Verdun: A Squad Based Shooter set in the Great War

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian

To anyone who chats with me about my interests they'll know that after the Middle Ages and Cyberpunk the first half of the 20th Century, specifically the First World War is one of my biggest interests (Second place in historical interests)

For a really long time I had hoped for a good WW1 shooter or Strategy Game (I'd certainly prefer the latter but that's a gaming preference) and some time last year a little Indie Developer showed up on Steam's Early Access List looking for some support towards developing an entrenched, squad-based tactical shooter and I jumped on to support it in the slim hope that it would evolve into something amazing.

Just this last week my hopes were at least somewhat realized with the game officially entering Beta with the introduction of two new armies (Squads) atop the pre-existing French and Germans, the British Expeditionary Force and the Canadian Stormtroopers.

Only just playing it today there's a massive difference from just a month ago when the graphics were still relatively unoptimized, animations looked wonky when staring at other players and there were no bullet physics beyond 'point and shoot' and as it stands I'm having an insanely good time playing and I can't wait to see what their finished product is going to look like.

Long story short it'd be really cool to get some other Icrontians to sign up and play with me, the game doesn't have integrated voice yet and I genuinely believe that a coherent organized squad could absolutely destroy a few Jerry's on an assault or defense phase.

Anyways here's some screenshots from my game today.

First: Welcome to Vimy
Second: White Cross Approaches
Third: In the eye of the storm with nothing but a club

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2014

Pre-order now for the exclusive La-Z-Boy Trench Recliner and Austro-Hungarian Beer Koozie signed by Franz Joseph!

trooster89
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Interesting ...

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

This looks pretty cool.
    I might be interested on going in on a 4-pack.

@Ilriyas said:
    the game doesn't have integrated voice yet and I genuinely believe that a coherent organized squad could absolutely destroy a few Jerry's on an assault or defense phase.

There's always mumble.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

A video game named for an event that killed 700,000 people squicks me out a bit.

Yes, its too bad they couldn't have named it "World War Fortress 1" to distract from that fact. Then they could add hats...

ThraxBasilUPSLynx
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

@UPSLynx and I played a couple rounds last night, he really enjoyed it even though we were on a low pop server (4am will do that)

The game is fully released and recently got a fairly large xpack for free, along with animation and graphic updates.

Consider joining us, I dunno.

I've been wanting to get this game for a while. It'd be great to have some people to play it with. The next time it goes on sale I'll definitely buy it.

Its on sale right now in the latest humble bundle
    https://www.humblebundle.com/jumbo-bundle-8

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2017

And it's available on console as well! Looks like I'm going to expand my WWI library! (I have Battlefield 1 so far, but will have to add the first Toy Soldiers as well as Verdun.)

Anyone interested in squading up? I'll be on tonight.