ICOK 2016 Beer Tasting - uno dos tres QUAD

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited October 2016 in Events

When I began collecting and cellaring beer, it was pretty well established by some of the more prolific beer writers and critics that of all the beer styles in the world, the Belgian Quadruple would be one that would be agreed upon by the most to contain some of the best beers in the world. And with the advent of sites like Beeradvocate, Ratebeer, and Untappd, everyday beer drinkers often found the same.

So I began laying down some very nice beers that I would eventually put together in a tasting, adding a new one here and there as I came across them.

That began 6 years ago and this weekend we will drink those beers.

Depending on how many people we have for the tasting we will be drinking between 5-11 beers, the core 5 among the top 50 quads on Ratebeer and some of those in the top 50 beers in all categories, at least for many years.

We will be doing this as a blind horizontal so that we can rate the beers on their merits and not on any preconceived notions or hype that we may be privy to.

It is looking like Sunday afternoon is looking best for a lot of people, perhaps a 1:30-2pm start time.

Please post your "in" if you are interested. Kthxbai

We'll be drinking Belgian Quadrupels. That is all I can say at this point.
Still working out the final details. More info to come. Still trying to figure out a timeslot.

Comments

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

In, whenever.

• LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

In

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

In before 3:30ish. After that Jackie and I have to get on the road. Might just do small samples or share between the two of us, we'll figure something out.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:
    In before 3:30ish. After that Jackie and I have to get on the road. Might just do small samples or share between the two of us, we'll figure something out.

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    In, whenever.

@Levex said:
    In

How's your availability Sunday? Friday at 1pm is possible, but Sunday afternoon might be easier to pull off. Would like to know who's available for each timeslot.

Jackie and I are both here all day on Sunday. I'd def be down to do it then.

RyanMM
  • ezerezer Alexandria, VA Member

In - anytime between 10:30 Friday and 5 p.m. Sunday works well for me

RyanMM
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

In + Aaron. Whenevs.

RyanMM
  • LevexLevex Animal Whisperer Iowa Icrontian

Sunday is good!

Sunday is sounding very good. Takes the pressure off me and means I can actually work tomorrow during the afternoon. ;)

OP updated with details.

• UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian

In. Gibe Sunday.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

out, heading out Sunday morning. Enjoy!

@Tushon said:
    out, heading out Sunday morning. Enjoy!

Bummer!

• Ok fine oh god yes please this will be... Something.

RyanMM
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

In

RyanMM

Much thanks to all who could attend! Please do share your thoughts and favorites from the tasting.

Here's what we had:

Westy 12 (a blend of 2010 and 2012 bottles) (brown bead)
    Rochefort 10 (2010) (red bead)
    St Bernardus Abt 12 (2012) (black bead)
    Unibroue Terrible (2013) (blue bead)
    Dieu du Ciel Rigor Mortis Abt (a blend of 2010 and 2012 bottles) (silver bead)
    Southampton Abbot 12 (2014) (yellow bead)
    Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad (2011) (pink bead)
    Smuttynose Gravitation (2010) (green bead)
    New Glarus Unplugged Abt (2011) (light blue bead)
    Slyfox Ichor (2012) (clear bead)
    Dragonmead Armageddon Grand Cru (2011) (orange bead)

WagsFTW
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Man, really wish I could have been there. Terrible and Bernardus 12 are a couple of my favorites.

RyanMM

Legit one of the best blind tastings I've ever had at an Icrontic event (not including rare tastings, of course). All of the beers shared a VERY similar style, but were different enough to all feel unique. That, and quads are near the top of my list of favorite beer styles.

I had some real shockers with this tasting. I've had Westy 12 a couple of times now, and I was happy to know I rated it so highly blind as I would have while tasting it knowingly.

Southampton abbot 12 was a huge winner with most of us. That beer was superb and I want more. They really killed it.

Rochefort 10 continues to impress me as a massive, balanced beer that can be found just about anywhere. Same with Bernardus 12. Those are two top tier beers that you can easily get. Underappreciated by most.

2010 Gravitation was personally one of my favorites from this batch because of the whiskey/barrel notes to it. Outstanding beer.

Great stuff dude, thanks so much for putting this one on.

RyanMMLevex

Yeah, I need to find some more bottles of dat Southampton.