SEND US HEAT!

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

It is too cold here in the South, it snowed in Tallahassee two weeks ago and we have another chance of snow in a few hours with a high probability of sleet and/or freezing rain.

To put this in perspective: I am 34. I have seen snow on the ground here in Tallahassee, FL, exactly TWICE in my life. I have seen snow flurries and freezing rain/sleet/winter mix maybe a half dozen times. I have NEVER seen any combination of the the previously mentioned more than once in a year. The past two winters I was catching tropical fish all year (surface water temp greater than 68F) and this year the surface temps are in the mid 50F at the 80 mile buoy (edge of the Gulf Stream).

To our friends in the Southern Hemisphere: HALP! SEND HEAT! WE SEND COLD IN RETURN!

Comments

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Can we get some here to, I swear I think I saw someone crawl into a Tauntaun on the way to work yesterday it's so cold.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

We can use some in Austin, Tx too! It went down to 18F last night after a high of 28F yesterday. The good news is that it is supposed to hit 30s today but at 10:46 it is only 26F.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Back in the day that meant you needed trader cred on Heatware.

GargEMT
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Meanwhile in Michigan

MassalinieGargUPSLynxlulufitzgeraldWagsFTW
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

The cold is awesome!

I recommend that @pigflipper goes camping in -40F. Of course i mean with tent, sleeping bag and no portable heaters.

Tushon
  • I spent the Winter of 99 living in Cleveland. Coming back to Baltimore I swore I'd never bitch about how cold it was again. East of the lake in Cleveland is a special kind of Winter, it's just wrong... 100% wrong. Seriously, I'd rename Cleveland Hoth if I ran things. Now in Baltimore you get Winter, and you can get the worst of it, but it's rarely for any sustained period of time, usually a couple / few days, then back to something like 38 degrees. Cold, but not freezing to death. This year is the first time I've felt the freezing Hoth like cold of Cleveland in Baltimore for about two weeks straight. Single digits, sub zero some days, just nightmare cold, I hate it. This winter has been brutal so far despite not having a horrible storm. Some snowfall, nothing too serious, but damn it's been cold in the B....

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

Snow is great! If it sticks it means you can start keeping leftovers and beers outside! The world is your chest freezer!

Mt_Goat

The nice thing about this intense cold snap is that after a week of below zero, when it's 20F it feels warm out!

Mt_Goat
  • I can't imagine what that is like.... no, just plain no. If you said here is ten grand free and clear to live there for just one day, the answer is no. Hell no!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:

I can't imagine what that is like.... no, just plain no. If you said here is ten grand free and clear to live there for just one day, the answer is no. Hell no!

I agree. Something about "hard to interview people because they won't stop to talk, running from oasis of warmth to another" ... nah, that ain't me.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I read that story and was like hmmmm sounds like an interesting place to take in. The fish market that was just frozen fish everywhere standing up in baskets like baguettes was cool.

The way people can adapt to that shit is amazing.

@Karma said:
    The way people can adapt to that shit is amazing.

Ah, yes, the rampant alcoholism and having to poop outside in the winter. "adapt" ;)

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I've only got one heat.

Also, -40° F = -40° C

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

In Michigan, especially on the west side of the state, we get spoiled when it comes to winter considering our latitude.

There's a giant heat sink to the west of us (Lake Michigan), which very much moderates what we see in both the winter and summer.

On just about any given day in the winter, compare the weather in Green Bay, WI with Ludington, MI. They're roughly the same latitude, but Green Bay's weather is almost invariably SO much harsher.

The same goes for Chicago vs southern MI. Huge differences.

Unfortunately, every now and then, the buffer doesn't work and we see things like -26F actual in Detroit, but that's more rare.

In short: Sorry, Piggeh, but it's cold up here, too.

Cliff_Forster
  • It makes you think about how strange yet amazing the planet it. Given the vastness of space, the depth of our own solar system, Earth isn't that big, yet a tiny little shift in positing, angle, pitch, and you have massive variances in temperature. Some places become downright uninhabitable. On a planet so rich with life you are never really that far from freezing to death. Just remarkable how delicate that balance is.

edited January 2018

@drasnor said:
    I've only got one heat.
    Also, -40° F = -40° C

Also, -40F = -40C = 233.15K
    (edited back to perfection my me 19 Jan 1:16 PM)

@Mt_Goat said:

@drasnor said:
    I've only got one heat.
    Also, -40° F = -40° C

Also, -40F = 40C = 233.15K

something ... isn't ... right

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

Good news everybody!

Back to the upper 60s/low 70s this weekend!

Winter finally figured its shit here in Florida.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

It was 25 this morning in Orlando. We couldn't go outside today with the kids until after noon.

@Tushon said:

@Mt_Goat said:

@drasnor said:
    I've only got one heat.
    Also, -40° F = -40° C

Since I haven't edited my post. It appears that you seem to have misread something sir. This does compute.

-40 °C (Celsius)
    -40 °F (Fahrenheit)
    233.15 K (Kelvin)
    -32 °Ré, °R (Réaumur)
    419.67 °Ra, °R (Rankine)

Canti
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Mt_Goat said:

@Tushon said:

@Mt_Goat said:

@drasnor said:
    I've only got one heat.
    Also, -40° F = -40° C

Since I haven't edited my post. It appears that you seem to have misread something sir. This does compute.

-40 °C (Celsius)
    -40 °F (Fahrenheit)
    233.15 K (Kelvin)
    -32 °Ré, °R (Réaumur)
    419.67 °Ra, °R (Rankine)

You didn’t put the - in front of the 40C in your last post....

edited January 2018

What the fuck is up? At the time of my last post the post in question was correct and unedited. Now it is edited to reflect being incorrect. I made a point of double checking both facts of not being edited as well the -40C. The only thing i could have done to cover my ass would have been a screen shot. :wtf:

@Ryder is trolling you.

Mt_Goat
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Damn it! Foiled by the admin.

BobbyDigiMt_Goat

@Ryder said:

booooooo

It's not nice to mess with cranky old dudes home alone on pain meds. :p

RyderGnomeQueen
    edited January 2018

@Tushon said:

@Ryder said:

booooooo

I've been around long enough to see the ol' Goat properly riled, so I thought that was a good exit point. ;)

Mt_GoatTushon