Need help locating a reliable Smoothwall guide

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I don't know if I'm being obtuse or idiotic here but I'm looking for a simple guide on how to make a BOOTABLE USB install of Smoothwall 3.1

This should not be a challenge; I've done it many times in the past and have always found a way to make a bootable usb install for various utilities, but this one is stumping me. Perhaps it's because I have Windows 10 now, but I have not been able to get this to work.

The Smoothwall does not have an optical drive, so don't suggest that. I also don't have easy access to a burner nor do I have blank disks. This is 2016.

I tried upgrading the smoothwall from 3.0 to 3.1 internally through a net install but it has failed. If someone thinks they could, with shell access, upgrade it internally, I'm willing to log you into it to do that.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I'm going against your suggestion and my better judgment. You should go to Best Buy and pickup a $50 USB DVD-RW. Really handy to have on hand for things like this.

primesuspect_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

http://community.smoothwall.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=42302

You can't upgrade according to that. I don't really know anything about smoothwall otherwise.

• I actually have extra SATA and External USB burners laying about and some disks, tell me if an internal or external is better and send me your address, I'll mail to you.

Converting the files to bootable iso isn't impossible, but it may as well be. Burner will make it easier.

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Hey Cliff that would be awesome. External would probably be better I think. I really appreciate it!

ICHQ Detroit
    4304 Avery St
    Detroit, MI 48208

• Turns out the USB drives I have are readers, what file do you need burned from the Smoothwall site? I'll burn for you and put it on top of a few extras, I'll send you both an internal SATA burner and one of the external readers I have.

Awesome! I need the x86_64 build of Smoothwall Express 3.1 bootable:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/smoothwall/files/SmoothWall/3.1/Express-3.1-x86_64.iso/download

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

https://unetbootin.github.io/

Convert any bootable ISO to a bootable USB drive.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Nope.. doesn't work on this ISO. Tried it this morning as well as universal USB installer.
    Also found several examples of people failing on Unetbootin :(

Yep, I've tried that as well.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

They did say on their site that you can build a USB from the ISO, so it is possible you can extract that stuff yourself and use something like Rufus or another drive prep tool to make it.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I tried 3 builds this morning after burning the ISO to a CD. I used PowerISO and UltraISO to extract the boot image and added the files, etc etc and so far I haven't gotten the USB drive to boot :(

They did something weird in the ISO or with the Linux build that it is based off.

primesuspect
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

Rufus has saved my team a crapload of headaches. https://rufus.akeo.ie/

• I'll get the goods in the mail tomorrow, burned a copy on CD and DVD for measure and have a few extras in the box in case you need to re do it for some odd reason. The external drive is just a simple reader, dual USB to handle power so it doesn't need a separate power supply. The internal is a generic burner, I'll pop one of about 55 SATA cables I have laying around in there too. I'm actually pleased that some of this salvage hardware is going to use, I have trouble throwing stuff like this out.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

As much as I hate to admit it, because I like to slag on BSD.... pfSense > any other router distro I've looked into/tried.

Hey @Cliff_Forster, thank you so much. I got your stuff in the mail and got Smoothwall updated to 3.1 with all the latest security patches.

I named our new box "baltimore" in your honor :)

BlackHawkRyderSonorousSnarkasmCliff_Forster
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

He should have sent you some zip ties. :tongue:

primesuspectCliff_ForsterBlueTattoo
  • Pleased to be of service. Baltimore! Now that's smooth.