Kerbal Space Program

167891012»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Ryder
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I spent like 4 hours trying to get started in career mode. I've done all the science I can in the start and my only way to advance is to finally get out if low orbit. Which is what took the 4 hours, then promptly burned up on re-entry side I didn't have heat shields.

Spent the next hour rebuilding the rocket to include heat shields, then burned up again because I couldn't maneuver the capsule to put the shield down toward the heat.

Spent another hour digging around for my old joystick to "take this shit to the next level". Only to realize I suck controlling it with the joystick.

Then took all of 5 minutes to plug in my USB Xbox controller and do it flawlessly. Upper orbit, heat shield down, anddddd.... The rebuild put my parachutes on the wrong stage, so I hit the ground at 200kmph and exploded.

Took a break after that.

6 hours to gain the 5 science I didn't burn/explode.

Strikes

I'd recommend using the starter capsule as your reentry vehicle for early career due to its built-in heatshield. By itself, it has no trouble doing ordinary entries and has plenty of space on the backshell for science instruments. Try targeting a perigee of 20 km - 30 km as well; shallower entries help a lot with entry heating/loading.

primesuspect

Version 1.1 (in testing) adds a bunch of new tutorial scenarios.

StrikesAlexDeGruven

After a long hiatus, the KF-104A astronaut trainer takes to the stars again.

The 1.2 patch features reduced drag for streamlined bodies.

RyanFodderAlexDeGruven
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I got maybe 20 hours in the game, I finally did a successful orbit and re-entry. I burned up soooo many times, or slingshot myself out into empty space more times than I like to count.

@d3k0y said:
    I got maybe 20 hours in the game, I finally did a successful orbit and re-entry. I burned up soooo many times, or slingshot myself out into empty space more times than I like to count.

You might consider turning down the difficulty settings while you're learning to play. Accurate drag, aerodynamics, and entry heating were all added to the game years after I started playing; after I'd already mastered the basics.

I've attached the environment for the EPIC 2017 tutorial; simply extract it to your KSP directory and have fun!

BobbyDigiprimesuspect
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

The lights for orientation is a good idea.

Your intuitive use of the keys I am quite jealous of.

Farge
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

One of these days, Alice. To the Mun!