Anyone else have a Funko Pop problem?

It all started with a free Chewbacca Pop that came with a Christmas game purchase. Then my secret Santa got me a Stormtrooper and Gandalf. Now I have a collection of 30 or so figures... maybe 40, I gotta count? Some Star Wars, some LOTR, some video game themed, some Spider-Man, some Batman the animated series (because that Batman is best)... who else shares my strange obsession with these little display figures?

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

I have a Gundam Model issue that I have three just sitting there waiting to be built.

Cliff_ForsterCantiUPSLynx
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2017

The problem is that they didn't make one for Moltar. :(

Cliff_ForsterLevexRahnalH102UPSLynx
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

My friend has a huge funko pop problem
    This is only part of it

Cliff_Forster
  • @Canti said:

The problem is that they didn't make one for Moltar. :(

Those are awesome. Captain Caveman needs to happen.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    My friend has a huge funko pop problem
    This is only part of it

This looks more like a Harry Potter problem to me.

GnomeQueenLevex
  • elyxandraelyxandra St. Catharines, Ontario Icrontian

I have a very small collection (4), but always end up staring at them in the store for way too long, dreaming about which ones I should buy next.
    If they made a Peridot Pop I'd have to buy her right away.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I have a few pops, but mostly the ones wearing masks, like Kylo Ren. I find the huge blank eyes and lack of mouth unsettling.

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

@elyxandra said:
    I have a very small collection (4), but always end up staring at them in the store for way too long, dreaming about which ones I should buy next.

Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Peridot-Steven-Universe-Funko-Protector/dp/B06XK6JHKX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499785349&sr=8-2&keywords=peridot+funko+pop

• elyxandraelyxandra St. Catharines, Ontario Icrontian

@Colgere said:

@elyxandra said:

Like this? https://www.amazon.com/Peridot-Steven-Universe-Funko-Protector/dp/B06XK6JHKX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499785349&sr=8-2&keywords=peridot+funko+pop

TAKE MY MONEY!
    Somehow I missed that they had a second Steven Universe series. I've only ever seen the original 4 figures in store.
    Thanks for the heads up - now time to go shopping.

Colgere
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

While I don't have Funko Pop problem (1 total), I may have a statue/figure problem in general (30). I originally had one of Arthas (Lich King), Kerrigan, and Tyrael from a Blizzcon goodiebag, but gave two to my friend and his brother who are bigger Starcraft and Diablo fans then me. I've seen a large Nichol Bolas Funk Pop that makes me want to reach for my wallet. I also got an equally large Alduin Funko Pop for aforementioned friend for his birthday.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

These things... They're so ugly...

drasnorGnomeQueenBuddyJBasil
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2017

@CB said:

Thread Crap
    v. Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

-Digi

TushonCBThrax
  • @CB said:

@BobbyDigi said:

@CB said:

Thread Crap
    v. Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

-Digi

I waited the required 21 days, sir.

BuddyJ
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@CB said:

@BobbyDigi said:

@CB said:

Thread Crap

-Digi

I waited the required 21 days, sir.

From a post this morning :P

Don't like it, move along.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Relevant:

Cliff_ForsterCB
  • In all seriousness. I've always had compulsions to collect something. I had a massive baseball card collection at one time. Comic books, I think I had every important Spider Man issue from 1980 to 2000 at one point. I've done Star Wars toys, I've done various other toy lines. Heck even had a little stint with pewter and vintage lunch boxes.

I gave it all up about ten years ago. I drove to my local flea market and sold just about everything. Ebay for the valuable stuff but for more common items I just decided, hey, I don't need this stuff, I'm gonna be okay without it, house will have less clutter, I won't have to explain to my little girl why she can't open R2D2 up... I'll just sell the whole lot and stop collecting junk, and I took at bath on it all at the flea market a few weeks in a row, made a bunch of kids really happy. I just let it all go, and in a strange way, it was therapy, I no longer had that urge to collect stuff. It cured me.

Then.....

