PSA for events: Detroit just banned Airbnb

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Ok so not ALL Airbnbs, but the majority of them based on this article from Curbed.

New zoning laws that went into effect this morning prohibits houses in R1 and R2 districts, in which the majority of Detroit Airbnbs reside. I'm not sure what district Woodbridge is in, but from what I think I understand from this zoning map, it sure looks like R1. I think.

Anyways, something to keep in mind for future events, especially for Expo. Might be time to reconsider hotels.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian

Noooooo!

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2018

Aaron and I are actually planning to AirBnB the extra bedroom when Brian & Nicole move out.

While I am opposed to entire-house rentals (of properties dedicated to that) in R1/R2 districts, entirely banning it is horseshit.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

This house is zoned R3. Many in Woodbridge are.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/Maps/Zoning Map Index/pdf/zmap5.pdf

Linc
    edited February 2018

Whew.

I'm still opposed to blocking AirBnB in primary residences. I think this R1/R2 vs R3 stuff is pretty silly. The rule should be: No single-family homes can be used for AirBnB unless its the rentee's primary residence. If you live there full time, you should not be restricted in how you rent your space. And neighborhood single-family homes are not appropriate venues for full time AirBnB rentals.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

One thing you learn living in Detroit:

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180209/news/652531/detroit-wont-enforce-new-airbnb-ban-in-certain-homes-pending-legal

GnomeQueenGarg

The Curbed article has been updated extensively as well, with everyone from the Mayor to Council to the department enforcing saying, "whoa now, that's not what we meant to do".

• "Read the laws we wrote and passed? Who? Us?"

GargWagsFTW
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Legislators need software QA testers.

"Here's a law. It's intended result is X"
    "So, when presented with situation A, the result is actually Z"
    "Hmm, that's definitely not our intent. Let's rearrange things a little. Try now"
    "So, when presented with situation A, the result is X. But, when presented with situation B, the result is 'the entire city is now in a sinkhole'"
    "Hmm, ok, let's see if we can fix this before implementation..."

BetsyDGargGHoosdumCB
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

There is evidence that we are currently living in the simulation used for testing potential social policies.

GHoosdumGnomeQueenTushon
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:

"Hmm, that's definitely not our intent. Let's rearrange things a little. Try now"
    "So, when presented with situation A, the result is X. But, when presented with situation B, the result is 'the entire city is now in a sinkhole'"

Look, we're out of time. Situation B only happens in 17% of workflows in a very specific scenario, so let's just ship it, release a known issues note, and fix it in a patch.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:

@AlexDeGruven said:

Look, we're out of time. Situation B only happens in 17% of workflows in a very specific scenario, so let's just ship it, release a known issues note, and fix it in a patch.

Leaves TODO in notes and literally never comes back to it.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

@Tushon said:

@Snarkasm said:

@AlexDeGruven said:

Leaves TODO in notes and literally never comes back to it.

Leaves very vague To-do notes that nobody other than original legislator understands.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@d3k0y said:
    original legislator understands.

That's optimistic.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2018

@d3k0y said:
    nobody other than original legislator lobbyist understands.

FTFY

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Sorry R2 no sweet sweet side income for you.