Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Time factor bro. It should be more of a linear scale but you might not be comparing the same series of WUs.

PPD = 14.4 * base_points * max(1, sqrt( 14.4 * k * Expiration / TPF)) / TPF

Garg
  • Makes sense. I've never paid that much attention to how the points are calculated. I don't care THAT much about Internet points, just found it curious is all. I also upgraded that box to a much newer kernel when I took it down to install the new hardware, wonder if that helped as well?

@Siv_ what the heck?! I would appreciate an explanation on what you are running, wow.

One from @Massalinie wouldn't be bad either.

Garg
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

soon.jpg

Temperatures are going down so the first day without the need to turn on the A/C is approaching and I will start folding. Hopefully my video card doesn't croak.

Garg
  • k said:
    @Siv
    what the heck?! I would appreciate an explanation on what you are running, wow.

If that is who I think it is (and I'm 99% sure, based on who he was invited by, that it is).... then I'd be willing to bet he's testing a custom built cloud solution for a client using F@H. Or just having fun with hardware at his work.

Garg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@BlackHawk said:
    soon.jpg

Temperatures are going down so the first day without the need to turn on the A/C is approaching and I will start folding. Hopefully my video card doesn't croak.

It recently got cool enough for me to get my GPU going at least half the day :fold:

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I turned off monitor idle-off last weekend and forgot I'd done so. It's fixed now.

My 610watt PCP&C is finally on its last rails, a white box legit one. Tried running a single 9 series GTX card on it today and the system kept rebooting. Had to pull out my bitcoin miner PSU to run the GPU. My second oldest PSU I own. Sadly the Antec NeoHE is out living everything despite being covered in concrete dust, regular dust, blood, and some other things that are not supposed to be on computers.

SonorousGarg
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

It's always funny to me how parts that are supposed to be subpar and treated poorly seem to outlast the superior ones. For example, I had a Kenwood receiver from a home theater in a box that has worked for the last 15 years, but I have been through two Onkyo receivers.

• Siv_Siv_ Lansing, MI Member

I'm folding on three nVidia 1080s OC'd at minimum +40MHz proc and 200Mhz mem. No CPU folding. Just those three GPUs are netting me +2,500,000ppd if I let them run 24/7 (meaning no overwatch, mwo, e:d, or stellaris, so obvs that doesn't happen often). It's actually pretty disgusting how much computing power these cards have now. If Windows had an OS-level option to "donate idle computing resources to research" with idle sensitivity as high as it has for BITS traffic and updates, and it M$ got together with goog and whoever for a quick media campaign about how the average home user can help cure cancer, aids, alzheimers, cystic fibrosis, et al, we'd have grad students around the world scrambling to keep our WU queues full.

GargMassalinie

Also, if you don't disable SLI while folding, you'll see a 20% drop in fahclient performance. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's along the same problem path as trying to run explicit multi-gpu code on GPUs slaved with SLI/CFX etc. So, remember to disable SLI while you're at work and your gaming rig is curing cancer.

Massalinie
  • Holy shit, @Siv_ out of nowhere proving my hypothesis wrong. Typical.

primesuspectMassalinieSiv_
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Jaaaaaaysus. My R9 285 only gets about 120k PPD, but that means a single 1080 gets about 800k PPD. Single precision FLOPS of a 1080 are only 2.5x a 285. Folding clients must love the Pascal architecture or something.

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2016

I'm running a single GTX 1070 at default settings, (no OC yet, maybe later) and my i5 is chugging along as well but it's only like 10-40k of my total ppd. Gaming interrupts the 24/7 thing for me too haha but also I accidentally left it on cpu only over most of the weekend so I don't have an accurate ppd yet but it appears to be somewhere between 500-800k, usually it estimates around 750. Siv's ppd just blows my mind. Hot damn.

edited October 2016

My home set-up is running 1.2M-1M between two 970s 1481/1500 and a single 980 Ti with some OC(working on this). These three can hit 1.4M but all three cards need to be on good WUs. The 980 feels kind of disappointing because when it goes low production, 530k, those WUs take about 6 hours.

edited October 2016

Well and the other thing is I'm currently heating my (Seattle) apartment with gaming and folding clients, so there's that aspect of it too. I have yet to get the Asrog M8E to fully adjust fan speeds based on my LCS t.probe, so I have to keep fiddling with the fans to keep my sweet delta-T/dB efficiency, but hey it's cozy in my office.

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian

Power consumption: I promised my wife that electricity usage for these new configurations would be no more than 50% of what it was previously, which was horrendous. The wife's a very good woman. If I hadn't promised her, I would have had to promise it to myself. I'm not going the obsessive-compulsive route again. :)

Had to shut everything down to move furniture and steam my carpets. I was hoping to overtake Dras by the end of the month, but I don't see that happening now. soon.jpg

Anyone else have problems with nVidia drivers 375.63 and it causing your GPU slot to fail? 375.70 released today seemed to fix it I think. I was a little worried I was having a hardware issue.

_k

I updated a few days ago and the display driver failed 100% as cores engaged. Rolled back and the issue resolved. Seems it was a real problem, also a good reason to test updates on a system with a head and fingers before pushing it out to the headless farm.

Sonorous
    edited November 2016

375.70 seem to be just as broken. Trying something back from September.

YYYYUUUUPPPPPPP! Tried the new release and it was partially more stable but once it hit intensive loads display driver would crash.

372.90; use it.

edited October 2016

I'm running 373.06 without any problems at all.

edited November 2016

Of all nights I hit that rank on Halloween. If only I could trade my soul for about 20 billion points.

SonorousGargprimesuspectMassalinie

Outstanding, k!

• sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian

Wow, I step away for a bit and when I come back to look at the stats, things are really heating up :) Welcome back Leonardo

primesuspectGarg