Music on vinyl

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Got my new favorite Vinyl in the mail.

Living Sacrifice - Ghost Thief
    Limited edition clear vinyl pressing. Cover signed by the band.

Bonus sweetness in that the album came with a copy of Living Sacrifice's In Finite Live DVD. The DVD is a concert they did at The Glass House in Pomona, Ca back on August 15th, 2009. I just happened to be there! This is the DVD with my ticket and wristband from the show along with a set list used on stage.

Rock On!

-Digi

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Guys, you have no idea how immersed in this world I am about to become. No idea.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

why?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Goddamnit I took the bait.

primesuspect
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Fuck you, man. I have a new baby coming. How the hell am I supposed to feed them when I'm going to be spending so much money on new equipment?

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

So the MSRP is gonna be what? $1,600? The teaser on the site looks WAY better aesthetically than VPIs other turntables. Will these be assembled in Detroit using components from New Jersey?

I'm really interested to see where Shinola wants to play in the market.

ardichoke
  • Anyone have firsthand experience with a U-Turn Audio Orbit? I'm reading good things about it, it's made in the US, and it's under 200 bucks. Thinking about upgrading my current turntable. Lord knows I won't be able to afford the Shinola.

@BuddyJ said:
    So the MSRP is gonna be what? $1,600? The teaser on the site looks WAY better aesthetically than VPIs other turntables. Will these be assembled in Detroit using components from New Jersey?

I'm really interested to see where Shinola wants to play in the market.

It's an interesting space. We'll be coming in higher than $1600. They are designed by us, using our supply chain of existing materials and suppliers from our other products, and yes, they are going to be assembled here using components from all over. There are some pretty big features that separate us from the pack which I can't talk about yet, but I think people will understand the pricing once they understand what they're getting.

BuddyJ

Friend of mine has the Orbit @ardichoke. It's not bad, and he got it for a great price off of Massdrop. Definitely better than most Crosleys and the like. Be sure to check out the Pro-Ject Essential and Debut, and Rega RP1 before you buy. They're both priced higher than the Orbit but I think they come with better cartridges than the standard Orbit.

http://vinylmeplease.com/the-best-turntables-under-500/

• Yeah, the problem with both the Pro-Ject turntables and the Rega RP1 are that they're nearly 2x the price of the Orbit Basic. That's not just a little more expensive. I don't listen to my vinyl often enough to justify spending that much on a turntable at the moment.

The standard Orbit comes with an Audio-Technica AT91B cartridge... I haven't done a ton of research but I was under the impression that it's a decent basic cartridge. Am I wrong?

Alright team,

I have to buy a turntable for ICHQ. It's time, and I'm not going to be able to get one of our own for a long time, but they do want me to have one at the house.

I have about a $500 budget. I would like it to have a built-in phono pre-amp. Where do I start?

For your use the Orbit Basic is probably everything you'd ever need. And if you decide to upgrade it to the Plus specs down the road you can easily upgrade the platter and cartridge down the road. The AT91B will be just fine I'm sure. It'll sound decent and not tear up your albums.

Do you have a pre-amp already or are you using a receiver that supports phono IN?

@primesuspect you can build an Orbit with a built-in preamp. https://store.uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-custom

Is there a reason you want a built-in preamp? It can really be a limiting factor on getting a higher quality turntable. Also, do you need speakers or will you be hooking it up to an existing sound system?

edited October 2016

Eventually I will need to be able to compare and contrast with our turntable which has our own built-in phono pre-amp

If you're buying just a turntable w/preamp for $500:
    Orbit w/ built-in Pluto Preamp, acrylic turntable, and Ortofon OM 5E cartridge - $360

If you need a nice setup for $500:
    Audio Technica turntable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/
    Speakers - https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B000VKEFN2 or https://www.amazon.com/Kanto-2-Way-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B00GMPDAAO

If you're looking for decent speakers that won't break the bank but still put out good sound, this is a worthwhile kit to consider. Most of us are handy enough to assemble it.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/fostex-p1000e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/

• @BuddyJ - I'm a huge fan of the Audioengine powered speakers. You get every penny you pay for in quality there.

Powered speakers are nice but they can be a little limiting. My set up is old school amp with passives and a powered sub.

These two pieces of audio gear have been on my short list for awhile. Currently I'm slumming it with an old Onkyo 5.1 AV receiver that I converted for stereo. I want something with onboard Bluetooth, a nice onboard DAC plugging in digital on the fly and a good option for vinyl as well. The PS Audio has it's own Phono pre amp onboard but it is less feature rich otherwise and a bit more expensive. The TEAC occasionally hit's a sale and drops to just over $300 and really at $399 it seems to be a reasonable bargain assuming your turntable has a good preamp onboard.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/ps-audio-sprout-and-teac-ai-301da-integrated-ampdacs-review#FdqZLvE7bC2QYAM7.97

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2016

I personally would go with a Denon DP300F. Denon has been making quality audiophile disk spinners since the beginning of time. Almost everything they produce is high quality. Then add an Ortofon OM5e cartridge. I may sound opinionated but I have been loving vinyl for over 45 years and feel that this combo or at least another similar Ortofon will be the best thing you can get without going hog wild.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-DP-300F-Automatic-Analog-Turntable/dp/B000FMNBXG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444072693&sr=1-1&keywords=denon+dp+300f&linkCode=sl1&tag=vimepl-20&linkId=e7bca4ae6fd21bb296d12427bb96c335

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A0C0U8/ref=mp_s_a_1_67?ie=UTF8&qid=1477101024&sr=8-67&pi=AC_SX177_SY255_QL65&keywords=ortofon+cartridge

BuddyJ

That's a killer deal!

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2016

To me, as surprising as the resurgence of vinyl has been, even more so has been the market lean towards belt driven tables. In 2016 where vibration isolatong direct drive motors are cheap and easy to manufacture, why isn't every turntable made that way? You can not beat a direct drive for consistancy of speed, improved torque and lower maintence. Is it that belts just seem more retro sexy to the hipster kids? Seems like form over function to me.

I agree @Cliff_Forster, because by the time the late 70's rolled around anybody who was into quality systems was switching to direct drive.

Cliff_Forster
  • It is facinating. I think it is more about the ritual. Honestly, the bigger problems you encounter as a listener have less to do with the format and more with how modern music is mastered and dynamically compressed to sound louder and more consistant on cheap audio gear.

Older analog recordings and mastering techniques were better, but truth be told, vinyl isn't a better format than CD, yet there is just something about the experience.

Any thoughts/experiences with the TEAC TN-300?

Nice looking table @primesuspect. The only downside I've seen about it is some people question the tonearm design, and the motor speed isn't as accurate as others on the market. For $40 more, the Denon @Mt_Goat recommended in this thread offers better specs.

• @BuddyJ said:
    For your use the Orbit Basic is probably everything you'd ever need. And if you decide to upgrade it to the Plus specs down the road you can easily upgrade the platter and cartridge down the road. The AT91B will be just fine I'm sure. It'll sound decent and not tear up your albums.

Do you have a pre-amp already or are you using a receiver that supports phono IN?

Pretty sure my receiver has a phono IN... but I need to verify that before I make any purchases. Either way, nothing is going to be bought until after the holidays. Hoping for some sweet Amazon gift card bucks.

BuddyJ

Looking at the specs, the Denon with a Ortofon 2M Red again would be best to compare the Shinola to. The Runwell turntable looks hawt.