Swoliversary

2»

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Really happy with my depth. Closing in on 1.5x bodyweight squat for high bar.

TushonLincfatcatLeahVoice
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

The other night @Annes asks what we're going to do when I visit again next month while @pragtastic is on paternity leave. I say, "drink?" at which she explains that "Eli isn't drinking while he's on this lifting program" etc etc.

And I have a good laugh and say, "that's a good one!" :D I don't remember the last time I showed up at Eli's door that a beer or whiskey wasn't open within the hour. If he doesn't make his next goal you can blame what a shit influence I am. I accept it.

UPSLynxcola
    edited December 2016

@RyanMM The only important question is: Are you able to deadlift the weight of a full barrel yet? #realgoals

RyanMM

@Linc said:
    @RyanMM The only important question is: Are you able to deadlift the weight of a full barrel yet? #realgoals

Not quite there yet! That's a bit over twice my bodyweight. I got you covered for half-barrels though.

Linc

TushonMassalinie
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

With 15 days left, I have officially hit my goal of 1000lb club before 2017.

Squat, 345:
    https://goo.gl/photos/JEtNxCGRhxTNLBD48

Deadlift, 430:
    https://goo.gl/photos/cZFWFihZQgytu5K96

Bench, 225:
    https://goo.gl/photos/H9PmLYQvze5o8QQU8

Guess I need to come up with some new goals now :biggrin:

RyanMMGHoosdum

I think I threw my back out just watching the first two.

No comment about the crotch cam. I mean, bench video.

RyanMM

There are only so many ways to setup a camera for a bench video. Gonna have to live with it :P

Seriously Eli, badass man. Was 2015 when you started doing powerlifting for the first time or had you had some experience with that beforehand? What's your height and bodyweight?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Beast. Congrats Dude.

-Digi

@RyanMM said:
    Seriously Eli, badass man. Was 2015 when you started doing powerlifting for the first time or had you had some experience with that beforehand? What's your height and bodyweight?

Did some for the 2013? Spartan costume, so I guess that was the first time I seriously moved weights in the gym, but the focus was a bit different.

Height/Weight: 5'8", 170lbs

RyanMM

Swoliversary first edition here. Roughly one year after I started powerlifting, here's where I'm at aesthetically.

Strength benchmarks and 1RM videos to come when I can get around to editing them.

SnarkasmLeahVoice
  • LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    Swoliversary first edition here. Roughly one year after I started powerlifting, here's where I'm at aesthetically.

Strength benchmarks and 1RM videos to come when I can get around to editing them.

I'd hit that.

primesuspectRyanMMGnomeQueen

Look at that posture change in your profile pic @RyanMM, incredible difference. Looking forward to the PR vids!

RyanMM

Yeah, the posture thing is crazy. I definitely pay more attention to slumping/slouching, especially after working on the computer for a few hours, and try and keep my shoulders back more.

So here we are. A little recap of where I started:

3-6-2016 First benchpresses in over 10 years
    3-19-2016 First barbell squat
    3-19-2016 First deadlift
    4-7-2016 140lb 1RM benchpress (calculated, with bad form and painful shoulder impingement)
    4-9-2016 145lb 1RM deadlift (calculated)
    4-9-2016 145lb 1RM barbell squat (calculated)
    4-19-2016 Began Starting Strength routine
    4-19-2016 First overhead press
    4-19-2016 84lb 1RM overhead press (calculated)
    1-12-2017 Began 5/3/1 routine
    4-2-2017 Tested strength after ~1 year of lifting

So here we are, my 1RMs, as of April 2nd, 2017, just over 1 year after I started powerlifting for the first time in my life.

Deadlift 1RM @ 240lbs
    Overhead press 1RM @ 100lbs
    Squat 1RM @ 220lbs
    Bench 1RM @ 130lbs

Also tried for some other bodyweight benchmarks for some other ways to gauge my progress over the next year.
    At 147lbs with shoes and clothes, I did the following:

Standard plank @ 2:15
    Side plank on each side @ 0:45
    Pullup @ 5 reps
    Pushup @ 29 reps
    Chin up @ 4 reps
    Dip @ 6 reps

I'm feeling really good about the program I'm on now and I can't wait to see where I'm at in 2018.

