Icrontic 2018 Events & Accommodations

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited November 2017 in Events

Events 2018

All events unless otherwise noted are at our headquarters (OK, home) in Detroit, Michigan and hosted by myself, @primesuspect and his wife @PinkInDetroit, and my husband @Aaron.

I'm gonna point out y'all need to re-read the "sleeping at the house" rules real bad. Don't think a single person put their towels or sheets down the chute after ICOK this year. I ain't your momma.

πŸ€ St. Paddy's & Marche Du Nain Rouge

22-25 March β€” 11th Annual #ICSP

Boardgame & beer weekend with a costumed march thru Detroit on Sunday in the early afternoon. Bright colors (especially red) and ridiculous costumes are appreciated - we're trying to scare the Nain Rouge out of the city to start spring! To participate in the march, do not plan to leave the event before 5pm Sunday (as in, book your flight well after that).

πŸŽͺ Expo Icrontic

20-24 June β€” 15th Annual #EPIC

Video games, boardgames, field trips, and food! This is the big one. We pack Wednesday night thru Saturday night with scheduled fun in Detroit, including a LAN party and new things to try every year. This is the only event we charge an admission fee to cover swag, rentals, materials, and the cost of running this website all year. We welcome friends & newcomers and typically see more than 60 guests. If you'd like to coordinate an event, please contact Linc by the end of March.

Guests may arrive as early as Sunday, 17 June for this event. Scheduled events begin with dinner on Wednesday, 20 June. Official kickoff is Thursday, 21 June at 3pm. Events run until midnight on Saturday, 23 June when we have our annual prizes and awards gathering. A full schedule will be available when tickets go on sale in May.

🍺 Oktoberfest

25-28 Oct β€” 12th Annual #ICOK

Boardgame & beer weekend with a Halloween costume party on Saturday night. We have fairly organized lunch/dinners Thu-Sun except for Saturday when we order pizza to allow everyone time to change into their costumes. The costume party usually swells to over 40 guests.

🎊 New Years

30 Dec 2018 - 1 Jan 2019 β€” 11th Annual #ICNY

Come celebrate the new year with your Icrontic buddies. We'll have champagne! This is the most low-key event of the year... well, before midnight, anyway.

Accommodations

PLEASE RE-READ THESE BEFORE EVERY EVENT.

Start/end dates: Please clear arriving earlier or staying later than the listed dates with Linc or Brian.

Airport rides: Please coordinate a ride to & from the airport from other guests whenever possible. Please let Brian or Linc know if you haven't secured a ride by the day of your flight. No one in the house is waking up at 6am to take you, so you better have a plan if you book a crazy early flight. See also: Booking departures during the Marche du Nain Rouge. Nope, don't need it.

Showering at the house:

• We provide towels. They are stacked inside the bathroom, behind the door.
  • Hang up your towel; not on furniture. Additional towel racks outside the bathroom.
  • Leave the hook by the shower free for clothing.
  • Please deposit towels down the laundry chute in the bathroom closet at the end of the event.
  • We have guest toiletries stored just outside the bathroom. Please ask for or find the "Guest" labelled bottles; don't just take the residents' soap.

Sleeping in the house:

Our spacious attic & basement often have room for sleeping; the spaces are unheated but usually quite reasonable aside from New Years. We have multiple mattresses, futons, cots, and padded tatami mats. You may bring an inflatable mattress if there is room (typically we can only fit 2-3 per event, so ask).

• Reserve space before the event begins; include what nights you will need it.
  • ALWAYS use a pillowcase + a fitted sheet no matter where you sleep. Ask for them.
  • ALWAYS deposit linens + towels down the laundry chute at end of the event.
  • Fold any blanket/comforter & leave it with your pillow on your bed.
  • NEVER walk on any sleeping surface, especially the tatami mats.
  • Avoid sleeping in the living room unless we're over capacity in other areas.

Miscellany

All events are BYOB. There are 2 side-by-side beverage fridges in the pub. The left is shared; the right is drink-only-yours (limit storing 2 at a time). Coolers available on request. Please don't bring coolers.

Up early? Consider collecting cans, bottles, and glasses from around the house and rinsing them. If you want to help separate the recycling or use the dishwasher, ask a veteran for guidance.

Headed to the store and want to know if we need anything? The house should always have 3 things: Toilet paper, paper towels, and 2% milk. If any of them is in short supply, we'd appreciate more. (We keep spare TP & paper towels in the linen closet on the second floor.)

Spill or break something? It's cool, but please tell us immediately so we can help mitigate the damage (or replace it).

Coffee is similar to beer fridge rules: If you plan on drinking some, please consider buying a pound of whole beans or chipping in $5. If it's prior to noon and the kettle is empty, refill it using the small filtered tap and turn it on immediately. We have French press, pourover, and AeroPress equipment as well as a very nice burr grinder available. Flavored beans are forbidden due to leaving terrible flavored oil residue on the gear.

