Nintendo Switch (formerly codenamed NX) and mobile gaming

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

yay snipperclips will be a launch digital game and only $19.99

Definitely worth checking this one out if you are picking up a switch.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

@Zanthian said:
    @Ryder That unit was actually a stolen prototype. The guy had to hand it back over to Nintendo.

Yea, I saw that the other day.

I am excited to see more indie local multiplayer games coming up on the roadmap.
    They are adding a multiplayer version of Stardew valley and Overcooked: Special Edition

Here is a presentation with other upcoming indie titles too:

00:10 - SteamWorld Dig 2
    02:05 - What the Nindies Are All About
    02:52 - Yooka-Laylee
    04:09 - Overcooked!
    04:49 - The Escapists 2
    05:15 - Gonner
    05:52 - Dandara
    06:23 - Kingdom Two Crowns
    06:45 - Runner 3
    07:55 - Blaster Master Zero
    08:44 - Flipping Death
    09:59 - Nintendo Switch's HD Rumble Feature & Graceful Explosion Machine
    10:38 - Mr. Shifty
    11:06 - TumbleSeed
    12:00 - Shakedown: Hawaii
    13:29 - Pocket Rumble
    14:23 - WarGroove
    16:23 - Stardew Valley
    17:00 - Looking Forward with Indie Games on Nintendo Switch

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14778316/nintendo-switch-cartridge-taste-test-dont-lick-it

I'm calling it, the Switch will be a failure. No console with bad tasting cartridges can survive in the modern era. Breaks immersion.

My housemate works at Nintendo and brought home a copy of Breath of the Wild for Switch yesterday and dared me to lick it. I did. I regretted it.

It's incredibly bitter and foul, and even though I licked it for less than 2 seconds, the "flavor" sat in the back of my tongue for the next 3 hours until I went to bed. No amount of water or food would get rid of it.

It's actually brilliant and hilarious. No way in hell a kid is gonna eat one of those things.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2017

@UPSLynx said:
    It's actually brilliant and hilarious. No way in hell a kid is gonna eat one of those things.

I can't speak from experience, as I've not procreated.... but my coworker is dubious of this. From his experience with toddlers, tasting bad wouldn't have changed their minds about it.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

^Truth.

Doesn't matter. If it fits in their mouth, they'll try to eat it.

primesuspectBuddyJ
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited March 2017

[Tries citing his own experiences as a child. Realizes how messed up of a kid he was, and probably is can't compare realistically.]

Well I'll just say that this is probably enough to teach some young ones a lesson, and not enough for others. They'll all try and put it in their mouth at least once, if they haven't already learned the lesson. That's a given no matter what really. That wasn't the point though. Rather if the bitterness is enough to make them spit it out, or if they'll try to swallow it regardless?

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

A bit more on topic, if you haven't played Shovel Knight, it will be available at launch for the Switch including the new campaign that is going live for other versions of it later this week. The Switch version will also NOT require the Shovel Knight amiibo in order to do co-op.

Shovel Knight, Breath of the Wild, Snipperclips and the new Bomberman are more then enough for me to personally validate getting one at launch. I'm still not sure what exactly I'm gonna do though. It's either get one now plus those games, or wait till Summer and get it plus those with Splatoon 2, and get Breath of the Wild for the WiiU in the meantime.

Zanthian
  • StackStack Sassy and short Icrontian

I can't wait to pick up my switch.

Zanthian
  • StackStack Sassy and short Icrontian

Tonight Perry and I will pick up at midnight along with Zelda, he is not allowed to play without me. I am still very psyched.

Got my shipment notification from target for the system and from amazon for Zelda.
    Let's Do This.

Went to the store a bit ago. I get there and the video game section has some conspicuously empty sections. The labels all have NSW on 'em. My first worried thought is that it flew off the shelves already. A true feat for my backwater town.

Nah, they just were in the process of stocking at the time I got there.

ZanthianBobbyDigi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

There are some consoles available on Amazon right now

BobbyDigi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

#neonorbust

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

We found one in our local Target. Purchased immediately. I can't help but feel like Zelda and the form factor transitions alone have entirely changed the way I consume the games.

primesuspect

Glad I could "help" ;)
    Shipped it this afternoon.

LincBobbyDigiRahnalH102

I got my copy of Mario kart 8D today. Something I noted right off was that almost everything was unlocked from the start. All the characters including the new ones, all the cups, 200cc and mirrored. Not sure about the vehicle parts, but I noticed the golden parts weren't unlocked.

The additions to online are nice too. Great for organized play. Some streamers over on Twitch are setting up their own tournaments/lobbies to play with fans for example.

Zanthian

Mario kart 8 is a perfect take and play multiplayer example for the system.

RahnalH102lulufitzgerald

I recall being extremely disappointed about the VS maps for Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U. The new ones in the trailer look outstanding, and I'm super excited to try them.

I just realized: this is the first console OR handheld gaming system I've purchased... ever... in my life.

As a kid, I got an original Game Boy and later an N64 as gifts. I got an original Nintendo secondhand from a friend (post-N64) for like $50 but I don't really count that. Otherwise, @primesuspect has been doing the game system buying around here for the last decade.

Zanthian
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

@Charity and I played some MK8 on the flight back today. The game looks/plays great with split screen and local wireless. We knocked out 1.5 hours of our flight without even realizing it. No chance to try the Internet play, but might give it a shot tomorrow. Played a few of the new battle maps. Much better than the previous design. Hard to tell how well they play, though, with just AI.

Moving away from MK8, I grabbed Voez a couple weeks ago. Finished the rest of the flight with that. Everything is unlocked from the start. If you like rhythm games, it's fun, but a lot of anime-esque music. I'd recommend grabbing the "free" version on mobile to see if you like the style before paying the full $25 on the Switch. I think I read that if you paid to unlock every song on mobile (vs grinding), it'd be about $37.

Zanthian

@GnomeQueen said:
    If the person who owns the switch goes on a trip and takes the switch with them, everyone else in the house doesn't have a console to use?

Isn't this how every console ever works? :wtf:

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@Linc said:

@GnomeQueen said:
    If the person who owns the switch goes on a trip and takes the switch with them, everyone else in the house doesn't have a console to use?

Isn't this how every console ever works? :wtf:

I can see this being the first time its a real issue. I seriously pick up and play the switch on the go more than I do on the TV (that could also be a function of children etc.)

You're assuming the Switch is designed to be a parked-at-home console. It's not. It's a handheld system first and foremost. Nobody ever thinks of having one 3DS for the household. Everybody gets their own.

MiracleManSTushon
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    You're assuming the Switch is designed to be a parked-at-home console. It's not. It's a handheld system first and foremost. Nobody ever thinks of having one 3DS for the household. Everybody gets their own.

Yea, I get that, and I'm saying that I don't want my own. I have no need for handheld system, so I hopefully won't find it fun as a household console.

See, I look at it from the other end: I don't care what piece of equipment is required to play Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Dragon Quest.... Whatever it is, I'll buy it.