Distance Runner!

njbmdnjbmd Member

Hey, I'm back! It's Nat the Surgeon, former friend of Profdlp. I am now a long distance runner (marathoner, half-marathoner) but essentially doing my distance running at 3:00 AM. It's the only time I can fit it in before hitting the hospital or the college for teaching duties. Needless to say, I have dropped an amazing amount of weight (now quite thin) but glad to be back on the site.

Anyone else out there doing some long-distance running? Drop me a line or post some of your experiences.

Massalinie

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Paging @malia @Massalinie @_k @BetsyD (I know there are more runners!)

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian

I suppose I'm a runner :) I've run 1 marathon 4 years ago, 10 halfs and a few dozen shorter races. My preference is definitely the half, because that's one that I can reasonably build up to from my normal base within 4-6 weeks.

However I am about to start the training for a 2nd marathon because I want to run the dreilander marathon at Lake Constance this fall. I think it would cool to be able to say that I ran a marathon through 3 countries, and I want to see if I've learned anything about running in the 4 years since my last one.

I prefer the Hanson's marathon method over the Higdons, I definitely feel better in my running when I'm running shorter distances more frequently rather than fully recovering between every run. So even when I'm not specifically training for something I tend to run 5-6 days a week, max 5 miles per run, as my base mileage.

Massalinie
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2018

Oh wow! Welcome back Doc! Really good to see you here, and congrats on your lifestyle change and weight loss!

• MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

Nice! 3am though, oh boy. That's some dedication! :-D

I first started running last January to train for a 10k which my company sponsors us to run/walk annually. I've since done 3 10ks, ran my first half marathon in November, and I just ran my first full marathon one week ago today!

Not planning on going farther than that in the foreseeable future but I'd like to improve my half marathon and 10k times before maybe attempting a marathon again.