Project Fi

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

Any thoughts/opinions on Project Fi? I just got a Pixel XL and it comes with a Project Fi SIM.

I'll be travelling a bit over the next couple of years so the idea of global roaming is pretty cool and it says it works in the countries I'll be going to, so that's a huge plus.

I've been a very happy T-Mo customer for going on 12 years now, so switching is kind of a big deal to me. I've been pretty happy with T-Mo's coverage and international roaming, but I'm always up for lower rates.

Anybody using it? Thoughts?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

You get T-Mo's coverage + extra coverage + automatic refunds of unused data. @Annes & @pragtastic and myself all use and AFAIK have no complaints about the cell service/data side of things. T-Mobile also has a global roaming for data, but it was at a very low speed (when I went in 2014), where Fi is regular speed in most/all scenarios.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I switched to it a few months ago. No complaints so far. Definitely not a plan for heavy data users, though.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

My girlfriend has it and has complained to me a few times about call quality on her Pixel XL. We haven't done any troubleshooting yet, but she swears that it's the service that's causing the issues. Our area isn't really a good reflection of what Fi is capable of though due to T-mobile's sparse coverage anyway. She loves how cheap it is though, and Detroit has decent tmo coverage. I think it would be worth the try. The plan sharing stuff is cool too.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Detroit has excellent T-mo coverage.

I am a very heavy data user (4-6gb in a month)

The more I think about it, the more I realize it would be more expensive for me to switch to Project Fi so I'm probably not going to. I have unlimited data on T-Mo and I need it.

Sonorous

@primesuspect said:
    Detroit has excellent T-mo coverage.

I am a very heavy data user (4-6gb in a month)

The more I think about it, the more I realize it would be more expensive for me to switch to Project Fi so I'm probably not going to. I have unlimited data on T-Mo and I need it.

That was my feeling when She got Fi. For the amount of data I use it didn't really make sense.

• One of my coworkers has it, and loves it (aside from the fact that his Nexus 6 still hasn't gotten the Nougat upgrade). He's also a heavy data user, but he makes sure to use WiFi whenever possible and says he saves a toooon of money over what he used to pay.

Removing my line from my family plan would save $20 a month

Google Fi would cost more than that, so... no deal.

But I think I'll sign up for the month I'll be travelling. If it works in Vietnam cheaper than a local SIM, I'm in.

Yeah, I'm on wifi 90%+ of the time, so I use my 2GB on cell service and have my $40/month good to go.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I wouldn't mind your guys' opinion on this topic with regard to the specific situation I'm in.

The situation is interesting... I'm on the 30/mo t-mo plan using a gVoice number, but I'm not a super heavy data user - maybe 2GB/mo, if that... so I'm not really going to see much in the way of savings for switching. That means that money is not a concern in my dilemma, so it's more of a fun decision!

I could use a new phone - I took good care of my OPO, but it's starting to show some weird antenna issues. The Cyanogenmod nightmare also left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

My options are either to jump to a Nexus 6P (no pixel pls) with project fi, or go for a OnePlus 3T as soon as it's released.

Really, it boils down to toys - would it be more fun to try a 6P and Fi but basically shut OnePlus out in the cold forever, or would it be more fun to try the OP3T? What would YOU do?

OP3T is pretty compelling phone for price, especially compared to Pixel cost. You are missing out on Google Assistant and the sweet camera, but that's about it AFAIK. I think that was all @Thrax had to say about it recently. Both great phones

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Myrmidon said:
    Really, it boils down to toys - would it be more fun to try a 6P and Fi but basically shut OnePlus out in the cold forever, or would it be more fun to try the OP3T? What would YOU do?

I bought @pragtastic's refurbed Nexus 5X and gave my dad the gift of used OnePlus One for Christmas as his very first smartphone. Of course, mine wasn't experiencing any weird issues.

For me the decision is based almost entirely around the camera of the Pixel. My only other option for camera of that class was iPhone 7 and hell no.

The only issue with buying a 6P now, is the way Google has been handling Android upgrades to phones other than the Pixel. The Nexus model seems to be going the way of the dodo, as in, we Nexus owners get the latest and greatest features as long as the hardware can handle it. For example, I probably won't ever get the Google assistant on my 6P unless I root my device. Now, that's not really a big deal, but for future features that may come out, I may be out of luck with those as well. I wouldn't get a phone from Google that they aren't going to update with everything. Maybe that's just me though.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Nobody is gonna long-term update anything anymore. Not even Google. It's not profitable. #LateStageCapitalism

• @Thrax said:
    Nobody is gonna long-term update anything anymore. Not even Google. It's not profitable. #LateStageCapitalism

This is why projects like CyanogenMod are so import... AH FUCK.

mertesn
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

Oh shit what you going to be doing in Vietnam @primesuspect ?

@Karma said:
    Oh shit what you going to be doing in Vietnam @primesuspect ?

Hanging out with my dad. We're going to check out the rural areas he was stationed during the war.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Well that's pretty fucking cool.

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Any thoughts/opinions on Project Fi? I just got a Pixel XL and it comes with a Project Fi SIM.

I'll be travelling a bit over the next couple of years so the idea of global roaming is pretty cool and it says it works in the countries I'll be going to, so that's a huge plus.

I've been a very happy T-Mo customer for going on 12 years now, so switching is kind of a big deal to me. I've been pretty happy with T-Mo's coverage and international roaming, but I'm always up for lower rates.

Anybody using it? Thoughts?

A few of the photogs and team members I work with use this on the road and are in love with it. I'm seriously considering it for this year.

• @primesuspect - Not sure how relevant it is for what you are doing, but a friend of mine started a company where he offers a sort of unique roaming hotspot. It's intended to give you sim free access as needed anywhere you are. Tom is a super guy, if you want more info I'll give you his contact info.

https://getcandl.com/

@Cliff_Forster said:
    @primesuspect - Not sure how relevant it is for what you are doing, but a friend of mine started a company where he offers a sort of unique roaming hotspot. It's intended to give you sim free access as needed anywhere you are. Tom is a super guy, if you want more info I'll give you his contact info.

https://getcandl.com/

Looks cool. T-Mobile offers free global roaming everywhere so I'm covered. The service isn't always stellar but it's good enough between wi-fi and besides, I actually enjoy finding local SIMs from little mobile stores. It's part of the adventure :D