FUNKO!!! I don't know why but I have this delightful compulsion again. Every time I walk into a store that carries them I have to root through the shelves and look for the little gem. It's like I'm a kid again and it's a very familiar feeling, like opening a pack of baseball cards, or finally finding the issue where Ned Leeds is revealed as the Hobgoblin... The thrill of the hunt, I LOVE COLLECTING POP! I may need help... a twelve step program or something. But until then, SEND ME POPs!!

CB

@Tushon said:

Well... I was trying to start a discussion about their merits, especially relative to other collectables, since I don't understand the appeal, but I clearly did a poor job. I'll see myself out. :)

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

So these are the new Beanie Babies?

LincKaintenance
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2017

@BuddyJ said:

The "it'll be worth money one day so I can't touch it" thing is the weirdest self-deprivation to me, and I generally have issues with any collection you're not allowed to touch / unwrap / remove the tag. As soon as someone gets a Magic card "graded" and it's slapped in a permanent plastic case, it's worth zero to me. Constantly equating your collection to money sucks all my fun away.

True story: When I recently obtained a few rare & heavily-sought Magic cards, the first thing I did was take them out of their binder page and hold them in my hand. I did it in the name of "checking their authenticity"... but really I just wanted to touch them. :nudge:

BuddyJCliff_ForsterRahnalH102CB
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

A Black Lotus is only worth having if you're gonna play it. ;)

LincCB
  • @Linc said:

@BuddyJ said:

The "it'll be worth money one day so I can't touch it" thing is the weirdest self-deprivation to me, and I generally have issues with any collection you're not allowed to touch / unwrap / remove the tag. As soon as someone gets a Magic card "graded" and it's slapped in a permanent plastic case, it's worth zero to me. Constantly equating your collection to money sucks all my fun away.

True story: When I recently obtained a few rare & heavily-sought Magic cards, the first thing I did was take them out of their binder page and hold them in my hand. I did it in the name of "checking their authenticity"... but really I just wanted to touch them. :nudge:

People obsess over box condition. I'm in a Facebook group, we have occasional swap meets, and if a box has a little crease or whatever they can't wait to dump them, and I'm more than happy to trade or pay less for those because I throw most boxes in the recycle bin. Bobble head must bobble man!

I used to keep carded toys, that's so silly. Toys are meant to be touched, played with. I mean it's okay to have a little shelf with a display of some toys but the obsession about keeping them in the package or on the bubble card forever is also odd to me. I had a collection like that at one time and saw how silly it was. Buy something to never touch it?? It's weird. A lot of obsessive collectors like that, I don't judge... but yeah, they are weird.

I don't get them for value, I don't care about that. Some guys though, they will spend hundreds on a "Vaulted" rare item. I just hunt at the typical $10 retail price. I'm a sucker for a good buy two get one free sale. I think POP! is neat because there is something in the line for everybody. It hits just about every area of popular culture and they are being released so rapidly, literally every couple of weeks the rotation at the store may change. New items introduced, special editions release, certain items announced for the vault so finding it gets harder. It's hard to put into words, it's an accessible collectors hobby that scales easily to the specific collector.

Linc
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2017

@BuddyJ said:
    A Black Lotus is only worth having if you're gonna play it. ;)

At it's current price, I actually agree - if you're not winning $ in tournaments what the hell did you buy that for. But I'd break down and wear cotton gloves for that level of ridic card touching. :p

BuddyJ
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2017

@CB said:

@Tushon said:

Well... I was trying to start a discussion about their merits, especially relative to other collectables, since I don't understand the appeal, but I clearly did a poor job. I'll see myself out. :)

It's an unwritten rule that being snarky in a thread that I produce is slightly more acceptable than other threads because I kinda have it coming....

@CB I forgive you for your slight of my beautiful POPs! I know one day you will envy me for my collection.

LincZanthianCBGnomeQueen
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I don't have a Funko problem, I have a 3D Printer problem. My third one arrived last night.

Cliff_ForsterBuddyJGnomeQueen
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited August 2017