Update for 8+ core CPU folders

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited July 2016 in Folding@Home

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28866

TL;DR: something is wrong with the assignment servers for those with >6 CPU boxes. If you have an 8 or more core box, please change the slot setting to 6 CPUs until resolved or your CPU clients will not get any units assigned.

In other news, I'm back online with one rig. The other would be highly affected by this problem so will likely go to parts. I'll scrounge up a new GPU out of that :)

HOWTO:
Right-click on the folding icon -> advanced control
Configure -> Slots -> select CPU and click edit
Change the number under CPUs from -1 (most likely) to 6

GargSonorous

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Is this only pertaining to physical cores or are HT cores affected as well?

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

BOOM... That's why my work PC stopped. I set it to 6 and now it is downloading and folding.

Sonorous
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Does anyone know how to do this with a command line parameter or with the config.xml? I havne't figured out how to change CPU count on a headless box.

@Sonorous said:
    Is this only pertaining to physical cores or are HT cores affected as well?

Most likely includes HT cores; I don't think Folding treats them any differently.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Same on my 3700k.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Does anyone know how to do this with a command line parameter or with the config.xml? I havne't figured out how to change CPU count on a headless box.

You need to run the --configure flag. HT and real cores are treated the same.

The issue with 8-core machines was a fun one to trouble shoot without looking at their forums.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:

Confirming what @_k said, stop the exisiting process, run it with --configure alone, change the relevant setting, start the daemon again.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2016

Is this issue resolved? The foldingforum link looks dead and I am to lazy to try or look for an answer.

Looks like this is resolved. I have one slot up and running, cpu:8, and I will update this post some time tomorrow I guess.

UPDATE: Ran through 2 WUs and a 3rd is starting so this issue was resolved some time ago.