Done with cars

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited May 2016 in Home & Auto

I got rid of my last car. Now I am back to driving trucks again. Last week I got a new 2016 Ford F150 in Ruby Red with the Sport Package and a new 2.7L Ecoboost. I originally was planning on going with the 5.0 V8 but after a test drive in one equipped with the new Ecoboost I was sold. It us very noticeably quicker than the 5.0 at almost 1/2 the displacement. I have now ordered aftermarket Running Boards, exhaust, wheels and tires.

Cliff_ForsterprimesuspectWinfreyGHoosdumketoGarg

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Ok, I fixed it. My files are all too large.

• Officially jealous. I'm a truck guy but my 2007 Nissan Frontier is boring. That new truck smell, enjoy it!

What's the ride like in that big truck? That's can sometimes be the trade off, does it ride more SUV / Crossover like or does it feel like a truck?

@Cliff_Forster It rides pretty stiff. Last year Ford started with the aluminum sheet metal and dropped 700 pounds in the process. I don't think that they lightened the suspension and it is really stiffer than Adrienne's 2014.

• In certain situations that is what you need. I kinda fit into a weird segment where I want a commuter ride but the utility of having a bed in the back. I might bounce around a bit to ride that though. Gorgeous truck man. Enjoy.

I like the console with shifter and bucket seats as opposed to the typical bench seat.

Garg
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

The company F150 is a 2014 that I've been fairly impressed with. That thing looks gorgeous! Been impressed with the ecoboost they put in the company 2015 Transit Connect, I just wonder what the longevity will be (honest curiosity, not doubt).

On a side note, utterly not related to trucks, I've been loving my old Honda and never considered a new or domestic car... till they mentioned the 2016 Focus RS.

@NullenVoyd said:
    On a side note, utterly not related to trucks, I've been loving my old Honda and never considered a new or domestic car... till they mentioned the 2016 Focus RS.

The Focus RS is one bad ass ride.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Mt_Goat, I respect your choices and life decisions as a fellow Texan, however as a driver of small cars that's been run off the road a few times I humbly request that you add wide-angle spots to your side-view mirrors. Not that you would ever fail to check your blind spots or signal before changing lanes; just to make checking them easier.

@drasnor said:
    @Mt_Goat, I respect your choices and life decisions as a fellow Texan, however as a driver of small cars that's been run off the road a few times I humbly request that you add wide-angle spots to your side-view mirrors. Not that you would ever fail to check your blind spots or signal before changing lanes; just to make checking them easier.

You will be comforted to know that my new ride is equipped with blind spot warning, total vehicle surround sensing and cross traffic warning technologies. That combined with my better than Bubba Redneck driving skills I hope will keep us as well as others safe. ;) The only ones who have to worry are those who piss me off. Then what ever supreme being they cotton to will not be able to help them.

drasnorTushonGarg_k
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited May 2016

That's one beautiful looking truck, and the color is fantastic!

I have had trucks as rentals - most notably a Silverado from the insurance for some weeks back when some moron decided to plow into the side of my Taurus. I loved driving them, but my dogs have always hated having to climb up into them. You shouldn't think this would worry a Border Collie cross, but my dog back then considered this a serious imposition, plus there is no space on the backseat! Now I have another Border Collie cross who is only 6, but had serious arthritis already when we got him from the shelter at age 2! His favorite car was my Dodge Grand Caravan in Ohio. With the electric sliding doors open and the seats down, he could walk right into the van! Unfortunately vans with the Stow 'n Go seating are not available in New Zealand, where I live now. My arthritic doggie friend now has to climb into the back of my Volvo V70. I made a ramp from a piece of MDF floor board that I can pull out to make it easier for him, Most importantly, once he is in he has the space to stretch out on a fluffy blanket!

90% of the time I am in the car I have my dogs with me. The V70 is a great ride to take them to the beach, plus it has that Gus Fring feel to it :D

pigflipperGarg
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

@Mt_Goat That is a sweet ride, been looking at pretty much the same model and the Toyota Tacoma because I know my 2000 Exploder with 170k miles is going to fail on me at some point in the near future. I am leaning towards the Ford, because, well, loyalty? We had only ever had Ford trucks and SUVs in my family until my dad got a great deal on a full size Tundra; but that is waaaaay too much truck for what I need to do. I need something that can pull 3000 lb trailer/boat but still gets decent MPG in town with a light load and that Ford with EcoBoost is looking might fine for that use.

I kind of want the V8 though, since that engine is basically unchanged over decades and I can almost replace/repair parts blindfolded thanks to years of money saving work we did on a 1970 Ranger (The size of an F150 now) that took two 7mm MAG rounds through the floorboard into the tranny and master cylinder (this is why you don't have a 2 lb trigger on a gun that is barrel down in the floorboard...and why you don't travel with a round in the spout)

primesuspect
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2016

@pigflipper said:
    I kind of want the V8 though, since that engine is basically unchanged over decades and I can almost replace/repair parts blindfolded thanks to years of money saving work we did on a 1970 Ranger (The size of an F150 now) that took two 7mm MAG rounds through the floorboard into the tranny and master cylinder (this is why you don't have a 2 lb trigger on a gun that is barrel down in the floorboard...and why you don't travel with a round in the spout)

The 5.0 in the current gen F-150 is the 2011+ Coyote variant of the modular engine introduced in the late '90s. While it has a lot of commonality with the 4.6L and thus still does have almost two decades of history, it doesn't trace its heritage back to the Windsor 302/5.0 of yore.

