Folding on Ryzen

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

I cannot get WUs for my CPU on my new Ryzen 7 1800X system.

The errors are as follows:

20:24:22:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:8080
20:24:22:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.45:8080': Empty work server assignment
20:24:22:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 171.64.65.35:80
20:24:23:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '171.64.65.35:80': Empty work server assignment
20:24:23:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Doing some reading on F@H forums it seems like there aren't work units for 8-core CPUs? Is there a flag I can set like -bigadv? Is that still a thing?

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited March 2017

Advanced Control > Configure > Slots

I'm not sure what you will want to input here as I'm not sure how the F@H client differentiates physical cores from SMT with Ryzen. I would set it to 4 and see if WU's start to run.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2017

Thanks @Sonorous. I set it to 8 cores, and it did download a WU. It downloaded project:13802 and it's estimating 5 days until completion :D:laugh:

Sonorous

Ah never mind, it just updated to 5 hours. Looks like my PPD just jumped up to 158k est.

BuddyJ

It's using 50% of my 16 cores, so maybe I will try to bump up to 16 and see what happens

lol nope. I set it to 16 and it crashed after 2 minutes. I'll keep it at 8 for now.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

An SMT core is not a core. A lot of workloads are ok with waiting for different sides of the SMT boundary, but others behave badly, as you have now seen.

Cliff_Forster
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Unrelated to crashes, but I've also heard that the Windows kernel hasn't been updated to keep threads from bouncing between the core modules (groups of 4 cores), and when it does, performance should improve.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    An SMT core is not a core. A lot of workloads are ok with waiting for different sides of the SMT boundary, but others behave badly, as you have now seen.

In my experience SMT has yielded pretty good performance for Folding. It's definitely worth it for the 4C/8T Haswell chip I have at work that cranks out twice the PPD as my 4C/4T Sandy Bridge at home.

• I have read that Windows is not handleing the AMD SMT quite right. In simple terms the OS sees it as more physical cores and thinks it can utilize it as such. So its like, where is the L2 cache and there isn't and it is making things less efficent right now. I imagine it will not take long to fix.

^ this makes the most sense. Ryzen uses a different SMT implementation than Intel, and it's quite possible that things need to catch up to things.

Cutting edge hurts!

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    it's quite possible that things need to catch up to things.

Truer words were never spoken.

@primesuspect said:
    Cutting edge hurts!

Hurts so good.

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian

That's excellent production for a CPU.

Man, I was folding during vacation but I think we had a power outage one week in, because my production plummeted while I was gone :(