Method to set up SSD as cache for game HDD?

So I'm trying to optimize my storage options a bit. I have a 500 GB SSD for my boot / primary programs drive. Pleased with that, for awhile now I use a slightly older 256 GB drive to hold whatever I'm playing, then I have a pair of mechanical HDD to do some combination of backups and storage. I'm thinking I'd like to limit my storage a little less but still get good game boot times. I know some people set up smaller SSD's as cache drives to speed up slower mechanical drives as a sort of hybrid compromise, but I have never set one up. Any suggestions on software to do it, experience with what that solution is like? Is a 256 GB SSD with a 1TB HDD a reasonable ratio? Should I just bite the bullet and buy another larger SSD for game storage?

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

It would be far more simple to just buy a bigger SSD.

• Now that I'm thinking about it, I might just throw it in reverse, Install Windows 10 on the 256 and use the 512 for a games drive which will be enough to at least get whatever I'm currently playing on it. Media backups going right now.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

For Windows, there's Intel Smart Response, and then there is separate hardware cards. Not sure what would work with AMD + Windows besides expensive enterprise software.

However, all things are possible through Linux.

Cliff_Forster