Detroit's Henry The Hatter threatened by rising rent costs

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian

http://www.wxyz.com/news/iconic-hat-shop-may-be-forced-to-move-as-detroit-rent-rises

The oldest hat shop in the nation (1893), the store sits on Broadway, which has seen rent increase with new businesses coming in. Sources tell Action News, owner Paul Wasserman could soon find himself priced out, meaning the historic site would be forced to move.

Wasserman told us today should that happen, he would seek another Detroit location, because his loyal customer base would not stand to see the store shutter its doors.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

in b4 the literal definition of gentrification

Soda
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I feel like an idiot, because I had thought that HtH went out of business years ago (not realizing it was the satellite store out in the burbs, I believe). I would have been making WAY more stops here over the years to buy hats.

Not that it would solve the rent issue (and believe me, I know about some rent nonsense). But we should absolutely have an Icrontic outing to buy some hats.

Hell, get Digi out there. He'd buy so many hats it'd solve the rent issue for a long time to come.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I drove/rode past The Hatter multiple times during Epic17. I should have made a point to go in. I know there has been trips to the hatter before but I either didn't go or it was before my run at Epic. Granted it sounds like worst case scenario here is they move but I really wish I would have experienced The Hatter already. I can only hope he can hold out 'til the next time I make my way to Icrontic land.

-Digi

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Rent wouldn't be an issue if their sales hadn't been cratering for years. Hopefully they can find a location that supports their sales levels and they can stay in business.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    Rent wouldn't be an issue if their sales hadn't been cratering for years. Hopefully they can find a location that supports their sales levels and they can stay in business.

I blame the memes.

UPSLynxGargRyanMM
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@primesuspect said:

Wouldn't a hat store moving in be gentrification? :coffee:

GnomeQueendrasnorDontCallMeKelso
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    I drove/rode past The Hatter multiple times during Epic17. I should have made a point to go in. I know there has been trips to the hatter before but I either didn't go or it was before my run at Epic. Granted it sounds like worst case scenario here is they move but I really wish I would have experienced The Hatter already. I can only hope he can hold out 'til the next time I make my way to Icrontic land.

-Digi

I think a relatively large contingent of the Pedal Pub folks expressed surprise that it was still surviving in that location as we rode past...especially after tour guide @gq mentioned how long they'd been open. It's a shame to hear their future is threatened.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

He confirmed that he's lost the lease and will have to move.

LincGarg
  • FargeFarge Icrontian

Well damn. So much for an icrontic hat outing if he is moving already.

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2017

@Linc said:

@primesuspect said:

Wouldn't a hat store moving in be gentrification? :coffee:

Only if the hats have birds on them.

RyanMM
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

If any of you are ever in Milwaukee you need to stop in and visit The Brass Rooster.
    https://www.brassrooster.com/
    This couple (mens and womens hats) were mentored by Henry, and when on of the old hat makers retired from there they ended up with a lot of his tools.
    It is a great place.