A new laptop seemed like a good excuse for new steam games...

elyxandraelyxandra St. Catharines, Ontario Icrontian

Last month my 5 year old Mac Book went poof. $300 seemed like a lot to spend on a computer I only use for watching Netflix in bed, so it was time for an upgrade. Not only can I use my new Surface Book to watch Netflix, but I can make pretty art directly on screen. It's a miracle!

Steam was one of the first things I installed, and I picked up Mini Metro and Stardew Valley. Stardew is 100% on me, but I blame Mini Metro on @CB and the constant Twitter updates. I think I'm hooked, but I'm also TERRIBLE.

Any tips for me on either game, or adjusting to Windows 10 after being a Mac devotee for 14 years?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

OMG Nicole loves her surface pro. Great choice

• elyxandraelyxandra St. Catharines, Ontario Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

The boyfriend is a Microsoft guy - he counts this as a small victory in the battle of getting me to convert, but I'm only switching my iMac desktop if he buys me a Surface Studio :D (not going to happen)

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Mini Metro is one of my favorites to play on my Surface Pro, since I can play with just the pen and screen (unlike Stardew, which is okay otherwise, if you're into that sort of thing). I also like FTL and Puzzle Quest for this.

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

@elyxandra said:

@primesuspect said:

The boyfriend is a Microsoft guy - he counts this as a small victory in the battle of getting me to convert, but I'm only switching my iMac desktop if he buys me a Surface Studio :D (not going to happen)

Do you find it difficult to switch back and forth between the two? When my work bought me my MacBook Pro after using MS products for 25 years, it had to become my daily driver, because switching between the platforms was very difficult for me.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited April 2017

@djmeph said:

@elyxandra said:

@primesuspect said:

Do you find it difficult to switch back and forth between the two? When my work bought me my MacBook Pro after using MS products for 25 years, it had to become my daily driver, because switching between the platforms was very difficult for me.

I use both on a daily basis. What keeps me sane is moving the Windows task bar to the top of my screens on my PCs and I have been a long time advocate of people making a switch from Mac to PC to give it a try. Keyboard shortcuts are a different story.

@Sonorous said:

@djmeph said:

@elyxandra said:

@primesuspect said:

I use both on a daily basis. What keeps me sane is moving the Windows task bar to the top of my screens on my PCs and I have been a long time advocate of people making a switch from Mac to PC to give it a try. Keyboard shortcuts are a different story.

Keyboard shortcuts were ultimately why I decided to go full Mac. It didn't occur to me how much copy and pasting I do until i tried to switch between the two.

I actually think Windows shortcuts are more intuitive, because I don't understand why almost everything on the Mac involves the hairball key, but it's just really hard to learn two sets of shortcuts that are so completely different.

@djmeph said:
    I actually think Windows shortcuts are more intuitive, because I don't understand why almost everything on the Mac involves the hairball key, but it's just really hard to learn two sets of shortcuts that are so completely different.

Shortcuts have been the biggest challenge for me so far. I'm so used to the Mac environment, that I go to reach for the command key without thinking.
    This week will be the true test - working on Mac for work and Windows in the evening. This is my first time working in the Windows 10 environment, and I like the customizable start menu.

@CB said:
    Mini Metro is one of my favorites to play on my Surface Pro, since I can play with just the pen and screen (unlike Stardew, which is okay otherwise, if you're into that sort of thing). I also like FTL and Puzzle Quest for this.

I've gotten onto using the touch screen for metro. As I said, I'm terrible at it, but I'm enjoying the daily challenges to help me learn.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Mmm.... Stardew Valley.... and it runs perfectly on Linux. I've already sunk 70ish hours into it, and I didn't start playing that long ago either. Completed all the rec center bundles and everything. Screw you Joja Mart

elyxandra
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@elyxandra said:

@djmeph said:

Shortcuts have been the biggest challenge for me so far. I'm so used to the Mac environment, that I go to reach for the command key without thinking.
    This week will be the true test - working on Mac for work and Windows in the evening. This is my first time working in the Windows 10 environment, and I like the customizable start menu.

I think you will be fine. I think the constant use of both with help make switching back and forth easier as opposed to using one for months and getting adjusted to it, then having to flip back.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I've always run an MBP for work and Win10 at home. After a while, switching gets to be second-nature. Every now and then I'll reach for the wrong set of shortcut keys, but never enough to really interrupt my workflow.