Nintendo Switch (formerly codenamed NX) and mobile gaming

Comments

• My only concern is the controller. It looks hand cramp inducing tiny for my giant gorilla paws. Otherwise, I'm intrigued and this may be the first Nintendo console I buy since the N64 (which I sold for credit toward a Playstation anyway). I could see this being a road trip necessity for my wife and I.

BuddyJ
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    My only concern is the controller. It looks hand cramp inducing tiny for my giant gorilla paws. Otherwise, I'm intrigued and this may be the first Nintendo console I buy since the N64 (which I sold for credit toward a Playstation anyway). I could see this being a road trip necessity for my wife and I.

Perhaps they'll follow their handheld model and release a Switch XL with better battery life, a bigger screen, and more comfortable controls for those with larger hands

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2016

@ardichoke said:
    My only concern is the controller. It looks hand cramp inducing tiny for my giant gorilla paws.

Didn't they also feature a larger controller in the trailer? It's all wireless anyway, right? I can't imagine they'll have fewer controller options on this thing than the Wii. I'd bet $5 that Wiimotes et. al. will work.

And if you're going full-mobile... it's at least as big as those tiny DS controls right?

Massalinie
  • @Linc said:

@ardichoke said:
    My only concern is the controller. It looks hand cramp inducing tiny for my giant gorilla paws.

Didn't they also feature a larger controller in the trailer? It's all wireless anyway, right? I can't imagine they'll have fewer controller options on this thing than the Wii. I'd bet $5 that Wiimotes et. al. will work.

And if you're going full-mobile... it's at least as big as those tiny DS controls right?

It's more about the thickness than anything (PHRASING, BOOM) when it comes to my hands cramping up while gaming. At least that's how it seems. That's part of what I like about the Steam controller. The Switch controller appears to be made pretty thin and boxy, which always has given me comfort issues. Perhaps one of their aftermarket controllers will solve that, I'm not Cliffing out here saying "OMFG IT'S A FAILURE ALREADY," just saying that's my one concern after watching the trailer and looking at the images.

Also, you shouldn't fear sharing the Switch with Prime... there's fecal coliform bacteria EVERYWHERE, not just in the bathroom. Didn't you see that episode of Mythbusters?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:
    THE perfect pooping console. Sold.

We are so not sharing this console.

Oh of course not. I consider this a handheld system. People can't really share a 3DS, so I'm sure we'll have our own Switches. This is a day one purchase for me too.

Massalinie

@ardichoke said:
    Also, you shouldn't fear sharing the Switch with Prime...

The other part is the console disappearing into the bathroom for an hour a day. That's no improvement over sharing a TV at that point.

GHoosdum
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:

Oh of course not. I consider this a handheld system. People can't really share a 3DS, so I'm sure we'll have our own Switches. This is a day one purchase for me too.

Will it feature a handheld price?

• @primesuspect said:
    Cliff I think you're taking what Cliff wants and turning it into "well, I want this so the entire gaming world does too".

Isn't that what is all about?

Kidding aside, why do you think their handhelds have done so well? Now it is a PS vita that you can plug into your TV...

The DS and Wii were different and innovative. The switch just feels like it is going head to head agaisnt Sony and MS, and they are taking Nintendo's lunch money in the living room already and when you can but a PS4 for half the cost of a Switch when it comes out... Nintendo is barking up the wrong tree.

I love Nintendo by the way.... just think the strategy ignores the massive sucess of the first Wii console.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

-Digi

Cliff_ForsterLincardichokeMassalinie

@CB said:

@primesuspect said:

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:

Will it feature a handheld price?

I'm going to guess it's going to come in at $299. That's only $50 more than the 3DS was at launch.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

The switch just feels like it is going head to head agaisnt Sony and MS,

How? Sony and MS have nothing like it.

Kidding aside, why do you think their handhelds have done so well?

Because Nintendo has a great first and third-party library for its handheld business. Something it really lacks in the console space.

The switch, it's a cry to appeal to an audience that has long abandoned Nintendo

Really? Because, to me, the Switch looks like a Super 3DS. One area Nintendo is doing incredibly well at.

If they would just go back to basics, make the Wii HD, make a ton of simple games, go back to the familiar Wii controller design buffed up a bit

Like the Wii U? Which sold very poorly?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Thrax said:

The switch just feels like it is going head to head agaisnt Sony and MS,

How? Sony and MS have nothing like it.

Kidding aside, why do you think their handhelds have done so well?

