Cloud Storage 2017

2»

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@Cyclonite said:

@CB said:
    I think I need a new back-up solution too. Crashplan's client won't stay up for more than a few minutes without crashing for the last few weeks. Anyone else having trouble with it?

I normally recommend CrashPlan to people, but maybe not right now?

I'm backing up a large amount of data, and it hits a memory limit. When I contacted CrashPlan a couple years ago, they suggested increasing the memory allocated to the service. I've since had to do this after a few Windows reinstalls. See this article: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/5/Troubleshooting/Adjusting_CrashPlan_Settings_For_Memory_Usage_With_Large_Backups

Or modify the CrashPlanService.ini folder to increase the allocated memory. This line snippet (modify -Xmx):

Virtual Machine Parameters=-Xrs -Xms15M -Xmx3072m

I had to go higher than 3072, but this worked. It's running stable again.

I can once again recommend CrashPlan.

Cyclonite
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I would expect to find that you have files of X size, such that the noted size has to be X+some extra for crashplan itself

Some of my audio project files are rather gigantic, but I would have expected the software would be setup to accommodate this without requiring me to mod ini files by hand. Perhaps the Pro client is.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It must be a pro thing. I have raw video files and installers that are 4, 5, 6gb single files and I've never messed with anything. Shit just works.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yep, I imagine it is a "simple" file splitting and reassembly they are doing to live within the memory constraints.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I'm currently running the SpiderOak demo and it looks like it'll do what I need. I'm definitely choked by my network's upstream bandwidth for the initial upload but it seems to be quick enough on down-sync. I'd like a little more shell integration but I've verified that it works the same on both Linux and Windows so that's at least something. I'll probably try a cold restore this weekend.

• Yeah, the few qualms I have with SpiderOak are shell integration and the fact that the CLI isn't great (you can run various SpiderOak commands from the CLI but for some reason on Windows the command ends up forking off to the background thus returning before the operation is complete making scripting impossible)

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I have zero resource issues with CrashPlan. It works flawlessly and having friends is not required (though it's nice). I pay for CrashPlan pro and have never regretted it.

CB
  • @primesuspect said:
    I have zero resource issues with CrashPlan. It works flawlessly and having friends is not required (though it's nice). I pay for CrashPlan pro and have never regretted it.

This may have to do with how new your computer is. Running it on a decade old MacBook Pro really lets you feel how crap software written in java tends to be when it comes to resources. Same for a 6 year old Windows desktop. Once again, just in my experience.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

My CrashPlan Pro app keeps crashing randomly, and I get the emails that my desktop isn't backed up. Can't see any rhyme or reason to it.

That's why I'm switching to my home-rolled solution of Macrium + Amazon. Also $5/mo instead of whatever I'm paying for CrashPlan.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    My CrashPlan Pro app keeps crashing randomly, and I get the emails that my desktop isn't backed up. Can't see any rhyme or reason to it.

That's why I'm switching to my home-rolled solution of Macrium + Amazon. Also $5/mo instead of whatever I'm paying for CrashPlan.

That's the same problem I was having, and increasing the memory allocation fixed it.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I'm having a similar cloud quandary, but not related to backup. I've been using Dropbox for years for my cloud storage and sharing across accounts. For a while I was using SafeMonk to encrypt a subdirectory, then they went out of business and I started using Sookasa's free plan. Now Sookasa is retiring the free plan, and their cheapest paid plan is more expensive than a dedicated encrypted cloud storage solution.

However, I am kind of hooked into the Dropbox ecosystem in the sense that I'd have to convince everyone I share files with to also convert, if I left Dropbox completely. Any suggestions for a similar encryption solution to Sookasa that runs in a subdirectory of Dropbox, but is less expensive than the $100 or so per year Sookasa wants to start charging? I don't really need a lot of space, I'm cloud encrypting under one GB. For a while I tried TrueCrypt but it was too much of a pain to constantly load and unload the container to get it to sync back up to the cloud.

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

I have been using SpiderOak One for a few months now, and I love it. I Have 250GB of space for around $9/month. For everything that Dropbox has, SpiderOak does it better, with the exception of the mobile app. I guess we'll have to see where the mobile app goes, but I also understand that the mobile app has less features for security reasons.

Garg
    edited March 2017

BTW, here's some advice for anyone thinking about switching to SpiderOak One.

• Because we are all advanced users here, it's best to shut off the Hive folder, which you can do in preferences. You'll have to do this for every device that is connected to SpiderOak.
    • The hive is supposed to give you a replica of Dropbox right out of the box. It's for people who are migrating, but don't understand all of the features yet. But it's pretty useless. You can't even change the folder location.
    • Start out with selecting the folders on each device that you want to backup. You are given a folder tree, and all you have to do is select the backup folders you want. They will automatically sync to the cloud. You have to complete this step before you can create syncs or shares.
    • If you want to sync a folder to another device, create an empty folder on the destination device and back it up. Then select the backup folder on the target device and sync it to the empty folder you just created.
    • Creating a shared public folder is really easy. Again, you have to backup the folder first, then create the share. They will give you a website link for accessing the shared folder publicly, and it includes folder navigation.
    • Mac & Linux users: Setup a backup/sync folder for your Screenshots to mimic Dropbox functionality.
    primesuspectTushon
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    • If you want to sync a folder to another device, create an empty folder on the destination device and back it up. Then select the backup folder on the target device and sync it to the empty folder you just created.

I normally would use "destination" and "target" interchangeably, so I'm a little confused. This probably makes more sense if I was using SpiderOak and had a mental picture of the GUI.

edited March 2017

@Gargoyle said:

I normally would use "destination" and "target" interchangeably, so I'm a little confused. This probably makes more sense if I was using SpiderOak and had a mental picture of the GUI.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't explain that well.

You can create as many syncs as you want, and the sync can be added to as many devices as you want.

You start with a folder that has some files in it. First, you backup that folder to the cloud. Call this Folder A.

Then, on the device you want to sync that folder to, you create an empty folder for it, and backup that folder to the cloud. (Since it's empty it just backs up the metadata for now) Call this Folder B.

Then, when you create the sync, you select Folder A and sync it to Folder B.

After this, both folders A & B will stay in sync to each other. Repeat on a third device, and you have a three-way sync.