Parking: Detroit ordinance limits are 20' from a Yield sign, 15' from a crosswalk, and 10' from a fire hydrant. All of the above exist on our corner. When in doubt, ask us.

Fire safety: Extinguishers at every floor of each staircase, including carriage house, plus at the back of the kitchen on the wall. Smoke detectors are wirelessly linked to all floors. Three-story escape ladder is on the neighbor's side of the attic.

GHoosdumMytchBobbyDigielyxandra[Deleted User]Kaintenance
Β«1

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I've amended the coffee section because I'm going on a few times now where very expensive special coffee was all used up before I really got any.

GnomeQueenRyanMM
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    I've amended the coffee section because I'm going on a few times now where very expensive special coffee was all used up before I really got any.

Can you provide guidance on whole beans to buy or have money guidance posted nearby?

I'm not sure your edit helps with being out of something before you get up though

Thraxmalia
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Can I send EPIC 2018 prize contributions early?

@drasnor said:
    Can I send EPIC 2018 prize contributions early?

Sure.

I meant my own personal beans were used; there is an assumption that the coffee grinder is public access. Did I fuck up by not removing my beans before an event? Yes.

Okay, gotcha. I think the amend re "similar to beer fridge rules" would require knowledge of the relative price of beans for us to go comparable/replace. I know that I have had your fancy beans in the past (with your blessing/prep, I think) and they are delightful, so I'd happily chip in to continue having that available since I don't know the fancy.

• maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

+1. Would love an amazon link or similar so we know we’re getting a kind of bean you’d enjoy. Plus it makes ordering super easy.

@Tushon said:
    Okay, gotcha. I think the amend re "similar to beer fridge rules" would require knowledge of the relative price of beans for us to go comparable/replace. I know that I have had your fancy beans in the past (with your blessing/prep, I think) and they are delightful, so I'd happily chip in to continue having that available since I don't know the fancy.

I tend to buy seasonally from local roasters, so nothing "orderable". It's okay though :) It hasn't been an egregious problem, just coffee that's been gifted to me has been wiped out a few times. It's my fault for not removing the beans from the grinder before an event.

• GylvanasGylvanas Henderson, Nevada Member

I am really considering coming to the Epic this year!

RyderprimesuspectSonorous
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Oh shit, I just realized I've been violating the cooler rule this whole time.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    Oh shit, I just realized I've been violating the cooler rule this whole time.

Your mini-cooler ain't the issue. ;)

RyanMM
  • GylvanasGylvanas Henderson, Nevada Member

@Chakori said:

My wife is concerned that I am going to get slaughtered when/if I come out there and stay in the house.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Chakori said:

@Chakori said:

My wife is concerned that I am going to get slaughtered when/if I come out there and stay in the house.

Been there, done that!

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2017

@Chakori said:

What animal would you say that you taste most like? Just curious.

Lincmertesn
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

@Chakori said:

@Chakori said:

Stereotyped response to how Detroit is perceived. There are places you shouldn't go at night, not going to debate that. Stay out of those places and it's fantastic. We have a lot of fun and none of those types of problems in the last 5 years. It gets better every year, too.

Massalinie
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

Shiiitttt I need to plan ICTX....

DontCallMeKelsomertesnKaintenance

All the residents of the house, past, and present, have all died and been slaughtered dozens of times over

GnomeQueenRyanMM
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Can confirm. Was shot five times and mugged twice.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

The times Rocky shot you don't count, though.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Has anyone seen my liver? I can't remember if it got shot out of me or cut out for sale on the black market.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:
    Has anyone seen my liver? I can't remember if it got shot out of me or cut out for sale on the black market.

Sorry about that. Needed to buy alcohol and lottery tickets

GnomeQueen
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:

I only took a lobe, @GnomeQueen. Didn't anyone tell you that's how the Beer Fairy maintains his eternal youth and vigor and lack of cirrhosis?

DontCallMeKelsoGarg
  • @RyanMM said:
    I only took a lobe, @GnomeQueen. Didn't anyone tell you that's how the Beer Fairy maintains his eternal youth and vigor and lack of cirrhosis?

GnomeQueenRyanMM
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

@Ryder said:

@Chakori said:

@Chakori said:

Stereotyped response to how Detroit is perceived. There are places you shouldn't go at night, not going to debate that. Stay out of those places and it's fantastic. We have a lot of fun and none of those types of problems in the last 5 years. It gets better every year, too.

says the guy who had his car jacked...

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

From somewhere that isn't the house.

GnomeQueenprimesuspectMassalinie
    edited December 2017

@primesuspect can these get on the IC google calendar?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Who uses the Google Calendar?!

-Digi

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

I feel like we had this conversation last year... #old #forgetful

MassalinieGHoosdum

I'm gonna point out y'all need to re-read the "sleeping at the house" rules real bad. Don't think a single person put their towels or sheets down the chute after ICOK this year. I ain't your momma.

I can verify I did this after ICNY. :cookie: