So, I want to build a computer

2»

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:
    #binning

(probably, anyway)

Yep. Color me unsurprised when these people also end up hitting really weird/undiagnosable performance issues.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    @RyanMM Even with host mode support added Windows 8.1 and up, it's not going to dynamically improve fetching random pictures and videos from the users folder in any significant way.

And I never suggested they would. However, files like the iTunes library, iPhoto library, Media Center library, and other index-based files that do get stored in media folders would benefit from caching. The price premium for a 2TB SSHD over a regular 2TB drive is fairly small and is a cost-benefit I consider worth it. YMMV.

It goes without saying that YMMV for just about all of these recommendations, which are going to really be tied in to what the user's needs and preferences are.

Me, I'd rather have the dead fastest SSD on the planet right now, even if I'd be somewhat size-limited, and keep a spinner around for the huge media library I have that simply doesn't need SSD speeds. Some users will be perfectly happy losing 50% read/write performance but getting SSD speed over 2TB of data, they'd be a good fit for your RAID suggestion. Some users would make that tradeoff but 2TB simply isn't enough room for all their data and they will have to make a compromise that involves one SSD and one regular drive.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Guys.

I'm about to move your shit into your own nerd fight thread....

SonorousDontCallMeKelso
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Samsung 850 pro 512GB and a 2TB WD black is really all that's needed. M.2 is cool but the cost is high. Just get get the 850 and go to a nice dinner with the cash you saved.

fatcat
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2016

Change out the Corsair 350D for the Corsair Air 240 (pcpartpicker doesn't have it in it's database, but it's the same price). I decided to drop the M.2 and support my buddy @Ryder with the SSD. The heatsink is just a personal thing, I'm a Noctua fanboy. And I'd wait for the EVGA GTX 1070 to be $419. But, there you go, $1600 PC

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $238.99 @ SuperBiiz
    CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $72.29 @ Amazon
    Motherboard ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $169.99 @ Newegg
    Storage OCZ TRION 150 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $215.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $205.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card $419.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Case Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Newegg
    Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Newegg
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $1622.21
    Mail-in rebates -$20.00
    Total $1602.21
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-05 14:41 EDT-0400
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Sonorous said:
    Samsung 850 pro 512GB and a 2TB WD black is really all that's needed. M.2 is cool but the cost is high. Just get get the 850 and go to a nice dinner with the cash you saved.

BLASPHEMOUS. I love M.2. Granted my build is super small so I benefited from form factor but still. It's awesome.

RyanMM
  • I'm not nerd fighting, I'm simply offering the best advice. :p

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    lol you guys. THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS ON HELP ME BUILD THREADS. Nerd fight!

I actually thought everyone was rather civil on my build thread.

That said there weren't any new GPUs to argue about at the time.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Massalinie
  • MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2016

I also have a new PC in the works. Got a 960gb SanDisk SSD in the prime day deals (it was Canada only soz, I'm realizing now I should've mentioned it on Icrontic in that daily deals thread oops). I am super stoked about it for my desktop, the laptop is fantastic to use since I made the switch.
    This thread is full of handy suggestions and ideas, so thanks guys :-D far from my first build but the advice is always useful, one loses touch with what's new and awesome.
    My pc right now is insanely loud and I'm hoping to get it to be as quiet as possible. It literally bothers other people in my house right now if my door is open while it's running. Thinking about a new case, current one has only a front and back fan but is it not too big.

primesuspect
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

The case I got is the Corsair Carbide 220 R. It's fairly roomy, lots of ventilation and comes with a front and back fan with the ability to put two extra fans on the top of the case if you need it.

Completely silent, solid metal construction and it was only about $75 CDN. Unless you're looking for something with more fans from the get go or larger/flashier than the 220 I'd put it up for recommendation.

Massalinie