MiracleManSLeahVoice
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

Since we're going nuts and sharing things, today was a good day for me.

I can 100% say the following:

I've done 405lbs for Squat
    I've done 225lbs bench
    I've done 205lbs power clean
    I've done 485lbs dead lift (for a set of 5. I've not done more because there literally isn't weight available when I do it. Sad panda)

RyanMM

@RyanMM dude that is great stuff man!

@MiracleManS said:
    @RyanMM dude that is great stuff man!

Thanks man! Your numbers are impressive as hell - how long you been lifting?

edited April 2017

Since I was 13. So about 19 years or so. I didn't get "serious" into it until I was in high school and running track/playing football.

I took a pretty serious break after the kids were born. Its been about 3 years or so since I did anything even remotely close to lifting. I find that getting back into it is easy but staying consistent is the hard part.

RyanMM

It's been 6 months since I did some 1RM testing.

Previous numbers:
    Deadlift 1RM @ 240lbs
    Overhead press 1RM @ 100lbs
    Squat 1RM @ 220lbs
    Bench 1RM @ 130lbs

As of this last week:
    Deadlift 1RM @ 270lbs
    Overhead press 1RM @ 110lbs
    Squat 1RM @ 265lbs
    Bench 1RM @ 145lbs

All in all, respectable but not fantastic gains. I am gonna look to tweak my programming now that I'm 10 cycles into 531 and try and figure out where I'm losing gains.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Probably food.

@Thrax said:
    Probably food.

I think it's training volume primarily. I feel like I'm eating enough, easily hitting well over 1g of protein per lb bodyweight on lifting days. Without some sort of specific caloric and macro numbers to hit I'm not sure how I can improve on the food front. Other recovery stuff is good; 8 hours of sleep pretty reliably. The only thing I don't have a handle on is external stressors.

edited October 2017

You need to be eating that kind of protein every day, and probably around 2600 caloriess per day. If you want to reach peak gainz velocity, that is.

If you feel like the program is failing you, though, move to rippetoes starting strength. 3x8 all day errday.

I was on SS (minus power clean, plus pendlay row) before going to 531. Felt like squats every fucking training session was killing my other gains. Upper body started to actually catch up once I was down to squats once a week. The difference between December on SS and April on 531 was substantial.

I'd have to math out where I'm at - I feel like I'm at or above 2600 cals daily, with more calories from protein on training days. May not be hitting my protein numbers on rest days - if that's seriously where my leakage is, I'll be pissed.

edited October 2017

Other program to try is a basic 3-day split. Up to seven exercises in a day, with squat, bench and DL spread across the three days. Add sensible supplementary work from there (e.g. military press, skullcrushers and dips go well with chest day). 3x8 all the things.

3x8 or 3x5? Rippetoe SS is 3x5; 3x8 is entering hypertrophy rep range.

edited October 2017

You were concerned about volume. :) 3x8 for 6 exercises 3 days a week will solve that. Even then, 3x5 vs 3x8 is fuzzy and probably no small amount of bro science.

Everyone has different goals. I personally think 531 isn't much volume, yes. But it's quick, so that's good.

edited October 2017

Yeah, quick is a pro and a con. I have way too many days where my work schedule necessitates my accessory work be of the "I ain't doing jack shit" variety, so I'm getting my main lift in but a little extra time spent on that would be good on the days without accessory work.

My current plan is deload based on 90% of my newly tested 1RMs, no more AMRAPs on my final workset, then first set last AMRAP with jokers if I have stuff in the tank. That way if I don't have time for accessory work, I'm at least getting some added volume on the big lift, staying mostly in the strength range, and I'll have a few training cycles to build back up to last set of training maxes.

Also - a week or two of calorie tracking to see how I'm doing.

edited November 2017

Old thread is old, so let's freshen things up a bit.

405# Squat:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/us2aP2qlgrdjsHFu2

500# DL:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ts0vxT9WHjvsfg963

Still basically stuck on bench at 235#, so that leaves me with an 1140 total for now.

GnomeQueenRyanMMBobbyDigiRyanFodder

Meanwhile, I finally break the 2x bodyweight deadlift benchmark thanks to a few weeks of mixed grip training.

BobbyDigi