Half-Life - Sound..

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Gaming
I bet u guys have heard of this annonying problem which happens whenever u minimize half-life to ur desktop.

Upon maximizing HL, ur in game sound is gone and the only remedy is to reconnect to the game (restart HL)

I have heard of a patch being released to remedy this, i, not too sure

Anyone found a way to stop this problem ?

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    There is no fix in the current version. I don't know if you are talking about counter-strike or not. They did have a fix with the counter-strike 1.6 beta but I don't know whatever happend to 1.6. I heard they cancelled it.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Well, they really haven't cancelled 1.6. Currently they are still working out bugs with it and trying new things. 1.6 is still curently in the beta stage and won't be released to the majority of people until they have everything worked out.
    Until they have enough content servers that can manage all the cs players out there they probably won't release 1.6final anytime soon. Yes 1.6 solves the loss of sound problem.(damn windows key)

If you want, you can head on over to www.shacknews.com and sign up to thier fileshack service (don't worry it's free). Search for steam.exe and download it. The steam file will install on your comp and then access the internet to update itself. After that it will see if you have hl.exe installed on your comp and give you the option to play cs 1.6beta. You best have a highspeed connection if you want to try it out though. Steam is meant for fast connections.

If you don't know what steam is, it is basically vavle's online service. Steam allows you to download games and updates to existing games that valve offers. I also hear that you will be able to buy HL2 via steam instead of going to a store and buying it.

Just to let you know if you have 1.5 installed and use steam to play the 1.6 beta your 1.5 will not be overwritten. Steam will save the 1.6 beta in a folder in the steam main folder.

Edit://
    Fileshack is here:
    http://www.fileshack.com/
    edited June 2003
    I utterly hate steam. It is such a slow, buggy, crappy interface. If they had fixed all the bugs in steam I might like it more, but for now I hate it.
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited June 2003
    ^^ that's what I've heard about steam, I've never bothered trying it since CS 1.5 works fine for me.

As for the sound issue, opening the task manager and switching back to HL in there works for me, I get back to the game and still have sound (win2k or XP, but it doesn't seem to work with everyone's computer)
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Here's a quick fix. Instead of going into netgames to connect to a server simply hit the console button at the first screen and type connect <server ip>. If you ever get kicked out for any reason simply go back in and hit resume game. Sound comes back unlike when you connect through netgames. CS 1.6 is still in beta. Meaning it hasn't been officially released and it's simply for beta testers. No cancellation whatsoever.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    DoM-aL said
    If you ever get kicked out for any reason simply go back in and hit resume game. Sound comes back unlike when you connect through netgames.

kicked out as in by the windows key?

isnt typing the server IP again and again a hassle ? :banghead:
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    You can always write an alias in autoexec.cfg that will connect you to servers that you frequent.

alias "aliasname" "commands; separated; by; semi-colons"

Also try the "stopsound" console command or hit escape and then go to "Resume Game" after restoring Half-Life.

If you need to leave Half-Life for whatever reason and it is a planned leave of absence (e.g. not the Windows Key or anything like that), hit the escape key beforehand so that you're at the menu, then Alt+Tab out of HL. When you reopen Half-Life, hit "Resume Game".
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited June 2003
    Riddick said
    DoM-aL said
    If you ever get kicked out for any reason simply go back in and hit resume game. Sound comes back unlike when you connect through netgames.

kicked out as in by the windows key?

isnt typing the server IP again and again a hassle ? :banghead:

Yes kicked out as in windows key. You only have to type the ip once after that just press up arrow enter. That simple.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    The retry command is also helpful if you happen to use console commands to do things other than connect to a server and you don't feel like cycling through a bunch of entries in the command history.
    edited June 2003
    Khaos said
    Also try the "stopsound" console command or hit escape and then go to "Resume Game" after restoring Half-Life.

the stopsound dont work.....

anyway thanks for all the help,

just wondering whether theres a way to disable the windoes key :confused:
    edited June 2003
    For some reason the bottom of the forums are not showing up so I had to click quote on someone elses thread.

Anywho, when I needed to minimize the game, I would hit esc to bring me to the menu (but not disconnect), minimize, then when I was done, bring the screen backup and hit resume game. The sound won't disapear if you do that.
    edited June 2003
    Test Test Testing for forum bug.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Bug resolved :)
    edited June 2003
    Er, how would u exactly minimize,

whenever i use ALT TAB my resolution gets FUBARed and i have to restart windows.... maybe winME just sux
    edited June 2003
    Oh I always just alt + tab. It takes a minute for it to go back in sync with the desktop resolution. If that doesn't work for you the only real thing I could think of is try playing the game and having the desktop in the same resolution. IE The game is 800 x 600 and your desktop is 800 x 600.