Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Looking for suggestions on cooler, especially. @Thrax is going to recommend some RAM later.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Noctua NH-D15S or Noctua NH-D15 would be my choice for a new build, today.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Noctua NH-D15S is a bomb-ass air cooler. Or if you wanted to do an all-in-one water cooler, the Swiftech H240X2 is so good. If you want a slightly smaller air cooler, the Noctua NH-U14S is great.

Ensure they support socket AM4. I know Noctua does, not sure about Swiftech.

Noctua will send you a free AM4 upgrade kit to make their pre-AM4 models compatible: http://noctua.at/en/which-noctua-cpu-coolers-are-compatible-with-amd-am4-ryzen

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

No love for Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer series?

Noctua NH-D15s is not compatible with my case, the NZXT S340. I'll have to find something smaller

I do like the look (and the idea of silence) of the Swiftech H240X2. Hope they come out with an AM4 mounting kit soon. I might head in that direction.

• Noctua makes some great stuff, but God those brown fans... You have a window, can't cover that up.

That case and motherboard combo is screaming for white and black in combination. I have not used this, but I have used other Phanteks product and have always found the fans to be quiet and effective and the build quality of their heatsinks to be very good. I think the black PH-TC14S with white fan frame will look sexy as hell in your build and it will perform well enough unless you want to sport overclock then you should consider doing liquid.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-TC14S.html

@primesuspect said:
    I do like the look (and the idea of silence) of the Swiftech H240X2. Hope they come out with an AM4 mounting kit soon. I might head in that direction.

Looks like you're in luck: http://www.ocdrift.com/swiftech-releases-socket-am4-mounting-kit/

primesuspect
    edited February 2017

Ended up going with the Swiftech H240X2 Prestige kit. I am so excite about water cooling :D

The nice thing is I can easily add a block to my GPU and extend the system.

mertesnGarg

@primesuspect

This RAM: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sa-no-redirect=1

Set it to DDR4-2667 and plug in the suggested timings in the BIOS.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Damn, it had to be Corsair? #nope.jpg

Thanks! With that, I have my parts list :)

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Ryder said:

Well, where's the OCZ RAM?

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@mertesn said:

@Ryder said:

Well, where's the OCZ RAM?

The privateers must have gotten it all.

Garg

Wanted to go to a FreeSync monitor as well, so I got one on sale at MicroCenter today for $259. ASUS MG248Q.

edited February 2017

Adaptive refresh. It's impossible to go back to ordinary displays. It's so bad.

UPSLynx
  • I have a 27" freesync display. The experience is so much better for everything I do, but gaming, it blows your mind how turning VSync off improves the look and feel of everything. I swear I track a bit better in FPS games because I never get any frame stutter. You will love it.

edited February 2017

You very well may. Vsync can buffer up to 3 frames, depending on how it is implemented. So if you're running at 60 FPS (16ms), events you're reacting to on-screen and/or server updates may not be rendered out to your eyeballs for n+3 frames... or a full 48ms later. The potential perils of vsync!

Garg
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Could this be something that is happening in Rocket League? Recently, whenever I get close to the ball, I get occasionally get a very large stutter that comes in the form of ~5-10 frames per second play, for... a heartbeat. But its RIGHT when I need to determine where to put the nose of my car....

Tested: no its not.

Blerrrggggg... Tonight I get the CPU and motherboard. Two days from now the cooler, memory, and SSD.

Hrnnk

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

On Saturday? I hope they actually deliver it on Saturday and don't push it to Monday.

Eh, whatever. Maybe monday. I dunno.

edited March 2017

RYZEN hype train goooo

Cliff_ForsterGarg
  • @primesuspect said:

RYZEN hype train gooooi

Where is the "so sexy" button?

If I were to say... buy a new motherboard and processor, and wanted a fresh install of windows, how would I go about doing that with my current license?

Video card recommendations while I'm at this?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Did you originally set it up with your Microsoft account? If so, I believe you just login to the new PC with that account. Otherwise, in general, you can go through some call prompts and get re-activated this way
    https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/

@RyanFodder said:
    Video card recommendations while I'm at this?

I think new stuff is just around the corner, so you might wait to see further price drops.

Yeah I'm gonna wait until the next gen Radeon stuff is out.

Deal.