General Windows 10 Discussion

124»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@ardichoke said:

@primesuspect said:
    I recently swapped my motherboard and had to reactivate. I had to type in my windows key again. It worked flawlessly. Zero issues.

Your windows key for the previous version that you upgraded?

Yes. The same key that was on it before I changed the motherboard.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Now, I'm not sure if this matters (it might) but my original key was from Windows 7 Ultimate (not OEM). Just throwing that out there.

• @primesuspect said:
    Now, I'm not sure if this matters (it might) but my original key was from Windows 7 Ultimate (not OEM). Just throwing that out there.

Same here. The full retail version that Microsoft gave me for going to one of their SysAdmin launch seminars.

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

OEM is tied to the hardware. Retail is not...

FYI... Next week we start full baseline testing on Windows 10. While Windows 10 itself is not a big deal, all of the new features from the central management side and patching will take some serious testing. Most likely, I will bending ears to change the mindset and policies from the Seriver 2000 era.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@QCH said:
    OEM is tied to the hardware. Retail is not...

I knew that was the case with the Windows 7 license, but did not know if the Windows 10 licensing had changed it. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to screw with the licensing like that. I also wasn't sure if I just needed to put my Win 7 key in, or if I needed to do some fuckery to get a Windows 10 activation code before I blew away my install.

_k
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

RahnalH102drasnor
  • I will say I have had two occasions where a customers OEM laptop hard drive failed after doing a Windows 10 upgrade (not the upgrade's fault, just some of those cruddy Seagate slim drives). Anyway one was a Dell, the other was an Acer if I remember correctly and each time when I popped in the replacement SSD I recommended (A 275 GB MX300 is $69, great laptop replacement for someone who does not need massive storage).. Each time I loaded Windows 10 from a burned iso and each time it activated flawlessly with the existing digital license which I suppose is tied into some kind of hardware identifier online. This was a very pleasant and welcome surprise because I figured I would have to call in and explain each time, but no key to enter, no nothing, just installed it, got it online and it was activated automatically. So, +1 for Windows 10 in that regard.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Yes, the digital entitlements for Win10 are tied to the hardware signature. In the anniversary update they have started tying it to your Microsoft account (if you sign in with one), which should allow you to take a license with you when you upgrade/change computers.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Stupid Anniversary update killed Bejeweled 3. :angry: