Dear 3D TV: Piss off

1235»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Just because something is beautiful does not mean it will sell. HDR is one of those fairly abstract concepts, it's hard to explain to someone, why they would want to upgrade a perfectly good working HDTV for it. I have a 1080P plasma, and I really, really like beautiful screens. I can't justify buying a 4K / HDR display. I just can't do it, and I know what I'm looking at and have a little bit of disposable income. HDR will gain traction just because it is a natural technical evolution, one that makes sense, but it's going to be several years before it is common.

3D didn't because it is just silly. I promise you too, in home VR as we know it today, it's going to die. Nobody wants to wear their tech on their heads. That's the last sacred place on our body. We carry it everywhere, our pockets, our backpacks, our wrists, ordinary folks are going to want to preserve their face as organic. VR will fizzle for the same reason as 3D TV, you have to wear some silly shit on your head to enjoy the tech. Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Of course HDR will take time. 1080p took nearly 20 years. But HDR doesn't require anything but a nice TV and good content (Blu-ray, Netflix and Amazon already have it). Unlike 3D that required expensive companion hardware, or didn't work for 15% of people, or 4K which cannot be distinguished unless you're sitting 3ft away at 50"... HDR looks beautiful at any size and from any distance. It just works.

Cliff_ForsterRyanMM
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Then there's those people that just don't care or can't tell the difference. I'm guessing there's a lot of them. 480p or 1080p, I dunno. 96kbps audio vs lossless, eh.

My MIL is still using a 21yr old CRT TV and the only reason she's contemplating switching to flat panel TV is because I told her it would be easier for me to bring her media to watch.

Some people just couldn't care less about some types of technology advancements.

CB
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Media drives the consumer. When content is widely available for consumption, it pushes the consumers en masse to newer technology. HDR is becoming widely available already. Regardless if you think it's better, we will all have it.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@BlackHawk said:
    Then there's those people that just don't care or can't tell the difference. I'm guessing there's a lot of them. 480p or 1080p, I dunno. 96kbps audio vs lossless, eh.

My MIL is still using a 21yr old CRT TV and the only reason she's contemplating switching to flat panel TV is because I told her it would be easier for me to bring her media to watch.

Some people just couldn't care less about some types of technology advancements.

"some" doesn't drive the market. There will always be outliers in either direction. For every one of your MILs, there's a person out there that will spend $30k on cutting-edge tech.

We're talking about market forces, not anecdotes.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

I'm actually curious to see how the TV market pans out in the near future with the ability to "watch" so much TV on your iPad via ATT/Spectrum/Verizon app offerings. It's not to say that a TV certainly has it's place, but I don't think the tablet market has been as potentially disruptive to the traditional TV model as it is, now.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@Thrax, you’re killing me! I love HDR photography, but have been working up to getting a new TV. Now I have to wait for a new technology to become available and reasonably priced? I thought 4K would fix me for the next decade.

• HDR televisions will sell because even though consumers don't know the technical definition, the term doesn't sound technical. It sounds enough like it's "improved HD" that mainstream consumers will buy it once the price premium shrinks a bit.

Zanthian
  • @Thrax said:
    Of course HDR will take time. 1080p took nearly 20 years. But HDR doesn't require anything but a nice TV and good content (Blu-ray, Netflix and Amazon already have it). Unlike 3D that required expensive companion hardware, or didn't work for 15% of people, or 4K which cannot be distinguished unless you're sitting 3ft away at 50"... HDR looks beautiful at any size and from any distance. It just works.

I agree 100%. HDR is a natural evolution technology. It works inside the paradigm of how TV works. There is always going to be room for a better picture, just a matter of how long that tech takes to penetrate a large base to justify more content creation for it. That's always the thing, how those two go hand in hand. Tech meet user base, meet content. Or is it Tech meet content, meet user base.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited February 2017

My wife has been asking me to upgrade our TV for a while. I think given the direction technology is going, it might be time. Honestly though, there's nothing wrong with it.

SonorousCliff_ForsterWinfreyMt_Goat
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian