I may return to Folding with Team 93; but first I need to pass on some 48-core workstations.

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian

As some of you may know, I left Folding@Home a year and a half ago due to my Folding systems not being efficient for Folding at that time. I had too much invested in them to just turnaround and build better optimized machines. It's been a great ride with BOINC with those systems, but that too is ending. Power here in Alaska is expensive (twice the national average where I live), and I just can't justify the cost anymore of 24-hour distributed computing. The good news is that I will finally be building new GPU-compute systems, optimized for Folding....Team 93, baby. That is, if I can unload some used monster workstations. :)

If anyone's interested in 48-Core (real cores) AMD Magny Cours, overclocking ready, Linux loving beasts, please contact me. I have already traded one for some sought after parts, but I still have three for sale.

Moderators, if I need to start a formal Trading Post thread, please let me know.

Leonardo

Sonorous

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Are these towers or rack mounted?

• Could you post a part list? Also, as shwaiples said, tower or rackmount? Asking price?

_k
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

All good on this thread, no need to start a new one :)

I'll talk to Linc about buying one of these systems for the basement of ICHQ as a dedicated Team 93 box.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    I'll talk to Linc about buying one of these systems for the basement of ICHQ as a dedicated Team 93 box.

Wasn't the point that they're not efficient enough to use for that?

Ryder
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:

Wasn't the point that they're not efficient enough to use for that?

Correct, it would be both power and time wasteful.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought it was that it wasn't efficient for him due to power costs in Alaska being so high.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yeah, the changes to how points are awarded make it much more efficient to run GPU based. It also appears the projects supporting cores beyond 6 is still touch and go.

Set the CPU number to a value that is a multiple of 2 and/or 3, I would recommend 8, and then un-pause the CPU slot. If the client did not stop trying to download after you paused the slot, you will need to restart the FAHClient process first.
    You used to be able to get an assignment for a setting of CPU:10, but projects that are able to process on a multiple of 5 were in short supply recently. Some other commonly usable settings have become less usable as well recently. A future version of the client may handle adjusting requests for CPU assignments better.

Source

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian

Hi, guys. Sorry about dropping the thread and seemingly running away. I guess I didn't have my preferences set to notify me activity in the thread/conversation. I've sold two systems; two are left. Absolutely correct that multi-core CPU is no longer an efficient producer for Folding@Home work units. The Supermicro G34 4Ps do though, kick ass in BOINC CPU-oriented projects, such as some World Community Grid (IBM) projects and Rosetta (University of Washington). I enjoyed volunteering for those projects very much, I just can't suffer the power bill anymore. My electricity rate here in is about twice that of the national US average. I will continue with distributed computing, just not 48-core G34. Here's the parts list. If there's more than casual interest I'll post a Trading Post thread.

48-Core AMD 6000 Series Opteron Workstation-Servers, Overclocking Ready

Two (2) AMD Opteron (Magny Cours), 48-Core, Server-Workstations for sale. These systems are rock solid reliable and are overclocking ready.

All the hardware is in very good to excellent condition and was fully functional as of August 19, when I last operated these systems.

- CPU heatsinks do not include fans.

‘G3’ Package
    Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, [H] Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
    CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6172, 12-Core, Magny Cours, 12-core
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB
    CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, [H] “Musky mod” and original hardware

‘G7’ Package
    Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, [H] Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
    CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
    Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 32GB/16 X 2GB
    CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, [H] “Musky mod;" do NOT have all the original OEM hardware

///TRADED/// 'G5' Package
    Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGL-iF (Socket G34), Rev. 1.0, Tear's BIOS GL1NG4.511
    CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron, 2 X 6174 + 2 X 6176; Magny Cours, 12-core
    Memory: 64GB/16 X 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, CL 9, 1.5v
    CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, “Musky mod” and original hardware

///SOLD///‘G4’ Package
    Motherboard: Supermicro H8QGi+-F (Socket G34), Rev. 1.01, [H] Tear’s BIOS G60NG4.A11
    CPU: 4 X AMD Opteron 6174, Magny Cours, 12-core
    Memory: G.Skill, Ripjaws, DDR3 1333, CL 7, 1.5v, 32GB/16 X 2GB
    CPU Heatsink: 4 X Cooler Master Hyper 212, [H] “Musky mod” and original hardware

I welcome any questions you might have. 

Leo

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian

Again, sorry about not responding. I've fixed my notification preferences.