WiFi Access Point Recommendations

2»

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Well this thread convinced me. I just ordered the AC Pro to replace my EA2700 that crapped out. Just need to pick out a router now, can't decide if I want to spend the extra money on a PoE router or just use the inline adapter for the AC Pro.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Easy choice: will you be supporting more PoE devices in the future (e.g. IP cameras)? If you don't anticipate that, then in-line is way cheaper.

_k
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Are you talking about a router that puts out PoE? Does such a thing exist? I don't think I've ever seen one before.

If you're going to get more PoE devices in the future, I would just get a Ubiquti PoE switch. You will be able to manage it from the same interface as the WAP and they are also (supposed to be) very good devices.

As for the router question, I've become a massive fan of pfSense in the past few months. If you have some old hardware laying around, just take it and see if you can install pfSense on it. If not, build a low-end dual-NIC system and install pfSense (or just buy a pfSense system prebuilt from https://pfsense.org/products). I'd wager it will do a better job than any off the shelf router at that price.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

And to clarify, I believe @ardichoke is correct that you'd be looking for a PoE switch, not a router. While routers with POE exist, I don't think that is what you'd need to be using.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Well I have been looking at a Ubiquiti PoE router. I want a PoE router for less clutter, that way I don't have to have to have a modem, router, and a switch before the access point. Also, less devices to manage.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2016

My wife's work kept telling her that the problem with her wifi issues at home with her laptop were because of our home router. After testing and proving that it was the wifi chip in her laptop I decided to also solve the problem a more fun way.

So I picked up the LR version of the UAP-AC line, which claims to be good up to 600'. I'm going to park it in the ceiling of the basement directly under her desk. So even if the wifi chip in her laptop is crap (it totally is), it won't matter anymore.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Signal said:
    Well I have been looking at a Ubiquiti PoE router. I want a PoE router for less clutter, that way I don't have to have to have a modem, router, and a switch before the access point. Also, less devices to manage.

Ah... so a router with a built-in PoE switch then. Essentially.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Signal said:

The Edgerouter and Unifi APs use two different ways to manage them (the Edgerouter cannot be managed from the Unifi controller). You might be better off getting the Unifi security gateway and a cheap unmanaged PoE switch to keep everything that requires configuration in the Unifi family. That being said, the Unifi gateway in its current state, is much less robust than the Edgerouters.

I don't own either of those products, it's just what I have determined through reviews and reddit.

Signal
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

I am loving the AC-PRO. I can get wireless speeds that are just as fast as wired with very little latency. Also, I can be at the edge of my property and still get almost full speed internet.

Sonorousardichoke