RyderMt_GoatGarg

@pigflipper I soooo much wanted the V8. But the 2.7 Ecoboost is the quickest 0 to 60, best payload/towing and best mpg 1/2 ton pickup you can get. Check out some of the YouTube vids on it. When I test drove the 2.7 the salesman snapped my picture on takeoff. He then showed it to me and said he thought I liked it. But I am so impressed that I am not looking back. I had big plans on spending a good sum of money at Summit, Jegs, etc. Now a tune, exhaust, wheels/tires and some cosmo candy.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2016

@Mt_Goat Might I suggest Unleashed Tuning in Florida. The dude's name is Torrie and he has some stunning results with Ecoboost motors. Lots of YT videos and forums that sing the praises of his tunes and customer service.

Mt_GoatGarg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I expected a picture of @Mt_Goat on a bike, boat, or derigible, but turbo trucks are pretty sweet, too :D

BuddyJMt_Goat
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@Mt_Goat said:

... my better than Bubba Redneck driving skills ... ;) The only ones who have to worry are those who piss me off.

Wait! Isn't that like every Bubba Redneck? :biggrin:

Nice truck. I love that red. My wife and I both had Ford Explorers (11 and 15 years). Ford makes good stuff.

edited May 2016

@BlueTattoo said:

@Mt_Goat said:

... my better than Bubba Redneck driving skills ... ;) The only ones who have to worry are those who piss me off.

Wait! Isn't that like every Bubba Redneck? :biggrin:

Nice truck. I love that red. My wife and I both had Ford Explorers (11 and 15 years). Ford makes good stuff.

Past trucks were more Bubba than the current ride. I have always been a Ford fan when it comes to trucks.

@Cliff_Forster Now at 1,100 miles the stiffness has lightened up a little. It's not as bad as a4x4, more like a giant Mustang with race suspension. :biggrin:

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Featured on the Unleashed FB page today an Ecoboost F-150: https://www.facebook.com/UnleashedTuning/

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

@fmueller said:
    That's one beautiful looking truck, and the color is fantastic!

I have had trucks as rentals - most notably a Silverado from the insurance for some weeks back when some moron decided to plow into the side of my Taurus. I loved driving them, but my dogs have always hated having to climb up into them. You shouldn't think this would worry a Border Collie cross, but my dog back then considered this a serious imposition, plus there is no space on the backseat! Now I have another Border Collie cross who is only 6, but had serious arthritis already when we got him from the shelter at age 2! His favorite car was my Dodge Grand Caravan in Ohio. With the electric sliding doors open and the seats down, he could walk right into the van! Unfortunately vans with the Stow 'n Go seating are not available in New Zealand, where I live now. My arthritic doggie friend now has to climb into the back of my Volvo V70. I made a ramp from a piece of MDF floor board that I can pull out to make it easier for him, Most importantly, once he is in he has the space to stretch out on a fluffy blanket!

90% of the time I am in the car I have my dogs with me. The V70 is a great ride to take them to the beach, plus it has that Gus Fring feel to it :D

Gotta love the long roof society content. I've got an E39 wagon that I absolutely adore.

GHoosdum
    edited June 2016

@Ryder said:
    @Mt_Goat Might I suggest Unleashed Tuning in Florida. The dude's name is Torrie and he has some stunning results with Ecoboost motors. Lots of YT videos and forums that sing the praises of his tunes and customer service.

I am very seriously going with unleashed. But I am going to get everything else done first. I got the tires, Hankook Dynapro HP2 in 285/60/R18, wheels, US Mags Slotted chrome, Borla exhaust, and Ionic Gladiator Brite finish running boards. I am also going to paint the brake calipers bright red. I have to wait on the wheels as they won't be ready till late September (custom @ $4,460 for 4). I am going to wait for the wheels to change everything out. Then around Thanksgiving do the tune.

UPDATE

After all that last year i was informed that the wheels were not going to be available. So after looking at many others i discovered that getting wheels I liked was all but impossible. I never thought it was going to be so difficult to find old school wheels in 18 or 20 inch diameter with a 6x135 bolt pattern and an offset that kept the tires within the wheelwells. Most wheels in the configuration i needed were ugly by my definition and oriented more to offroad than street truck/hotrod. The only options were total custom wheels that start at just uder $1,000 each. So I ended up putting the 285's on the stock rims, sold the running boards, got a tuner as well as a tune from Unleashed as per @Ryder 's recomendation, and the Borla exhaust. I finally tired of trying to get any acceptable wheels and found the stock ones hideous and traded it for one i liked as is and will just get exhaust and a tune and be happy. New truck pics to follow shortly.

edited September 2017

The new truck is a 2017 F150 XLT with the same Luxury and power options as the last truck. It has a 3.5 Ecoboost (2nd gen 375 hp 470 lb-ft torque dual injection), 10 speed trans, 3.55 electronic locking differential, RWD, 12,600 lb tow package, nav, sync 3 and sync connect plus more. I likethe wheels that came on this one and plan to just do exhaust and a tune.

primesuspect