If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pc problems

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

so my pc isn't booting. like it's starting, then immediately goes to "windows didn't start properly last time blablabla" and no matter if i choose to "start windows normaly" or "start windows repair wtv", it blinks and goes back to that screen. it was working fine 3 days ago and nothing was changed on it, hardware or software.
any tips before i throw it out the 3rd floor window?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Check HD for errors

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Your computer has the infamous Windows infinite boot loop failure. This kind of failure can be caused by pretty much any kind of hardware failure as well as filesystem corruption. I'd recommend pulling the hard drive out, plugging it into another PC, and backing up all your data before proceeding. Once that's done, put the drive back into your PC and try booting up from a Windows install media. If that works then it's possible that your hardware is OK and that you just have a filesystem issue. Run the Automated Startup Repair utility on the Windows boot media and see if it's able to fix your problem. Let us know how it goes.

oni_dels
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2016

@primesuspect said:
    Check HD for errors

Agree. Download UBCD on another PC and make either a CD or USB from it (I like USB). You can use BIOS to look for details about what HDD you have (or open the case) and run the appropriate test from Diagnosis > HDDs. If it fails, time to replace the HDD (or warranty, etc) and you might be able to get stuff off still though (e.g. plugging it into another computer or using a USB-to-SATA kit if you only have access to a laptop).

oni_dels
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

Funny aside, this problem was actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and I went straight to linux. SUPPORT GABEN'S CRUSADE

oni_delsardichoke
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:
    Funny aside, this problem was actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me, and I went straight to linux. SUPPORT GABEN'S CRUSADE

A failing harddrive?

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

Well, the symptom, anyway. Windows updated and sent itself into a boot loop, and I got the irritations.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

So i had a few HD laying around, and plugging any of them doesn't change anything: still can't boot. Sooooo HD is not the problem. Conection from the MoBo to HD then?
    I havent tried the diagnostic thingy yet but did download it

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Did you connect those different hard drives to different ports with different cables?

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:

Same here, kinda. I mean, I had all sorts of issues with Windows 10 on my laptop.... but eventually it got to the point where it was doing these kinds of things and I finally said screw it. Installed Antergos and it has been running great ever since.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@oni_dels said:
    So i had a few HD laying around, and plugging any of them doesn't change anything: still can't boot. Sooooo HD is not the problem. Conection from the MoBo to HD then?
    I havent tried the diagnostic thingy yet but did download it

1. Back up your data with your drive plugged into another PC.
    2. Run chkdisk on the drive while it's plugged into another PC until it stops reporting errors (may only take one or two tries).
    3. Plug your drive back into your computer, boot from a Windows CD or USB, and run 'Startup Recovery'.
    4. If the computer still doesn't boot after that, format hard drive and reinstall Windows. Or install Linux.