Because Nintendo has a great first and third-party library for its handheld business. Something it really lacks in the console space.

The switch, it's a cry to appeal to an audience that has long abandoned Nintendo

Really? Because, to me, the Switch looks like a Super 3DS. One area Nintendo is doing incredibly well at.

If they would just go back to basics, make the Wii HD, make a ton of simple games, go back to the familiar Wii controller design buffed up a bit

Super 3DS seems like a pretty good way to put it.

Actually I wonder if the 3DS continues on as a supported handheld or if its time is up and Nintendo transitions to an era of a single product. I know it won't go away immediately but if they drop a bomb and announce compatibility with the 3DS library (perhaps without the 3D aspect) I could see it happening sooner rather than later.

• If they would just go back to basics, make the Wii HD, make a ton of simple games, go back to the familiar Wii controller design buffed up a bit

The Wii U did poorly because it was nothing like the original Wii console. It went back to dual sticks, extra screens, multiple control schemes for every title. Yeah, you could still play the old Wii on it, but early on they desperately wanted 3D mainstream titles from 3rd party developers as their new content. They had Call of Duty, Watchdogs, Batman, and several other ports of games that just played better on other platforms. Nintendo lost their identity as the mini game fun loving kid who lets Grandma play... That is what made the Wii great, the Wii U had none of that.

Hardware wise it's nothing special, running Tegra, the freaking Ouya ran a Tegra chip. It's not going to win any battles there. So what's it do? Well, it basically takes everything that is interesting about the two screen DS experience and makes it a PS Vita with a less appealing form factor. Why? I can play on TV or mobile... Okay, way to cannibalize your own market....

Sorry, guys, the Switch is going to send Nintendo the way of Sega. In five years Mario for Xbox will be released.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@_k said:

@RahnalH102 said:
    And if nVidia really helped with the development of this system as I hear, then I think it has some pretty darn good potential.

Here is there press release about, its tagged Tegra.

I've never been impressed with Tegra chips, but usually they've been running Android. If they really put this much custom work into development and the OS is much lighter than Android, it could be much more impressive. But I don't believe any of the hype that centers on Tegra borrowing from this or that NVIDIA technology until I see how many shaders it has and their clockspeed.

If it's based on the Tegra X2, it has the potential to be about 50% faster than the X1, and more than twice as fast as the Wii U. At ~750 GFlops, the Tegra X2's GPU would be less than 1/2 the speed of the original PS4, but then, taking the PS4 to a rooftop party isn't as easy.

FLOPS don't mean anything at all. :)

primesuspect
  • @Thrax said:

Mr. Dick Fosbury disagrees.

ardichoke
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

I am super excited about this system. I will probably buy first day.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Thrax said:

They don't say anything about maximum performance? I mean, everyone here knows that theoretical performance, actual performance, perceived performance, and marketing are all different things, so I didn't address all that.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

tl;dr: Dick FLOPS maximum performance.

What is "max performance" anyways? FLOPS is just a meadurement of how many pure floating point calculations can be done in a second. But it says nothing about triangles or vertices per clock, or shading rate, or render passes, or fill rate, or memory bandwidth, or mitigating caches and buffers, or software optimization. FLOPS is a very hypothetical and scientific value, and it doesn't impart the necessary wisdom to convey throughput in real workloads. Even the definition of "real workload" is super fuzzy.

Sonorous
  • I was originally intrigued by the Wii U. I didn't buy it because the game library sucked. I would imagine there will be an initial sales surge for the Switch, but unless Nintendo follows through with some serious game development for it, I don't see it capturing a lot of market share.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

@Linc said:
    I'd bet $5 that Wiimotes et. al. will work.

Not the case, apparently. I uh, asked [redacted] and Wii remotes are not in the cards for this system.

From what I understand, the detachable mini controllers will have the pointer functionality of the old remotes.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Preordered a Nintendo Switch.
    I am excited for the new zelda, bomberman, and splatoon 2.

lulufitzgerald

Breath of the Wild looks incredible, and SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY OMG

@primesuspect said:
    Breath of the Wild looks incredible

If you want to preview the breath of the wild just let Rocky lick your face.

ZanthianUPSLynx

@Linc just so we're not crossing streams, I'll be pre-ordering this for the house :D

Zanthian

So, like, can one of these things play 2p games? What happens for 4p? Can you even do 4p?

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I've owned every Nintendo console and I don't see why this one will be any break in that. The new Zelda and Mario games look fantastic.