Hack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman - I wanted to hate it, but I didn't.

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited March 2016 in Movies & TV

I'll open up the thread on this movie because I think it's safe to say nobody hates Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" more than I do.

That said, Snyder manages to take that big lemon and squeeze some fairly drinkable Minute Maid out of it. It isn't perfect, and the bar for this type of film has been raised so high I'm not surprised reviewers are smacking it around, and if anyone in the world wanted to hate it simply to maintain his cognitive dissonance it was me... I didn't hate Batman vs. Superman, In fact I had some fun watching it. Is it brilliant? Not even close... Is it at least a little fun? Yes. Does it take the nonsensical events from Man of Steel and utilize them as a springboard for a fairly compelling film story arc? I would say yes, it actually does that and sets stage for a larger DC comics film universe.

I won't go into specifics to spoil it here, but I'm saying, here is this thing I really, really want to hate, and I can't, and that upsets me... If you like comic book hero films, go see it, it isn't anywhere near as horrible as reviewers are making it seem. There are cool visuals, a central villain that makes some sense (though not consistent with the comics, I'll forgive it because the performance is still fun), Affleck might be the best Batman this side of Kevin Conroy, and while I still can't get into the new direction for Superman, I'll say that Snyder is at least smart enough to acknowledge some of the flaws from the first film and utilize this one to try and mold the world in the way for it all to come back together in a sensible way. It isn't a bad film, I mean it isn't Rami's Spider Man 2, or Nolan's Dark Knight, or even the first Avengers film, but it's a middle of the pack decent super hero film. The reviews are not being entirely fair with it.

I'll post my opinions with a spoiler laden post after it's been out a bit, but just want to go on record, I hate it when I want to hate on stuff and can't. It feels unnatural. Enjoy the comic book mayhem.

primesuspectRyanFodder

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

RahnalH102Cliff_ForsterMAGIC
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I agree with this post.

Cliff_Forster
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

That video is heartbreaking, but I really, really love that the audio used when they show the Rotten Tomatoes score is from the intro to Perfect Dark.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I agree that this was a decent super hero film. Good by Hollywood critic yardstick? Nah. Good for entertaining me for a while? Sure. I had fun. I had minimal complaints.

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

Was fun to watch, I like that they went with the dark and somewhat unstable Batman. Also, dat WW.

• I loathed Man of Steel as well. However, this movie was really enjoyable. Absolutely flawed, but that's what happens when you try to cram 3-4 movies of content into 2.5 hours. Also Wonder Woman is amazing. Go see it for her alone if you're skeptical.

RyanFodder
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2016

The one thing that I disliked the most was the fact that they put Metropolis and Gotham City literally right next to each other, just across some water. Overall though, I did enjoy the movie.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Why is that bad? Like New York and New Jersey?

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Wait all this time and I thought Gotham and Metropolis were the same goddamn city.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@Karma said:
    Wait all this time and I thought Gotham and Metropolis were the same goddamn city.

Are you being serious?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Signal said:

@Karma said:

Are you being serious?

Completely. Disclaimer: Never really cared much for Superman.

• I've read that they mention Cape May as a body of water separating them. There is a Cape May that separates DE and Jersey.

I think it's one of those things where you have to be willing to suspend your disbelief to accommodate the needs of the story.

I mean if Spider Man's web sticks to every damn thing, how can he let go of it to rope another one?

• brightbright Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:

I mean if Spider Man's web sticks to every damn thing, how can he let go of it to rope another one?

Because he's Spider-Man?

Cliff_Forster
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

I guess I thought of Gotham more as Chicago and Metropolis more like New York.

• @bright said:

@Cliff_Forster said:

Because he's Spider-Man?

Exactly

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I have issues with continuity between it and pretty much anything it is based on. I enjoyed the film, and I really like Batfleck (brutal as hell).

As a stand-alone movie (no comics, no movies) it didn't explain enough. As a movie based from comics, many character traits aren't right. As a movie sequel to Man of Steel and BaleBat, there are confusing changes that aren't touched on.