Returning to Folding@Home in 2016

12345679»

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Been struggling with this for a while now. I've already rolled back though and have been humming along. Glad to finally get a solid answer to the issue though.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

If I could get my GPU stable, I could turn in a lot more points.

I think it's heat-related if I'm being honest. I couldn't fold on my home PC because my GPU kept crashing, but everything else works fine (gaming, etc.). I recently downsized my case, putting all my components in a tighter space, and suddenly I was overheating my GPU and even games were crashing.

I fixed the airflow issues and now I can game again, but F@H still crashes out. I turned it on last night on a whim to see if my airflow improvements would assure stability, and I actually turned in a WU for the first time in months on this PC (explaining my point spike), but today it crashed again while I opened Chrome while folding.

So, I do think my GPU isn't stable. I may upgrade my GPU when I upgrade to Ryzen but I don't really feel like an R9-380 is in need of "upgrading" per se.

Sigh.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Maybe you could upgrade the GPU cooler? The upgrade itself, plus possibly fixing any problems with the stock cooler's thermal paste might cool it down enough to be stable.

Here are some options for coolers. Quite a bit cheaper than a new GPU.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

@primesuspect, I was having similar problems with my EVGA GTX 650Ti board. Folding jobs often didn’t complete and I couldn’t watch a movie and fold at the same time. I like to fold 100% of the time and let the priority settings keep it from bothering me. I now use EVGA’s control application and set the video card at 80%. The temperature stays reasonable, the jobs complete, and I can’t tell that anything is going on in the background. If there is a similar way to control your card, reducing its power output may increase stability and your point count.

@Gargoyle said:
    Maybe you could upgrade the GPU cooler? The upgrade itself, plus possibly fixing any problems with the stock cooler's thermal paste might cool it down enough to be stable.

Here are some options for coolers. Quite a bit cheaper than a new GPU.

I've sort of been heading in that direction... or at least re-pasting the stock GPU.

But, remember, I have three gaming PCs to maintain, and the "dad-trickle-down-upgrades" effect makes it a bit easier to justify upgrading since I think @TheRedburn is due for a GPU upgrade and he would definitely be able to play BF1 and Doom on my R9-380.

Massalinie

@primesuspect said:
    If I could get my GPU stable, I could turn in a lot more points.

I think it's heat-related if I'm being honest. I couldn't fold on my home PC because my GPU kept crashing, but everything else works fine (gaming, etc.). I recently downsized my case, putting all my components in a tighter space, and suddenly I was overheating my GPU and even games were crashing.

I fixed the airflow issues and now I can game again, but F@H still crashes out. I turned it on last night on a whim to see if my airflow improvements would assure stability, and I actually turned in a WU for the first time in months on this PC (explaining my point spike), but today it crashed again while I opened Chrome while folding.

So, I do think my GPU isn't stable. I may upgrade my GPU when I upgrade to Ryzen but I don't really feel like an R9-380 is in need of "upgrading" per se.

Sigh.

I don't think it was a hardware issue.

Same GPU, different everything else. New motherboard, CPU, RAM, and fresh install.

Starting F@H last night, and it's been fine since.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2017

A word of advice for you folders who check stats every three hours. HFM.NET creates a webpage of all the clients you set-up in it. Buy a domain and have it upload its page so you have up to date information on all your clients. There is also a Android app called FAHControl that allows turning clients on and off via your phone. This app is for LAN access only but that just means you need to buy a raspberry Pi and set-up piHole which is pretty straight forward.

Now if there was just a triple crown event.

MassalinieprimesuspectBobbyDigi
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

I am making my move...

Sonorousprimesuspect