debug tools to me

@XGPHero said:
    i have a php bar at the bottom. new feature? it looks like debug tools to me

Yeah I was doing a thing earlier and forgot, my bad.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

There was a minor lag in the badge requests and there was a window during the migration that if you requested a badge, that message is lost. If you requested a badge in the last two days and didn't get it, please request again.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Going back to the thread list now (correctly ;)) marks threads read without you needing to refresh the page. Yay!

Linc
    edited January 2016

@Snarkasm said:
    Going back to the thread list now (correctly ;)) marks threads read without you needing to refresh the page. Yay!

My coworker Ryan patched that just a couple days ago with a rather cleverly simple fix.

Tell him I love him long time.

Hero

I finally fixed the points that some folks lost a year ago when I fixed the scores for everyone else. Primarily effected folks who joined during 2014.

primesuspectHero

Mobile reaction icons: finally correct.

HeroshwaipRyder
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@Linc said:
    Mobile reaction icons: finally correct.

Awesomesauce.

AlexDeGruven

@shwaip said:
    Awesomesauce.

icwudt.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2016
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Cleared browser history and refreshed, no change.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    Cleared browser history and refreshed, no change.

Seeing that here also.

@Ryder Yeah, I'll fix it today. I suspected that might happen for forgot. Switched how the logo is generated so @Ivan can swap it out himself.

So uh, that file shows up to me as 14MB, so I removed the embedding. Is there a way to make vanilla reasonably re-size uploaded images?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@shwaip said:
    So uh, that file shows up to me as 14MB, so I removed the embedding. Is there a way to make vanilla reasonably re-size uploaded images?

@ivan says you should get a real data plan ;)

@mertesn said:

@shwaip said:

@ivan says you should get a real data plan ;)

I'd rather it not take 5 seconds to load an image on my home internet.

mertesn

Logo is fixed.

edited January 2016

@shwaip Interesting, deep problem.

• It does save a separate tiny thumbnail version by default, which you now see above since removing the embed. (https://icrontic.com/uploads/editor/thumb/0c/be2g8gnivrwc.png)
    • It's a reasonable use case that someone just wants to attach a high-res photo without embedding, which would be fine.
    • We assume you want to embed when adding a photo, because a lot of folks wouldn't be able to figure it out otherwise.
    • If we do embed, AND it's a high-res, THEN we need to, what? Degrade the image every time? Prompt them with the option to not-embed instead? Save a third, compromise version of the image? Or disable auto-embedding and let folks flounder with it? It all feels very messy and kludgy, and adds steps to the process.

I feel like the solution is some sort of lazy-load Javascript library. This is most especially an issue in image-heavy discussions, where they don't need to each be 14MB, it's just the cumulative effect of every post containing images that bogs the page down. The thing is: most of those Javascript libraries have always sucked, so I'm reticent to start adding stuff like that.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Every time Ivan uses /me it seems to break the post formatting. Example.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi

sees if regular user posts do it

? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

sees if regular user posts do it

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi

is opening a ticket

? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

is opening a ticket

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Linc FWIW, we implemented an auto-image resizer for fool.com because editors were uploading 11-15MB pictures that were getting served for thumbnail ish sized thing being resized in CSS. There's a workflow thing in there somewhere, but it was the easiest solution to keep everyone going quickly.

edited January 2016

I've fixed /me formatting on desktop and have filed a bug against the mobile theme for getting it fixed there; it's a bit out of scope for what I can do in our custom code easily.

BobbyDigi

@Linc said:
    @shwaip Interesting, deep problem.

• It does save a separate tiny thumbnail version by default, which you now see above since removing the embed. (https://icrontic.com/uploads/editor/thumb/0c/be2g8gnivrwc.png)
    • It's a reasonable use case that someone just wants to attach a high-res photo without embedding, which would be fine.
    • We assume you want to embed when adding a photo, because a lot of folks wouldn't be able to figure it out otherwise.
    • If we do embed, AND it's a high-res, THEN we need to, what? Degrade the image every time? Prompt them with the option to not-embed instead? Save a third, compromise version of the image? Or disable auto-embedding and let folks flounder with it? It all feels very messy and kludgy, and adds steps to the process.

My initial instinct would be to auto-downsize the image to a maximum of 1024x1024 (or whatever looks good) and embed it by default, making it a link to whatever size it started as. That way people who cared in particular could re-embed as megahuge.

I mean it's really not a huge issue, but it seemed a bit weird to have a mobile phone screenshot.png be 14 MB.

CB
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2016

My instinct would be to save the original and thumbnail always, as it does now, but decide on a reasonable upper bounds for the embed size. If the original is above this upper bounds, then generate a -embed version and use that for the auto embed (with a link to the original full size image). Depending on the code and capabilities of PHP, you could even make it so that there is always a filename-embed.ext created, but it is a symlink to the full image in cases where it falls under that threshold.

But I like complications and if-then statements.

The /me action is fixed for mobile now, thanks to a coworker's Monday morning fix. :)

Ryder

Is there any way to turn off email notifications for threads you start, but only for a specific thread?