Fight me in Miis

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Miitomo has launched in the US today. This is Nintendo's first foray into a true mobile app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nintendo.zaaa

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miitomo/id1073816197?mt=8

Fight me in Miis

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

"Fight Mii"

Guppy
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

No

y

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

Fite Mii

Thrax
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Omg this game is so good.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited April 2016

Come at me scrub-miis, I'm ripped!

UPSLynx
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T HANDLE THIS STYLE

RahnalH102UPSLynx
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

I can't get over this stupid game. I love it so much.

edited April 2016

RahnalH102Ryder
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I barfed a little looking at this thread.

I'm enjoying this a lot more than I should.

UPSLynxCanti
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

I don't know how this is classified as a game.... Seems more like a thinly veiled data mining app.... still, I can't stop "playing" it.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    I don't know how this is classified as a game.... Seems more like a thinly veiled data mining app.... still, I can't stop "playing" it.

The short version is that it is a fun activity with defined rules that creates conflict of some sort and goals. In this case the goals are A: Learn about your friends and vice versa in a somewhat indirect and silly manner, and B: #HATS. The conflict is created through a money system, time, creativity, and a little luck.

The "long" version is that there are many different aspects designers consider when developing a game to appeal to players. In this case I'll be using Richard Bartle's 4 types of MUD players, which transitions somewhat well into big multiplayer games which I would consider Miitomo to be.

Bartle described his 4 types as Achievers, Explorers, Socializers, and Killers. An individual player will have mixed preferences among these 4 archtypes. Miitomo is designed to appeal predominately to the Socializers, with a nice dose of Achievement in there. In here you are "learning"* about your friends in a silly manner. You can also express yourself through simple and or silly manners with the fashion system and photo system in this game. This fashion system provides the Achievment kick by A: Adding a collection to complete. and B: Winning the special pieces through the pachinko games, with the added boost of showing off said winnings to your friends.

Through these aspects, one can argue that the game has its goals and therefore "win conditions" and offers gameplay appropriate to earn those "wins". Which makes it a game, though in a somewhat strict definition.

*Quotes cause a: you can make an answer up, and b: some questions are not realistic.

Slightly related: As I've been progressing with my classes, I've been analyzing games more and more as I learn about the design. I was considering this about Miitomo earlier today so when this question was posed I wanted to gush since it was on my mind. I've also been considering starting a thread on analyzing the design of games and discussing, but I don't know if there would be an interest in going deep into that.

Garg

You can't stop me from having fun shut up

I thought I would share my experiences with my FF14 2-week free trial I've been testing out, with a bonus @UPSLynx

The game actually is pretty fun, just avoid playing Marauder as your first class.

RahnalH102UPSLynxprimesuspectCanti

Damn @BHHammy. That's some pro miifoto.

primesuspect
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Needs competitive mini-games.

CB

@MAGIC said:
    Needs competitive mini-games.

ftfy

Guppy

It has the Mii drop game, but that's it.

@MAGIC said:
    It has the Mii drop game, but that's it.

Exactly, 1 game... needs gameS ;)

edited April 2016

Thought this was relevant.

Also..uh....I haven't done anything with it in a few days, so...

GuppyUPSLynx
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian