Help me migrate gaming files from old to new android tablet.

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

Okay, this is dumb and I know it. Back in May I sustained serious injury in a fall from a ladder. I am looking at a 9 month to a year convalescence. To pass the time, I have been gaming on my old android tablet as well as my desktop PC. I started playing Angry Birds Transformers (I know its a juvenile game but.................I have enjoyed it.) My old android tablet is kind of slow and glitchy so I bought a new one. I would like to transfer my Angry Birds Transformers progress to the new tablet rather than starting from the beginning. I have searched and tried solutions I could find online to no avail. One, using Helium software, was recommended but I have not been able to get it to work. I have copied the gaming files and saved them to a USB drive, but I cannot get them accepted/activated in the new game install. My old tablet is Ice Cream Sandwich and my new one is Lollipop. Can any of you gaming gurus help? Thanks.

BTW, don't ever fall from a ladder. Never climb one without backup help and support. The consequences can be devastating. Take my word for it.

Linc

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Oh man! So glad you're okay! Sorry about your injuries bro :(

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

AFAIK the only way to do this is with root on both tablets. Use Titanium Backup (or similar) to backup app+data on old tablet, move those files to a PC, then from the PC to the new tablet and restored with Titanium Backup.

:( Speedy recovery, adarryl. Sorry man.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Most recent Android games sync with Play Games, did you see if you can do that (or if it already has)? If it's able to hook up that way, then just logging in with your Google account will sync your save.

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian

Thanks for the input and well wishing! Rovio has apparently not enabled syncing of Angry Birds Transformers with Play Games. I guess I am SOL. I tried following this tutorial, but it's not working for me: https://www.maketecheasier.com/move-game-progress-between-android-devices/

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I went through this same process trying to bring my kitties over (Neko Atsume). I was so confident in Helium based on what I was reading that I jumped straight to paying for premium to use the drop box option. Unfortunately the same result. 3 hours of frustration and a canceled Play Store order later, the kitties are still on the old phone. :(

-Digi

LOL! Sorry @BobbyDigi, but somehow I take solace in your failure frustration. I can relate and then some. Mi casa, su casa? No, my misery is your misery. Great sufferers brood alike.

BobbyDigi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I did precisely what you're asking for with what @Thrax offered. Listing out your devices and their current software versions would be helpful to tell you if it is possible

edited August 2016

From what little I know about Titanium Backup, it requires both tablets to be rooted. Neither of mine are and I have no clue how to do it. BTW, by "current software versions," I am assuming you mean the operating system versions. Let me check on that.

Correct. Device models and whatever is currently on there, so we can point you at rooting info (if it is possible). Accessible via Settings -> About (Tablet) and we'll probably need Android Version and maybe Build Number.

edited August 2016

Here are the two tablets:

Old: Asus TF300T, Android 4.2.1, Build # JOP40D.US_epad-10.6.1.27.5-20130902

New: Pipo W1S, dual boot Win 10 or Android 5.1, Build W1S_20160420

Both tablets have the same Transformers version installed: 1.18.56

So your old device has a community on XDA and is probably possible to root. Taking a backup beforehand highly recommended since some of the ways "require" you to lose data.

I don't see the new device on any of the sites I remember checking for this sort of stuff before. You could try unlocking the bootloader (maybe in the manual) and installing root via SuperSU app from google store.

Thanks, @Tushon, but that info is above my pay grade if you know what I mean. LOL!

• The PIPO is an x86 tablet... will you even be able to restore backups from an ARM device on an x86 device? I'm not familiar enough with Android x86 to know.

edited August 2016

Specs on my tablet say x64. The processor is this one: Atom X5-Z8300 64bit Quad Core 1.84GHz

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2016

@adarryl said:
    Specs on my tablet say x64. The processor is this one: Atom X5-Z8300 64bit Quad Core 1.84GHz

x64 is covered under the umbrella term of x86. It's an extension of the x86 architecture and is more commonly referred to as x86_64. Either way, it's not ARM and my question still stands.

@ardichoke said:
    The PIPO is an x86 tablet... will you even be able to restore backups from an ARM device on an x86 device? I'm not familiar enough with Android x86 to know.

Yes. Data is generic, binaries are (generally) universal because of JIT.

edited August 2016

@Thrax said:

@ardichoke said:
    The PIPO is an x86 tablet... will you even be able to restore backups from an ARM device on an x86 device? I'm not familiar enough with Android x86 to know.

Yes. Data is generic, binaries are (generally) universal because of JIT.

Data is most definitely not generic. There are plenty of cases where architecture differences cause a need to convert data if it's moved between them. Just off the top of my head, big vs little endian data.

Additionally, ARM only introduced 64-bit support in 2011 and the processor in that TF300T is a 32-bit ARM chip. Depending on the data, the OS and the application it may not be possible to restore a backup for a particular app from a 32-bit system on a 64-bit system without conversion. Going 32-bit ARM to 64-bit x86, when the application itself doesn't support exporting/importing the data and you have to use third party tools to dump the underlying data store is going to be a pretty questionable proposition. I would not be at all surprised if it didn't work in at least some cases.

We're talking about save state data for angry birds, not m00nix kernels for the space shuttle. The app data is almost assuredly generic; most APKs on Android are compiled with universal support for any CPU ISA Android officially supports. That's the point of Dalvik.

edited September 2016

Never trust a developer to make their data generic. They do stupid backwards things all the time. You cannot say with certainty that it is generic unless you actually know the data, which I do not believe you do. Not that it will hurt anything trying to move it, I'm just saying it might not be as easy as people are trying to make it out to be.

Also, Dalvik isn't in use anymore. ART was included in 4.4 and completely replaced Dalvik in 5.0. Dalvik had nothing to do with the stored data, from my understanding, but rather with the executable bytecode itself.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2016

@ardichoke said:
    Never trust a developer to [do what you assume is reasonable]

#cosign