Help Kelso find a good gaming laptop

DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole'San Jose, CA Icrontian

Looking for recommendations of a good gaming laptop to get that'd be under $2k.

Taking all recommendations and suggestions here.

Thanks!

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Asus ROG.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    Asus ROG.

There are so many o_O

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    Asus ROG.

No.

primesuspectUPSLynx

Sager makes some great gaming laptops. Got mine from xoticpc.com a couple years ago.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

The Razer blade is fantastic. My MSI GS60 Ghost has been both a creative powerhouse and a pretty solid portable gaming rig on the go for a thin 15.6" laptop. I have seen the Lenovo gaming laptops a few places and feel they are a bit lack luster. Sager has always been a solid choice for great laptops. I even picked up a few Sagers for work to use for video and heavy PowerPoint playback. They are lower end models with basically the same guts as my Ghost, but they are in pretty flimsy plastic chassis that leave a lot of desire in the build quality category.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Lots of new GPUs coming into the market. Probably worth waiting. These ones are a BIG jump in performance for notebooks.

GHoosdum
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Lots of new GPUs coming into the market. Probably worth waiting. These ones are a BIG jump in performance for notebooks.

I can only hope that you are implying AMD's triumphant return to the mobile GPU market in something other than a damned iMac.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2016

@Thrax has a good point, if you can wait awhile longer Computex is showing off some product with huge efficiency gains. Not just in framerate but in battery life and heat dispersion.

That said, if I were going to buy today, I'm really fond of what Lenovo has done with the Y700 and they are currently marking those down as well. From a build perspective the recent Y700 has a really nice metal finish with a rubberized wrist rest and the best damn keyboard of any laptop manufacturer. They use a really nice IPS panel with a wide viewing angle in case you are going to have a buddy look over your shoulder now and then, and they actually build a pretty decent JBL 2.1 system for sound when you don't feel like plugging in headphones.

They have a pretty wide line from 14" to 17" some touch screens, mostly non. For well under 2K you can get one with an i7 skylake, an Nvidia 960 M with 4GB of dedicated VRAM, 16 GB of DDR4 and a 1 TB SSD on board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13V68807&cm_re=Lenovo_Y700--9SIA8S13V68807--Product

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Thrax said:

When do you think we'll start seeing them end up in notebooks?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Eh, latest end of summer.

Now bootcamping my MBP to see if it'll run overwatch so I can "wait" until the new gpus hit laptops

That was a no go... laptop isn't partioning and I don't feel like trying to back everything up on this and trying again

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    Now bootcamping my MBP to see if it'll run overwatch so I can "wait" until the new gpus hit laptops

Which model is it?

edited June 2016

@mertesn said:
    Which model is it?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
    2.4 ghz i5
    8gb DDR3
    Intel Iris 1536

Further advice on laptops, most of which you likely already know:

• My reasons against Asus ROG are well documented. As a followup, that replacement laptop shit itself a year later. I am fully finished with anything Asus.
    • I've recently dealt with Sager and XoticPC's repair service and have no complaints (with the exception of my spam filter but that isn't their fault)
    • Assuming the laptop's RAM isn't soldiered onto the board (which is a massive red flag in my world), purchase the lowest amount available and upgrade it yourself. 99% of the time you'll save money on it. Same goes for storage, especially where SSDs are concerned.

@mertesn I order a Sager from XoticPC http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8678-clevo-p670rg-p-8651.html

Lowest ram, no HDD, no SSD, no OS. Figured I could buy an SSD for cheaper and install it, plus I've got win10 thanks to a friend.

mertesnMAGIC
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited June 2016

Don't give @DontCallMeKelso advice. He's a shit and said he's just gonna return it after Expo. This guy.

LevexUPSLynx