Icrontic EVE Discussion

14567810»

Comments

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian

It's free to play in a literal sense, but not particularly free to enjoy. If you end your subscription you lose access to all the skills you've trained beyond those the new accounts have access to. If you like basic mining, frigates and destroyers, you're fine.

• Of course the free to play limited accounts are going to be pretty gimped from the sounds of it. Nothing higher than a cruiser class ship and only one within the faction you chose at character creation.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

Don't free accounts still have three character slots? So get a Gallente, Minmatar and Caldari character and fly in frig and destroyer fleets with groups that provide freebie ships. You can still have a lot of fun in a fleet of Atrons or Talwars. Or be a baller and fly a Caracal ;)

• HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian

Unless they have some unannounced change it's likely going to be **impossible **to do anything in highsec after this. Free, unlimted catalyst/thrasher ganker accounts for everyone.

• @Harudath said:
    Unless they have some unannounced change it's likely going to be **impossible **to do anything in highsec after this. Free, unlimted catalyst/thrasher ganker accounts for everyone.

They said in the Q&A portion of their announcement that if suicide gankers using free accounts becomes a problem, they will adjust things to nerf that. Basically, making it so you can't turn safeties off with an Alpha clone most likely.

BuddyJ

Been playing Freeve for a week or two now. Mainly just doing some manufacturing and station trading since that's an activity I hadn't participated in previously, and once I get bored with making money I'll go do some exploration. Minimal time sink for some ISK. So far, there's nothing really preventing me from doing any of the activities I previously did with a paid account. Yes, I'm limited only to smaller, cheaper ships and equipment but that's the beauty of EVE... you can still play and be effective without shiny gear.

Not sure what the new player experience is really like right now since I'm playing with my main character. But if you want to check out the game for the first time, or to return like I did to see what's changed, there's nothing holding you back. Give it a shot.

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

I'm playing again too. A little worried about getting addicted to it tbh. But for now if anyone wants help, or to fleet up, give me a holler! Remember, trust is the most valuable currency in Eve.

I noticed the game got a lot of polish lately. A better look and feel. The devs are also chipping away at the steep learning curve, but as a sandbox game, it will always have heaps for you to learn.

BuddyJ

Today EVE opened up lots of spaceships to free characters! Everyone now has access to train into about 100 ship hulls - that includes battleships & pirate battleships. Plus we gained many competitive tech 2 weapons and defenses for PVP needs. People also say EVE's visually more amazing every year, although me and my 2010 graphics card wouldn't know.

I invested loads of Interstellar Kredits in flipping those pirate ships on the market, so do come buy & fly :) I've been playing as a free account and not missing the paid stuff much; I like to see what I can accomplish with low investment and calculated risk. But yeah, the rabbit hole of understanding the game is kind of addicting.

Activities I still want to try:

• High security ganking, to steal stuff from unwary hauling players
    • Black ops jump bridging to travel without stargates
    BuddyJ
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@EMT said:
    Activities I still want to try:

• High security ganking, to steal stuff from unwary hauling players
    • Black ops jump bridging to travel without stargates

My summary of these:

• Generally fun for you and can be rage-inducing for the other end (having been at both ends, it taught me about buying insurance)
    • Mostly boring, but occasionally heart-pounding, OHSHITFUCK pounding of buttons to get back to dock

Hey @Tushon, thanks, do you still play? Any thoughts on recent changes?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

No, I haven't played for several years now. I lacked effective self-control for EVE and anything else.

EMT

Yeah, I feel that

I high-sec ganked for a while. If you've got a group to gank with it can be fun because you'll spend a lot of time waiting for your combat timers to go away. Spamming local and chatting on coms makes the time pass nicely. Just be sure to have a good scout that can get on top of your targets without scaring them off.