Can't connect to some services on my PC from outside the network

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

I'm going back home to PR soon and I need everything to be working before I'm gone so I can remotely manage my PC.

The problem is that I can remotely connect to some services, but not others. For example, Plex, Emby and TeamViewer work. I guess programs that do their own thing with ports have no problems. Programs where I have to manually specify ports and do the forwarding don't work, like NZBGet, Sonarr and Couchpotato. Ports are forwarded correctly in the router and I don't think there's anything incorrect in Windows 10's firewall. Just a few minutes ago Plex wasn't working until I disabled manually specifying the port used and it miraculously worked. I'm honestly out of ideas.

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

In the firewall, did you add inbound and outbound rules, or did you just add a basic exception for something like couchpotato?

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

@Sonorous said:
    In the firewall, did you add inbound and outbound rules, or did you just add a basic exception for something like couchpotato?

I think the only thing I did was click on that firewall popup when you first launch an app. All the apps are set to allow in the Windows firewall.

On the left side of the windows firewall window is an advanced settings link, go in that and add an inbound and outbound port rule for those programs and see if that fixes it.

The other thing to try is to set that PC in your router's DMZ if you have that feature available. That might give you a clue if it's a router or Windows problem.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

@Sonorous said:
    The other thing to try is to set that PC in your router's DMZ if you have that feature available. That might give you a clue if it's a router or Windows problem.

That seems to have fixed it but I know DMZ is not the solution. Any ideas what options to look at in my router. It's a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900.

I'm looking at the manual and on page 175 are instructions for advanced port forwarding. You might want to try that instead if you did the basic setup.

I'm looking at the Netgear forums and it seems the firmware I'm using has been pulled due to having a ton a problems, one of them being port forwarding stops working. I have to downgrade and reset the router. That's going to be a PITA. There's a beta firmware around but their forums are a mess to navigate.

Sonorous

@BlackHawk said:
    I'm looking at the Netgear forums and it seems the firmware I'm using has been pulled due to having a ton a problems, one of them being port forwarding stops working. I have to downgrade and reset the router. That's going to be a PITA. There's a beta firmware around but their forums are a mess to navigate.

Well, at least you know what is wrong now. Good luck, brother!